• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

G-sync question for Acer x34 owners.

Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
593
So I just got my x34 up and running, very happy with it. However, I was wondering about g-sync enabling on the x34. When researching the x34, I remember watching a youtube review video, the person in the video said if you have g-sync enabled the LED light on the x34 would turn red when gaming or benchmarking, indicating g-sync is running . So I enabled g-sync in Nvidia control panel, and have turned off v-sync in games, however my LED just stays green when gaming. Is there a step I am missing to enable g-sync on the x34? I have never used g-sync, so I don’t really know what to look for in regards to game fluidity.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
 
Not sure if that is a new feature or something but my X34's LED doesn't change colors and my LED is blue not green. I bought mine in Nov 2015 though. To make sure it is working hop in a game and check if there is any tearing or stutter. You shouldn't get either if it is enabled. If you do get stutter or tearing, go to Nvidia control panel and disable G-sync then Enable G-sync and test again.
 
Enable Vsync in game, even though you have gsync enabled in the Nvidia control panel.

Also cap your FPS @99 with afterburner
 
Enable Vsync in game, even though you have gsync enabled in the Nvidia control panel.

Also cap your FPS @99 with afterburner

no. You should always have vsync turned off. both in game and in nvidia CP.

you should only use gsync and cap your fps for the lowest input lag.
 
no. You should always have vsync turned off. both in game and in nvidia CP.
you should only use gsync and cap your fps for the lowest input lag.
No, you only need G-Sync enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel and V-Sync disabled in-game.

Whether you have V-Sync enabled or not in the NVIDIA Control Panel determines what happens when the framerate is outside of the G-Sync range - whether that is above or below the range of your monitor.

And if you need to implement a framerate limiter to prevent a game's framerate from exceeding the maximum refresh rate, be sure to use an in-game limiter where possible or RTSS for this as those are the lowest latency options.
If there is no possibility of hitting the upper range of G-Sync in a game, you should not enable a framerate limiter to keep latency to a minimum - an external tool like RTSS will add a frame of latency.

I would prefer to have V-Sync on in the NVIDIA Control Panel to prevent tearing if the framerate drops below the lowest refresh rate of the monitor. If you use a framerate limiter, you don't have to be concerned about V-Sync being enabled at high framerates.
 
I'm not an owner but I am waiting on the price to drop so that I will be, but something her is not entirely clear to me.

When it comes to any video card there is a fundamental difference between how they handle frame generation in regards to V-Sync. Disregarding G-Sync, V-Sync enforces complete frame creation in the frame buffer and while it is doing this, one of the first steps is to dump all data in the frame before beginning to write new data to it. If you have frame buffering enabled it will even render multiple frames in advance in order to keep up. Of course it's when it can't keep up that you get the same frame repeated until the next buffered frame is ready.

With V-Sync off, the buffer isn't dumped and instead the new data is written over the old so that it is able to send what it has when it's time to send a new frame to the monitor, partial frames, it's where that tearing comes from.

Now G-Sync is supposed to only send fully written frames just like with V-Sync Enabled but instead of letting the monitor's refresh rate set the rate of demand the video card is initiating the monitors refresh action when the completed frames are ready.

Now from this video I grabbed the following steps;

1st set the monitor up enabling Overclocking and setting the max refresh rate with a reboot of the monitor.
2nd Enable g-Sync in the NVidia Control Panel.

And then, although this video doesn't address it, you may have related setting in your applications or games that could impact G-Sync. I would think some games might over ride the driver settings so V-Sync OFF in a game could mess with things, but once you have the monitor right and the NVidia driver settings are right, checking your games is an easy thing. Just don't go swapping the monitor and NVidia driver settings around because if something is off it's probably because of the game itself.
 
X34 owner since the first batch was released in the USA.

Im surprised at the inaccuracy in this thread.

The FIRST thing you have to do OP (to get what you want) is:

ENABLE THIS FEATURE IN THE MONITORS OSD.

The color switching LED does NOT come enabled by default in the X34's settings. You have to enable this setting by navigating the on screen display until you get to it.

Then, once you do, the LED will stay red pretty much ALL the time as G-sync is active pretty much right after windows boots up. The LED will be white as you are booting up windows but then goes red and stays red.
 
X34 owner since the first batch was released in the USA.

Im surprised at the inaccuracy in this thread.

The FIRST thing you have to do OP (to get what you want) is:

ENABLE THIS FEATURE IN THE MONITORS OSD.

The color switching LED does NOT come enabled by default in the X34's settings. You have to enable this setting by navigating the on screen display until you get to it.

Then, once you do, the LED will stay red pretty much ALL the time as G-sync is active pretty much right after windows boots up. The LED will be white as you are booting up windows but then goes red and stays red.


Shit, I missed it, Skypine27 is exactly correct, G-Sync is not enabled by default in the monitor's OSD settings and it's right there on the same settings page as the max refresh rate setting, dead center top of the page. I saw that in the video, I knew it, and when I was typing up my post I stupidly forgot to include it.
 
Enable Vsync in game, even though you have gsync enabled in the Nvidia control panel.

Also cap your FPS @99 with afterburner
No. Disable V-Sync in-game and in the NVCP. Use FastSync in the NVCP with G-Sync enabled, instead. And don't forgot to select the option for windowed if playing games in borderless fullscreen (required for UWP games on the Windows Store).
 
No. Disable V-Sync in-game and in the NVCP. Use FastSync in the NVCP with G-Sync enabled, instead. And don't forgot to select the option for windowed if playing games in borderless fullscreen (required for UWP games on the Windows Store).
Fast Sync acts as V-Sync with the maximum pre-rendered frames set to 1 until your framerate is at least 2x your refresh rate - though it is prone to stuttering in the range between 1x and 2x the refresh rate.
If you're already going to be using a framerate limiter, there is no need for it.
You can't "disable v-sync and enable fast-sync" in the control panel, fast-sync is just another mode of operation for v-sync.
 
ENABLE THIS FEATURE IN THE MONITORS OSD.

The color switching LED does NOT come enabled by default in the X34's settings. You have to enable this setting by navigating the on screen display until you get to it.

Then, once you do, the LED will stay red pretty much ALL the time as G-sync is active pretty much right after windows boots up. The LED will be white as you are booting up windows but then goes red and stays red.

I just took a look in my display settings and don't have this feature. My display is from before the recall is that when you got yours? Not that I need the LED change, just curious since I never saw the settings and use the menu pretty frequently.
 
I just took a look in my display settings and don't have this feature. My display is from before the recall is that when you got yours? Not that I need the LED change, just curious since I never saw the settings and use the menu pretty frequently.

Sorry for the slow reply.

I bought mine from newegg the first day they had them in stock.

OSD:

Under settings, navigate down to the "wrench" symbol.
Then go to Ambient Light and change LED Color to: MNT Status.

Then the light will be white when G-sync is off, and Red when its on.
 
Turn on the FPS counter in the LCD OSD. It will display your current refresh rate on screen. If the number stays locked at 100 then gsync is not active. If it fluctuates then it's active.
 
Damn, my XB271HU doesn't have the G-Sync power light capability :/.

Not a big loss of course, but that FPS display is *garish*.
 
Back
Top