G51 Subwoofer issue, 60Hz problem

Drakul

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
374
I have a problem with my new G51.

My subwoofer as a humming noise that basically sounds like someone blowing on a microphone. It's only on the sub and I disabled all my mic inputs so that's not the issue.

Apparently this has to do with my house power and the fact that it's 60Hz or something of the sort.
I have a special monster multi plug that's supposed to sort of regulate that kind of stuff no?

does anyone have/had the same problem?
what can i do about it?
 
I don't think it is related to ground loop but i'll check it out.

the crakling isn't constant. It only happens when I play a video or music and the bass is actually being used.
Also in the Vista device manager where I can test each speaker, it does it as well but just when i click the button.
 
You didn't mention crackling... that is probably a bad amp or a bad connection, or a blown woofer.
 
sorry. It's hard to describe really. it's actually kind of a rattle........
I tend to lean towards the bad sub option.

how could I test to see if it's faulty before sending it?

I took a video with my camera so that you get an idea of the noise I'm talking about.
this is when i test the sub in device manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6Y4uoFezE
 
Yeah, that definitely sounds like a bad driver. Could be tinsel slap or a misaligned cone (as noted in the youtube comments), but either way, if you have a warranty on it, let the manufacturer pay for it. If it's out of warranty, time to probably look for a new driver. Alternatively you can try to isolate components, play it from a different source, different interconnect, different amp, etc.
 
OMG!!
you guys want to laugh?

so i calle dthe Logitech CS and they determined that my subwoofer was blown so they sent me a whole new set for free. gotta love logitech.

so i plug the new sub in and i get the same issue. so i was like WTF???
and you know what i realized???
it was the plastic sticker that was on the sub a forgot to take off that made the noise..............

i feel so lame but it's always the stupidest thing that stomp me.
 
Did you tried to plug your G51 into an ipod or some other audio source ?

Is you "Monster multi-plug" an actual power-conditioner, or just a power-strip with over-voltage protection ? (give us the model #)
 
Back
Top