• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

G-Sync vs. 5.1 Headset and SSD

  • Thread starter Deleted member 273615
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 273615

Guest
I know I made a G-Sync thread before, but this one is somewhat different as I am not asking for any colorimeter measurements. I would love to see how G-Sync mode and ULBM compars to the old standard and LightBoost mode (photo comparison!) or how either of the modes compares to an good IPS monitor (photos of VG248QE G=Sync'ed next to IPS display with both of them showing some colorful pictures, especially some with purple and pink colors!).

I can't stand my VG248QE colors at the moment and it does keep me from playing MP games and I would also love to play SP games, but I use my TV for that. I wonder whether it would be worth it to sell my Astro A50 Dolby Digital 5.1 Wireless headset and/or my Crucial M4 128Gb SSD to buy a G-Sync kit. I don't use my M4 SSD much... its just hanging in there, but I won't be able to sell it for $200 to buy G-Sync (I am completely broke). I so use my headset and its awesome, but I am more into video than into audio...

My current system specs are:
ASUS Z77 Sabertooth motherboard
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.5Ghz
8Gb DDR3 2200Mhz @ 1T CL10
ASUS GTX 770 2Gb video card @ 1300Mhz/7000Mhz
ASUS VG248QE TN LCD monitor, Samsung LN40B550 40" SPVA CCFL LCD HDTV (0.04 cd/m^2 MLL, 3000:1 contrast ratio)
256Gb Samsung 830 SSD, 128Gb Crucial M4 SSD, 750Gb 7200rpm HDD
Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe Dolby Digital Live 5.1 sound card
Astro A50 Dolby Digital 5.1 Wireless Gaming/Home Theater headset
Windows 8.1 Pro + Escrow 2014 update
 
My personal opinion is that Gsync is a non-feature. It does nothing that I care about.

Up to you though.

No TN monitor is going to match IPS colours regardless of GSync, Lightboost, ULBM or whatever feature it has.
 
My personal opinion is that Gsync is a non-feature. It does nothing that I care about.

Up to you though.

No TN monitor is going to match IPS colours regardless of GSync, Lightboost, ULBM or whatever feature it has.

Exactly.
 
Sadly I'm afraid this is true and I went ahead and "settled" for a 120Hz VA. I'll be paying for it for the next year so don't get me wrong, technically I was already broke, too.
 
The ssd will be more useful in day to day use than g sync. G-sync just eliminates screen tearing; ssd eliminates slow booting, disk overloading, and loading screens.

Like other people have said, gsync wont improve your colors either.

I would just wait and save some money up.
 
If you are more concerned with PQ then you really should go for something other than a TN panel. Even the best TN panel incoming with the right features (G-Sync , 120hz and 1440p resolution) is still going to be a TN panel with TN panel issues.

There is no guarantee that doing the G-sync upgrade will yield the color upgrade you were expecting. I can say that ULBM is far superior in its implementation compared to the standard Lightboost 2.0 mode and the hack required to enable it. But its also important to note while ULBM has superior PQ it has worse motion quality , not by much mind you but this is all about nitpicking features.

If I were you I would wait. There are lots of transitional technologies coming to monitors over the next 2 years. You'll have the benefit of selection and at better prices if you exercise some patience. I love G-sync personally , I see its benefits without question. Its such a great feature especially for games with poorly optimized engines (BF4 , Metro Last Light etc) and I hate vertical tearing. Not everyone is bothered by it , which is fine but once you use G-sync you will have a hard time going back to not using it.

Grab your headphones and an SSD. Also 5.1 headphones are a gimmick , get a nice pair of standard stereo cans and they can produce a natural surround sound that is superior to dinky crap speakers that can't do it well at all.
 
Wow, so GSync is out of stock everywhere and nobody likes it?

I do not expect a TN to be turned into IPS. I just want a neutral grayscale instead of that crimson red with blue that results even after a good calibration with a spectrometer. Not having a neutral gray scale is a complete killer - can't use the monitor that way... I already have a great and well calibrated SPVA screen for quality, so now I want a fast TN screen for speed, but NOT if its got purple instead of gray. At the same time nobody has yet demonstrated any pictures of the grayscale accuracy or how it compares to IPS panel or to regular VG248QE. A photo of this pattern - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php zoomed in to see the whole thing clearly would be SO helpful!

Besides, I really do want G-Sync feature for that awesome fluidity. I am just perplexed that so many people got it and nobody really says anything positive.

Another issue is that I can't find a place to buy a G-Sync kit.
 
Yeah, it's out of stock everywhere. Generally when people are tight-lipped about something like this it means they are busy using it. So that might be a good sign. If gsync ULBM is a less-destructive form of Lightboost... then a gsynced 248QE will look like a regular 248QE without lightboost on. If your display has a purple tint all the time then Gsync kit wont fix that.
 
Keep your SSD & headphones and start saving up for the 27" 1440p 120hz ROG swift, you got another month or two to save, then you can sell your vg248qe to recoup some of the costs.
 
Wow, so GSync is out of stock everywhere and nobody likes it?

I do not expect a TN to be turned into IPS. I just want a neutral grayscale instead of that crimson red with blue that results even after a good calibration with a spectrometer. Not having a neutral gray scale is a complete killer - can't use the monitor that way... I already have a great and well calibrated SPVA screen for quality, so now I want a fast TN screen for speed, but NOT if its got purple instead of gray. At the same time nobody has yet demonstrated any pictures of the grayscale accuracy or how it compares to IPS panel or to regular VG248QE. A photo of this pattern - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php zoomed in to see the whole thing clearly would be SO helpful!

Besides, I really do want G-Sync feature for that awesome fluidity. I am just perplexed that so many people got it and nobody really says anything positive.

Another issue is that I can't find a place to buy a G-Sync kit.

I've been glowing about G-sync since I got it :)
 
Back
Top