G700 Coating

MrMike

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone know if the G700 has the same textured coating as the Performance Mouse MX that wears off after a while?

I was considering giving it a try since I have some Best Buy gift cards, but if it's the same then I'll just stick with the G400.

Thanks!

I've been using a G700 for a little over a year now, and I can assure you that it's as good as the day that I received it. There is a texture to the thumb and pinky rests, but I don't think it's going to come off.

The coating is more like textured plastic, I tried to scrape it off with a knife on a part I don't touch and it won't come off.

I just received my g700. Oh.my.god. can't believe I didn't buy this mouse sooner! Though the cyber snipa mouse was Damn comfortable.

I spend more time on the computer than most people. I've worn smooth spots in the buttons but the textured part of the G700 looks like it did when I bought it.

Am I just using the G700 wrong or what? All 3 of mine have coating flaking "issues" and I've pretty much established that it is a part of the wear and tear process. Underneath the coating is a glossy texture that is the same on the shiny area found near the usb port.

upload photo

Am I just using the G700 wrong or what? All 3 of mine have coating flaking "issues" and I've pretty much established that it is a part of the wear and tear process. Underneath the coating is a glossy texture that is the same on the shiny area found near the usb port. SNIP...

Weird, I currently own two G700's right now (I charge one while I use one, I hate cords...lol) and neither have done that. Not even the one I had for a long time that I had to RMA for other reasons. Actually, that's the first time I even saw this kind of mouse wearing off there and I've owned three of these mice in total (and reading reviews/opinions). You're special...lol

[I didn't show the sides because they're just not flaking, at all!]

Weird, I currently own two G700's right now (I charge one while I use one, I hate cords...lol) and neither have done that. Not even the one I had for a long time that I had to RMA for other reasons. Actually, that's the first time I even saw this kind of mouse wearing off there and I've owned three of these mice in total (and reading reviews/opinions). You're special...lol

[I didn't show the sides because they're just not flaking, at all!]

apple-iphone-4-you-are-holding-it-wrong.jpg

Seriously though, I've RMA'ed my first one that started flaking 2~3 months in and got a new one back. The new one ALSO started flaking but I already gave up at that point. It wasn't worth taking pictures, waiting a day for one response, then driving off to UPS to ship the thing off just for something cosmetic.

Don't get me wrong, I love my G700s to death. I think it is ALMOST the perfect mouse. I love it so much that I bought two more for my laptop and my HTPC. But they all started flaking...first on the scroll wheel, then the thumb rest area. I've since moved on to the G600 for my main computer and it is seriously growing on me - since nothing on the mouse can flake and it is more or less the same as the G700 in terms of features.

Edit:

Heres one more image of another one of my G700s flaking:
As you can see the flaking is in a totally different area from the mouse above, but still around the thumb rest.

Last edited:
I have and love this mouse too. I can slowly scratch off the surface with my nails by accident as I use it. If that matters.

I too have the g700 and I like the coating, great to hear it won't wear off.

Back