G54HP errors with my 10 key WEP64 and says should be 5

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
Can nothing every just work :(

Anyway. I'm setting up the wireless ethernet converter Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP. Setup is explained well and almost there but now this.

Logged into the configuration software through the web, I search for my network, I select my network. Then I need to enter my key for WEP64. I enter in the 10 numbers, hit apply, and I get this:

Error: AirStation detected an error with an input value.
Item: Wireless -- Character input for encryption key (WEP)
Detail: 1 section : The length should be 5(64bit encryption)/13(128bit encryption) characters.

Does this device only use characters and not digits for WEP keys? As my D-link router only says to use 5 for ASCII text characters, but 10 for hex digits. I have it set with the 10 digits. The input on this g54 for the key said nothing about it needing to be ASCII except for maybe the blurb above that says characters, no option for HEX. You'd think they'd mention that somewhere in the setup guide or in the config.

I guess I'll reset the key to ASCII with 5 text characters and see if it finally works.

Well, first another problem had to come up, wouldn't you know.

While it worked in Firefox to create a 10 digit key for my D-link, but nope, change it to ascii, then trying to type characters doesn't work. Luckily switching to IE it finally worked. Then I went back to the G54HP to give it the new "5" character key, and it worked.

I was worried because I searched about this problem, using 10 digits reports needing 5 only, where another guy said he called Buffalo twice, two 40+ minute waits, with no answer on how to get around this. Didn't they atleast know to tell the guy to reset his main router with a 5 text character ASCII WEP64 to work with their device?

Though, they forgot another thing to mention. The G54 was currently connected to the main router with ethernet as it's setup, and I was accessing it from a PC on the network. The manual said to click the back button to view the final settings after entering the WEP key, it didn't work. It sat there for ever, with the ehternet port on the G54HP blinking crazy. Then I couldn't log into it anymore. So I thought, maybe it was conflicting being accessed by a computer on the main network through both the ethernet port and wireless at the same time. So I removed cable so the G54HP was only wireless now, and suddenly I was able to access it again.

Now here hopes hooking up a 360, PS2, and TIVO work. With my luck, those devices probably will only let you enter a HEX Digit code, lol.EDIT: Scratch that, I forgot, for the devices, it's just like connecting a wired ethernet cable, no need to setup anything. And instantly my 360 logged into Live.

Back