G45 for HTPC...but when?

fwkitziger

n00b
I've been holding off on a HTPC, hoping to build a G45 system with a little more processing power than 780G systems. The INQ has been "reporting" on issues related to video with this chipset for some time now, and Gary Key writes in his blog here http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=427 about G45 "growing pains". With the official launch of the P45 only a month away, the pressure must be on the Intel graphics folks to get with it.

I would not wait. Even after all this time, there are only three G35 boards (one Asus and two Intel). It will be a long time before G45 boards become available.

Internet rumors say June but thats all we have at this time.Rumors.

Im waiting on this or the new nvidia intel chipset to build a file server/htpc. Ive been reading June as well but nothing official. Ive built a 780g+4850e system to play with for the time being. Good stuff.

Considering how well the G33 and G35 worked with HD content (terribly that is) I wouldn't wait for a G45 based board simply for the reason to use it as an HTPC.

As far as I can tell the only thing that stands a chance compared to a 780G for an HTPC is possibly NV's 8200 and 8300 series boards but right now there are driver related issue that don't make them very tempting purchases.

Also, if you want to go Intel with your HTPC then you're going to have to get a video card; nothing I've read on the G45 has changed that "truism" when it comes to HTPC building.

Well, if the G45 is hopelessly broken and for hardware acceleration I'd need a video card, then both Gigabyte and Asus make decent G33 boards...no reason to spring for the G35. However, if Intel's G45 problems are video driver related, eventually they should have something that works...definitely maybe. For Intel's sake, I hope Larrabee is going smoother than their integrated graphics efforts. I like the cpu headroom that Intel platforms offer, otherwise I'd already have a 780G HTPC.

Intel has a long long logn history of not delivering hte video drivers or hardware its promised. It promised hardware T&L on quite a few of the i9xx's and to this day support varies between non existant to inadequate depending on what 9xx or GMA you have. The specs to this day say 667mhz support for many of these chips but have never gotten clocked above 400.

Considering how well the G33 and G35 worked with HD content (terribly that is) I wouldn't wait for a G45 based board simply for the reason to use it as an HTPC.

Curious what your basis is when you say G35 works terriblyl with HD content? My G35 board works absolutely fantastic enabling a very cheap (and fast) solution for Blu Ray HTPC playback....

Intel's Core 2 is the win.
Intel's performance chipsets are the win.
Intel's portable chipsets are the win.

Intels integrated graphics is the worst thing to happen to computer graphics ever. Microsoft lowered the standard of their "Vista compatable" cert just so Intel could squeeze in with their crap ass GXMA 3000. G35 was terrible and G45 looks to be no improvement. Go with 7150 or 690G or 780GX if you can, they are all far superior.

Go with 7150.... they are all far superior.
I wouldn't suggest that. NV's 7150 (Intel) is barely able to do MPEG2 playback as well as the old 6150 due to it's single channel memory configuration, the IGP is just choked for data because of it. So, video plays but not at the best quality (no post processing or anything).

Intel's Core 2 is the win.
Intel's performance chipsets are the win.
Intel's portable chipsets are the win.

Intels integrated graphics is the worst thing to happen to computer graphics ever. Microsoft lowered the standard of their "Vista compatable" cert just so Intel could squeeze in with their crap ass GXMA 3000. G35 was terrible and G45 looks to be no improvement. Go with 7150 or 690G or 780GX if you can, they are all far superior.

Care to elaborate as it pertains to its target market: mainstream video users? I've had 6150, 7150, as well as 690g and all were not able to play full 1080p HD stream while maintaining low CPU utilization. G35, while not the greatest, actually gets this done. Yes, it sucks big time in games and I would take a 780G in a heartbeat, however that's not available on the Wintel platform is it?

Back