G700 vs Performance MX vs Mamba

I'm looking for a new wireless mouse for gaming and general usage at home/home-office.

I mostly do single player gaming/MMOs (where mouse response isn't critical) and TF2 (where again, it doesn't matter much).

The G700 looks great, but I read a few reviews (engadget being one) where it didn't quite survive a full day of usage... I read that the performance MX while lacking the button-awesomeness got better battery life. What are people's own results/experiences?

How does the mamba compare as far as battery life? What would you all reccomend?

My mouse is sometimes used for 12+ hours (when working from home and on-call), would any of these survive this time period?

For a reference as far as comfort, I currently use an MX518 and love it but want to lose the cable as I already have too many cables and also need the desk space.

Thanks for any advice.

Read the Logitech forum thread linked by Bit-tech! I don't think it's an isolated issue as Logitech have acknowledged the problem and are already issuing a driver patch. Don't assume that because you, and most other users on [H] don't perceive lag (which seems to be of the kind related to battery saver performance) or wireless interference it doesn't exist.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-ser...ll-mouse-movements/td-p/482089/highlight/true

Last edited:
Read the Logitech forum thread linked by Bit-tech! I don't think it's an isolated issue as Logitech have acknowledged the problem and are already issuing a driver patch. Don't assume that because you, and most other users on [H] don't perceive lag (which seems to be of the kind related to battery saver performance) or wireless interference it doesn't exist.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-ser...ll-mouse-movements/td-p/482089/highlight/true

The new driver should be out soon, so I wouldn't say it's a negative against the mouse to not buy it.

As for the battery life, it doesn't last a full day. It's a gaming mouse first, productivity second.
It will drain the battery a lot faster. Also, the Mamba uses a Lithium Ion battery which lasts longer than a basic AA rechargeable battery like the G700 has. I like the AA better since I can replace it for cheap.

I have the G700 and the Performance MX. The G700 is a much better mouse, however battery life does not appear to be as good as the MX (only had the G700 for 3 days). I have the mouse on for about 14 hours a day and the battery have been able to go all day without a problem in non gaming use. The MX will go several days. So if battery life is a major consideration the MX is better. You can buy a charger and 2 Eneloop batteries for around $15 or 4 batteries with charger for around $20 and swap out the batteries as needed. That is what I am going to do. I ordered the batteries and charger today from Amazon. Although the shape of the 2 are similar I much prefer the "feel" of the G700 over the MX.

Last edited:
I've got a Mamba and Performance MX, I'll have a G700 in the next day or two.

I had the Mamba first and generally liked it, but it has a bunch of flaws that when it comes down to it, I wanted a "killer" mouse from Logi and I'm hoping the G700 provides it. The lack of a tilt wheel on the Mamba I missed sometimes, not tons, but sometimes. It had it's early firmware issues, but that worked out good enough for me. The battery life is kinda meh, and at night with the mouse on the stand plugged into my G19, it seemed like it would USUALLY charge it, but not always. I haven't had any problems leaving the performance MX plugged into it overnight with the computer off and not having it charged. The final straw was the mouse wheel started squeeking and I decided to just go back to Logitech. I need to see if I can get that wheel fixed under warranty and then I'll probably sell it off.

tl;dr - There was an issue with the G700 where the mouse pointer wasn't responding to small movements and kinda exhibited "stickiness" especially for slow, small movements. Only in wireless mode.

I like the way Logitech handled this issue. They actually have someone actively monitoring the forum (replied in SEVEN minutes) and assigning an engineering team to fix a problem, and within FOUR days, fix the issue. Four more days later, they churn out a patch: both a manual hot fix for immediate distribution, and an automatic patch to be released later through the public updater - this was to take longer because it had to pass through the QA testing and approval process.

Timeline:
Oct 30th: Someone posts the problem; Logitech responds in 7 minutes.
Oct 31st: Logitech engineering team assigned.
Sept 1st: Logitech reports back that the team is now working on it; requests further information from community.
Sept 3rd: Logitech announces that they've managed to fix the problem; working on a patch for distribution.
Sept 7th: Logitech announces intention to release a manual patch immediately, and later an official automatic patch.
Sept 13th: Original Poster reports that they gave him the hot fix and that it has fixed the issue.
Sept 20th: Official patch finished passing through QA cycle.

As of right now at timing of writing, the patch is live.

What other company does that? Remember the mouse acceleration thing with the Steelseries mice? They never acknowledged let alone fix that problem did they?
How about the Razer Orochi? Everybody was complaining that in wireless mode, the thing would go into stand-by mode every few seconds, which completely ruined it for gaming. Did Razer ever acknowledge, let alone fix this issue? To date, no.

FYI, I don't own a Logitech mouse but I think this is the tipping point for me. The level of community involvement and support Logitech showed here is freaking unbelievable and I'm about to bite the bullet on a G700 because of it.

Last edited:
What other company does that? Remember the mouse acceleration thing with the Steelseries mice? They never acknowledged let alone fix that problem did they?

This is the reason I returned my Xai two days after I got it. There is a point where acceleration ramps up when hitting a certain swipe speed. I know the G9x and G500 had this problem, did Logitech actually fix the issue?

I never claimed it didn't exist... I simply said I did not experience what they were referring to in my time with the mouse.

There could be 40 threads of the same nature, but the fact remains - I haven't seen it playing my games and still believe it's the best mouse experience I've ever had - and I like to snipe in the shooting games I play.

As for battery saver - I simply didn't bother with the battery saving option and turned on the maximum performance mode... Maybe that's why I haven't felt it that bad... I just plug it in to charge while my machine is idling while I'm away.

I've been using a Mamba since May last year, and love it. Back when it first came out there was a click jitter issue due to the lack of teflon ring around the sensor, but that was fixed. Also the z-axis tracking issue when lifting up the mouse is greatly exaggerated. I didn't even know it exists because I rarely pick up my mouse until I saw the video on youtube. I then tested it on my old G5, and the cursor jumped all over the place, which is worse than the Mamba.

Only problem I had with the Mamba is the squeaky wheel, which started after 7 mouth of use. Contacted support, and they sent me a new replacement within a week, and so far so good after anothe 9 months.

I have the G700 and the Performance MX. The G700 is a much better mouse, however battery life does not appear to be as good as the MX (only had the G700 for 3 days). I have the mouse on for about 14 hours a day and the battery have been able to go all day without a problem in non gaming use. The MX will go several days. So if battery life is a major consideration the MX is better. You can buy a charger and 2 Eneloop batteries for around $15 or 4 batteries with charger for around $20 and swap out the batteries as needed. That is what I am going to do. I ordered the batteries and charger today from Amazon. Although the shape of the 2 are similar I much prefer the "feel" of the G700 over the MX.

What, in your opinion, makes the G700 that much better than the MX? That said I did look up what the price of a charger is, and its not much, its just an added price on an already expensive mouse (which at least here is cheaper than the Mamba).

I've got a Mamba and Performance MX, I'll have a G700 in the next day or two.

I had the Mamba first and generally liked it, but it has a bunch of flaws that when it comes down to it, I wanted a "killer" mouse from Logi and I'm hoping the G700 provides it. The lack of a tilt wheel on the Mamba I missed sometimes, not tons, but sometimes. It had it's early firmware issues, but that worked out good enough for me. The battery life is kinda meh, and at night with the mouse on the stand plugged into my G19, it seemed like it would USUALLY charge it, but not always. I haven't had any problems leaving the performance MX plugged into it overnight with the computer off and not having it charged. The final straw was the mouse wheel started squeeking and I decided to just go back to Logitech. I need to see if I can get that wheel fixed under warranty and then I'll probably sell it off.

I would be interested to hear your opinions on the G700 in comparison.

From what I've read here, the Mamba probably isn't worth the extra money (20 euros more than the G700), so now its between the performance MX and the G700.

Just got my G700 a few days ago. I consider THE alpha and omega of mice. It seriously makes every mouse I've ever used look like a freaking toy.

Oh, and I have to say that while I love the feel of the Mamba, I'm so used to the "freewheel" mode on the Performance MX, because sometimes I have to scroll through some long pages, that to be able to have that feature on a gaming mouse will be nice. Looks like the G700 won't show up until Thursday now, sigh,.

Ok, this info is helpfull but is very subjective, I get my G700 on the 23rd of this month according to UPS and my biggest concern is the Battery life. What I think would help alot more is more objective information such as the DPI, and polling rates for all three of these mice and lastly battery life... if people could post the following info in the following format we could all get a better consensus:

-1.polling rate
-2.DPi
-3.Battery life
-4.Comments or related issues positive and negative.

Oh, and I have to say that while I love the feel of the Mamba, I'm so used to the "freewheel" mode on the Performance MX, because sometimes I have to scroll through some long pages, that to be able to have that feature on a gaming mouse will be nice. Looks like the G700 won't show up until Thursday now, sigh,.
Does the G700 have a notched wheel mode also? A defined notch/stop action feel is important for weapon changing in a FPS.

The G700 has a button behind the scroll wheel that allows you to toggle between 'flywheel' mode and 'notch wheel' mode.

I have experienced no lag issues.. it sounds like a driver issue with a very specific set of OS variables since all it took was a software update... not firmware or a trade-in. Im using win 7 - 64 bit pro, and I have had 0 lag issues... I even tested it using a special driver against a wireless mouse on a CRT with a high-speed camera... nada, zilch... no lag.

The battery life could be my only complaint... it doesn't seem to last as long as my x8, yet the x8 has an actual LCD readout too. I get it though, longer life means less performance or more weight, no way to get around that for the most part.

I wouldn't put much stock in bit-tech reviews... some of the worst crap I've read as far as their mouse reviews are concerned. Some of them make me wonder if they didn't just look at it in the box at the store and come up with something. Some of their opinions are just so far off it makes me chuckle.

Is the cable connector the same one the Performance MX uses? That connector annoys me, it's so small that it's a small hassle to get it plugged in. The cord is definitely one place the Mamba rules.

I wouldn't put much stock in bit-tech reviews... some of the worst crap I've read as far as their mouse reviews are concerned. Some of them make me wonder if they didn't just look at it in the box at the store and come up with something. Some of their opinions are just so far off it makes me chuckle.

Meh, never cared for reviews on computer mice; They all seem to say the same thing.

I hope I used that semicolon right.

LOL he's right Cabbs, it's lower case after the semicolon =(.

God I love being on this forum, where people actually USE punctuation!! =)

Meh, never cared for reviews on computer mice; They all seem to say the same thing.

I hope I used that semicolon right.

I like ... better
lol:p
... it is less formal after all. I am sure not to use it in my technical reports though; that would get me in big trouble.

LOL he's right Cabbs, it's lower case after the semicolon =(.

God I love being on this forum, where people actually USE punctuation!! =)

Haha yeah, most people here make an effort to be coherent. What really gets me is people that type like"wat r u up 2" or any variations of the sort. Drives me crazy on the inside!

I like ... better
... it is less formal after all. I am sure not to use it in my technical reports though; that would get me in big trouble.

I tend to be really formal on forums, not really sure why considering I'm pretty much the opposite in person.

I like ... better
Well, semicolons and ellipsis are not always interchangeable.

Ok, my thorough 10 minute use comparison....

Mouse texture- I think that goes to the Mamba, I like that total rubberized feel the best. I don't dislike any of them, but the G700 is the weirdest, in that the MX is smooth with a rubberized thumb area for grip. On the G700, the 2 sides are a gritty sandpaper-like texture. It feels weird, but it also gives you the extra friction to keep your hand from sliding off.

Mouse shape- No clear winner, it's just user preference. If I had to pick a winner, I'd say Mamba because it's easier to hit the side buttons, but as far as the shape, no biggie.

Mouse wheel- MX/G700 tie. I love being able to toggle between clicking and freewheel, plus being able to tilt if I need to. The only thing the Mamba has is nice blue lighting. Mamba also loses points for it's squeaky wheel problems. The G700 wheel feels just slightly tighter than my MX, doesn't freespin quite as long. That may or may not matter and may be a unit issue more than design issue.

Profile/battery lights - G700. The MX lights you can't see if your hand is on the mouse, and I had trouble seeing the Mamba lights clearly, partially because the LEDs were more vertical than on the G700, which has them sloped, and also the LEDs on the Mamba had a little bleed-through between the markings, no such problem on the G700, they're nice and clear. Plus the G700 does a nice job with using different colors, red for DPI, green for battery, amber for profiles.

DPI switching - G700. I haven't really put it to work yet, but I had trouble with the Mamba, sometimes I wouldn't hit the right button if I tried changing the DPI. The G700 is much easier to work with as far as knowing what button you're hitting. MX I didn't change DPIs much since it was more limited.

Buttons- This one is really hard to judge right now. The Mamba has the least amount of buttons and like I mentioned, I had a hard time blindly changing DPI on it. If you don't need as many buttons, you'll like the 2 big side buttons.

On the MX, the back/fwd buttons are kind of high, so they take a little getting used to them, but you're not going to hit the wrong button when trying to use them. I never used the zoom button below them much, so shrug about that one. The thumb button I did use for the application switcher...grr, and now I wish I had looked at it one more time before removing the setpoint 4.80 and installing the 6.15, because I swear it looked more like OS X's expose than the application flip, which seems to be the only switching option now. Am I right on that or am I crazy? I'll miss that if true.

For the G700, it of course has crazy buttons. The top 3 grouping are nice and easy to get to and the top 2 central ones are OK. It's going to be the 4 side buttons that people are going to like-hate the most. I'll have to use this more before I can really pass judgement, but like some reviews I've read, I have big hands and these 4 buttons are a little too close to each other. I kinda wish for the MX configuration on the side.

Mouse cord- Mamba easily is the best with the nice braided cable and 2nd best for ease of plugging in and taking off. Taking off is a little bit of a pain, so it made it the easy 2nd place vote. I really don't like the MX cable, I always found it a little bit of a pain to get it plugged in, so I was dreading it when I heard the G700 used the same USB connector. BUT, the G700 is way easier to plug in, I'd vote it the easiest for combined plugging and unplugging. The G700 cable connector is physically different than the MX, because the G700 guides you into the port, so it's easy to plug in. So I don't have any plans to resort to spare batteries now. The cable itself isn't as bad as I feared from reading what others said. Sure it's a little stiff, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than a normal mouse cord, I could use it while charging the mouse if I had to.

Soooo, which do I like best? I can't clearly say, I think it'll take some more using to see if I get used to the side buttons on the G700. I of course haven't had this long enough to compare battery life yet, so that remains to be seen if that's a negative. But considering some of the build issues I've had with the Mamba, plus the more options the G700 has, AND it's cheaper than the Mamba, I'd say the G700 is better.

My G700 will repeatedly start lagging randomly for 1/4 of a second . Not sure whats causing it. I have a softpad/cloth? razer mousepad and just bought a ratpadz. Both still randomly get the lag.

Haven't really had time to isolate the issue or test it on another computer. I also bought a G930 which also has some intermittent static issues so maybe my new computer is just bonkers.

Mamba on the white Razer Pro|Pad. Otherwise completely skip the Mamba and get one of the other two.

Great thread.

What do you guys do about your keyboards? I had a logitech illuminated and hated it. Then I tried some of the gaming keyboards and realized I didn't even need the extra macros and any keyboard would do fine. After trying about four others I realized that I just LOVE the feel of the logitech wave models for typing and gaming.

I'm currently using a wired G9 and it's a great mouse, but the shape on the G700 looks better suited to every day and gaming use. Plus -- now that the keyboard is wireless I wouldn't mind a nice wireless mouse. I have medium sized hands... I always thought the G5/G7 models were just a little too big.

I'm using the Wave + MX1100 combo now and the MX1100 isn't bad, but it's not great for gaming. I am considering selling the Wave Pro Set and buying the Wave w/unifying and G700 with unifying.

Any additional opinions now that you have had the G700s longer?

so what do you think about the grip for the ring and pinky finger? I tried out the mx performance and it felt awkward, like they kept cramping up for me because it forces me to keep them straight while the other fingers get to curve. What's the grip like on the G700 compared to mx performance?

Well, with Logitech pushing the MX performance and G700 out the door for $65; I couldn't pass it up and picked up the G700. I have large hands and ill let you guys know how it works for me.

Back