G80 SLI for DX9 games not needed?

kleox64

[H]ard|Gawd
Iam having a hard time deciding whether to go SLI with DX9 games, I will be playing the latest titles at 1920x1200 16AF 4AA SSTA High-Quality. Iam thinking SLI wont bring viable performance benefits until DX10 titles such as CRYSIS appear (in March/April), bearing that in mind Nvidia will be readying a refresh of the G80.

Any ideas?

I heard Crysis would be here XMAss? you have heard otherwise?

If that is the case, then I have no compelling reason not to wait for the DX10 refresh before pulling the trigger

Why would they release Crysis without the support of the DX10 driver...

I could see a co-release with Vista, but that's about it.

PLEASE, god, let me be wrong :)

Arcygenical said:
Why would they release Crysis without the support of the DX10 driver...

I could see a co-release with Vista, but that's about it.

PLEASE, god, let me be wrong :)

I understood it to be fully DX9 compliant as well

Yeah, so did I, but still, it's major selling point is the fact that it'll probably be the FIRST DX10 game... It would be PERFECT for a dual launch, as both manufacturers would benefit from having "something to show for their effort"

It's like the PPU... If Ageia had released an awesome game with their card, sales would have been higher.

If MS releases DX10 at the same time an awesome game hits the market, well... Who knows!

I'm just speculating of course, and I'd love to see how this runs under DX9, as I'm *not* upgrading to Vista for a long, long time.

jacuzz1 said:
I understood it to be fully DX9 compliant as well

It is. Everything you saw of Crysis until now (Videos, Images), is DX9. G80 will be the fastest DX9 card around, with DX10 support, at least until R600 is out. When R600 is out, NVIDIA will probably counter it with an improved version of G80, which will consist of a die srhink from 90 nm to 80 nm and 1 GB GDDR4 memory.

kleox64 said:
Iam having a hard time deciding whether to go SLI with DX9 games, I will be playing the latest titles at 1920x1200 16AF 4AA SSTA High-Quality. Iam thinking SLI wont bring viable performance benefits until DX10 titles such as CRYSIS appear (in March/April), bearing that in mind Nvidia will be readying a refresh of the G80.

Any ideas?

To my knowledge, Crysis will be out until the end of this year. I think a single G80 will handle that resolution (and even further) with the eye candy maxed out in DX9. DX10 is another matter, but I believe the G80 will have enough power for it aswell, at that resolution.

you should still be able to play crysis on windows vista beta correct? i mean so you can get dx10 goodies.

I have a dell 2407 that's 1920x1200, that's why I'm buying a single 8800GTX.

These cards with 32 piplines and 128 pixel processors and 768MB's of RAM should handle 1920x1200 with at least 4xAA 16xAF. If they really have 256MB's dedicated to anti-alising, then definitely

Domini said:
you should still be able to play crysis on windows vista beta correct? i mean so you can get dx10 goodies.

I cant say 100% that it will, but I am sure it would run but not great seeing as how you are running the game in an OS that is not a final build.

winston856 said:
I have a dell 2407 that's 1920x1200, that's why I'm buying a single 8800GTX.

These cards with 32 piplines and 128 pixel processors and 768MB's of RAM should handle 1920x1200 with at least 4xAA 16xAF. If they really have 256MB's dedicated to anti-alising, then definitely

my current two 1900s can do that now.. drive those settings at 1920x1200 with good fps..avg 60 and more.. dep on game. I think the 8800GTX will be even /more/ powerful than them both.. so those numbers look sane to me. :)

As long as it can help me drive my Dell 3007 @ native even in current games...Ill bite. My X1900 Crossfire setup still comes up a bit short. As far as Vista beta is concerned running DX10 games........from what I read its not a final DX10 build.

Arcygenical said:
Yeah, so did I, but still, it's major selling point is the fact that it'll probably be the FIRST DX10 game... It would be PERFECT for a dual launch, as both manufacturers would benefit from having "something to show for their effort"

Actually, Flight Simulator X was released last week as (I think) the first DX10 title.

Back