G4 TV.com Battlefield 2142 Spyware Video

lewchenko said:
wow! this thread went really off topic. Thanks everyone who spoiled it by ranting about 'EA SUXORS' or 'THIS GUY IS A NOOB'...

maybe there should be an area where all the EA haters can go hang out and post about how you shouldnt buy EA games, and an area where people can go and comment about the games they have bought.

This forum board is just so full of people ranting. If you dont want to buy it then dont - simple as that.

I hate spyware, EA's track record of bad bug fixing and exploitation too, but I still bought 2142 and have been having a blast with it. Its not a perfect world, and 2142 isnt perfect either, but its damn good fun, and for those of you would have too much 'pride or whatever' to buy an EA game.. go play something else by some other vendor.

And all those people who moan about it being a MOD.... Well its a pretty decent mod, and people (lots of them too) are having a really good time playing it. So what if its a mod - if you dont think its worth $50 or whatever, then dont pay. But dont complain just because its a mod, as there have been many games released as a mod. (Red Orchestra for example).

So many moaners who havent even played it !

Unfortunatly its the millions of people like you who keep buying thier obvious crap that is never going to make them change their ways and actually make and support good games for a change. and long as millions of people will pay 50 bucks for a mod, heck, why make a whole new and better game, just make a mod and get paid twice for the same game, well the rest of the people who actually like to play good and different games arent given the opportunity to do so, because of people like you who support EAs crappy atitude to making games. If everyone stops buying thier crap, they will be forced to make good games, and support them, instead of selling people the same game twice, and not supporting either version of it worth crap. thanks buddy. we owe it all to you for having to put up with the crap from EA. Just imagine the future of games, if you could, how nice it would be not to have to play EA's current selection of crap.

SultanGris said:
Unfortunatly its the millions of people like you who keep buying thier obvious crap that is never going to make them change their ways and actually make and support good games for a change. and long as millions of people will pay 50 bucks for a mod, heck, why make a whole new and better game, just make a mod and get paid twice for the same game, well the rest of the people who actually like to play good and different games arent given the opportunity to do so, because of people like you who support EAs crappy atitude to making games. If everyone stops buying thier crap, they will be forced to make good games, and support them, instead of selling people the same game twice, and not supporting either version of it worth crap. thanks buddy. we owe it all to you for having to put up with the crap from EA. Just imagine the future of games, if you could, how nice it would be not to have to play EA's current selection of crap.

...what? If you don't like the game then just buy and play other games. You put it as if EA is the only publisher out there. How exactly are you "putting up with crap from EA"?
You need to stop taking the same arguments and regurgitating them in this tired zealous matter. Look at what you said..."how nice it would be not to have to play EA's current selection of crap." Surprise! You can do that now!
There are tons of other publishers who you can buy games from and support them instead. If people think battlefield 2142 is fun enough to buy, and enjoy playing it, then I don't really see the problem. If they make a game that is TRULY crap, then it won't recieve as much support from sales. And the "50$" for the mod argument...I don't see people bashing Blizzard for releasing booster packs for every game.

Valcrist77 said:
...what? If you don't like the game then just buy and play other games. You put it as if EA is the only publisher out there. How exactly are you "putting up with crap from EA"?
You need to stop taking the same arguments and regurgitating them in this tired zealous matter. Look at what you said..."how nice it would be not to have to play EA's current selection of crap." Surprise! You can do that now!
There are tons of other publishers who you can buy games from and support them instead. If people think battlefield 2142 is fun enough to buy, and enjoy playing it, then I don't really see the problem. If they make a game that is TRULY crap, then it won't recieve as much support from sales. And the "50$" for the mod argument...I don't see people bashing Blizzard for releasing booster packs for every game.

I don't think you realise the scope of this problem...

Gaming is still very much a young entertainment medium and is really still in the process of maturing, we as the current generation of gamers get the imense responsability to help craft what we want from future generations of games to come.

EA is a massive money grabbing organisation that puts profit in front of making great games, and this is something that I believe we should all discourage, even if that means boycotting games we might have otherwise have wanted to buy and play.

If we prove to EA now that we won't tollerate lousy support, bugged and rushed games and cheap re-skins of games then they'll be forced to step up and change their ways, if we lay back and accept it and say "oh well, ads in games, I don't like it one bit, but I'm going to play anyhow" you're basically giving the OK to EA to say ok lets put heavy advertising in all of our games from now on, because people are idiots and buy into this sort of rubbish.

I can't wait until ET:QW arrives, that alone will smash 2142. Let the dimwits have their mod...

Frosteh said:
Gaming is still very much a young entertainment medium and is really still in the process of maturing, we as the current generation of gamers get the imense responsability to help craft what we want from future generations of games to come.

LOL I bet that I was already gaming when you were in your diapers. Kids like you today are just too damn spoiled. No appreciation of how gaming has evolved.

Frosteh said:
A is a massive money grabbing organisation that puts profit in front of making great games, and this is something that I believe we should all discourage, even if that means boycotting games we might have otherwise have wanted to buy and play.

The market will be the judge of that. If they continue to pump out games that consumers liket, people will buy it and they continue to stay in business. If not, other companies will have their lunch. Its that simple.

GlimmerMan said:
LOL I bet that I was already gaming when you were in your diapers. Kids like you today are just too damn spoiled. No appreciation of how gaming has evolved.

Kids?

Thats an assumption, I'm not even going to dignify this comment with any further response.

The market will be the judge of that. If they continue to pump out games that consumers liket, people will buy it and they continue to stay in business. If not, other companies will have their lunch. Its that simple.

It's not about what consumers like, it's about what consumer purchas, these are quite often 2 very different things.

And no it's not that simple, EA have the funds to more or less buy out any development team they wish, it's not just "that simple" theats of newer technology and newer games which look to be promising are quite often bought out and discarded.

I'm lucky enough to have had the opportunity to work with the Reality Engine previous to Epic buying it out and removing all future support for it, the engine is fantastic and posed a big threat to the unreal 3 engine which is obviously why they bought out the studio. We won't see nearly as many games based on the Reality engine than we might have.

Business and politics are very much a part of this problem, you have an over simplistic view of the situation I fear.

DasFox said:

HELLO it's not about the spyware, it's about the EXPLOITATION OF YOUTH AROUND THE WORLD FOR PROFIT!

You are referring to EA right? Not Phillip Morris or Nike.
These "hate EA" threads gets funnier by the day.

Frosteh said:
I don't think you realise the scope of this problem...

EA is a massive money grabbing organisation that puts profit in front of making great games, and this is something that I believe we should all discourage, even if that means boycotting games we might have otherwise have wanted to buy and play.

If we prove to EA now that we won't tollerate lousy support, bugged and rushed games and cheap re-skins of games then they'll be forced to step up and change their ways, if we lay back and accept it and say "oh well, ads in games, I don't like it one bit, but I'm going to play anyhow" you're basically giving the OK to EA to say ok lets put heavy advertising in all of our games from now on, because people are idiots and buy into this sort of rubbish.

Well put. Just look at what EA did to the command and conquer series, which were some of my favorite RTS games of all time. When they abolished westwood studios and made the latest, CnC Generals, it was nowhere near the quality of game it should be. they didnt support it, and rushed it out just to make more money. Not to mention that the game in the first place was supposed to include EAs "expansion pack" Zero hour, but of course they had to split the game in half, just to get more money from people. I was also part of thier multiplayer test for Generals, and i still laugh about thier first patch, which made the game completely unplayable. I cant wait to see how bad they fork up the next game in the CnC series set to come out.

I have to agree....BIG TIME
this game is a joke and you pay full price for it and get spyware and ads.
All this on a half ass skin mod

WHAT A BUNCH OF BS

and now they are actually stating that it is outselling bf2 and has more players
they can't breath for all the lies they are telling

Back