G-Sync mitigating microstutter?

blade52x

2[H]4U
I'm the type that really noticed microstutter, even on my Titans with Nvidia's hardware frame metering. But, with G-Sync enabled, microstutter seems to have disappeared. When frame deliveries are inconsistent, I wonder if it's made that much worse because the frames almost always get delivered in between the monitor's refresh, making the perceived frame deviate that much further from the mean.

Before I got the Swift, a heavily modded Skyrim running 1440p would often dip below 60fps on my Titans. And the moment it did, I would feel the dreaded stuttering. Granted, this game had it the worst. But the difference between 55fps and 60fps (adaptive V-Sync enabled) was very noticeable running on my 60Hz IPS. Now with the Swift, even dips down to 25fps (yes, I've gone so overkill on my mods that I can drop that low) don't seem to have this stutter. While the frame rate may not feel great, it at least feels consistent.

I'm very happy overall as I wasn't expecting it to make even SLI feel better due to microstutter. But it makes sense - if the monitor is refreshing every single delivered frame, you're now left with the hardware frame metering itself is capable of doing without the additional frame delays (as well as tearing) caused by the monitor itself. Seems to me like G-Sync is allowing SLI to reach its full potential. Anyone else with this experience?

Last edited:
That's what it's supposed to do. Good to hear that it works. I'm still waiting for my GTX 970's.

No Offense but until I see a Frame pacing line chart or microstuttering measurement reflecting that it's helping I'm going to remain on the fence with this. Sometimes there is a Bolis affect where people just think it's helping and other times people want to justify their purchases. Again no offense to anyone but I'm going to sit by and wait for some reviews to back up what's being said about this technology. If it does improve experience this dramatically I may go that route with a single Large display and get rid of my 3 120hz monitors.

Might be because it is a TN panel that are in general much faster than IPS. As nice as IPS monitors look, as soon as you move the mouse across the screen they start to hurt my eyes. That is with Nvidia or AMD hardware.

Good to hear that GSYNC is impressing you. I hope FreeSync is impressive also.

This is something that I'm dying to know. I would test this but can't find a gsync monitor right now!

I'm sure FS will be equally as impressive. Variable refresh rate screens are amazing, and they definitely give you a feel as if you've just upgraded some hardware like a GPU or CPU as everything just feels smoother.

As far as the tests go, I wonder how they would conduct these. Because in fixed refresh mode, what the GPU delivers is not necessarily what the screen displays. And then what is displayed will depend on your refresh rate (ie 120Hz will suffer additional refresh delay much less than 60Hz monitors). And then you have the torn frames - and how exactly do we perceive those? Do we perceive them as quick, slow, or maybe even a microstutter? Again, the 120Hz+ will suffer much less. It's going to be quite an interesting read once we get to the bottom of all of this.

This moniter is the best investment I have ever made, I Crysis 3 is actually buttery smooth. The Jitters/jerks are pretty much gone for me on every game with the exception of Farcry 3. Which is weird that I get over 80fps and it still feels likes shit no matter what setting I use.

This moniter is the best investment I have ever made, I Crysis 3 is actually buttery smooth. The Jitters/jerks are pretty much gone for me on every game with the exception of Farcry 3. Which is weird that I get over 80fps and it still feels likes shit no matter what setting I use.

Are you using single card or multi-gpu?

Have you ever tried playing Far Cry 3 with just one gpu. I wonder if that would get rid of the choppiness that you see?

I did and it didn't run great, but I haven't tried 1 Gpu with my new moniter. I'll try it out later and report back!

Yeah, I'm just wondering if what you're experiencing is microstuttering, seeing as how your frame rates are high but yet, gameplay is choppy/jittery mess.

Yeah, I'm just wondering if what you're experiencing is microstuttering, seeing as how your frame rates are high but yet, gameplay is choppy/jittery mess.

This game for me runs like crap on 1 card as well, oh well. I have tested probably 20 games and this one rankings crap before I bought this moniter and still does.

This game for me runs like crap on 1 card as well, oh well. I have tested probably 20 games and this one rankings crap before I bought this moniter and still does.

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the follow up, though! :)

By some miracle (because it's inevitable that if there's any potential stutter in a game I always get it) I've never experienced the infamous stutter issues in Far Cry 3. I play it at 60Hz on a standard monitor with V-Sync and it's very smooth, except for the rare areas where CPU bottlenecks push the framerate below 60 (extremely rare now with the 4790K). I have the game's 'GPU Max Buffered Frames' at 1 ('Use Application Setting' in NVIDIA CP), DX11. GPU is 780 Ti.

Hmm, interesting how you're not seeing it and Marcdaddy is.

My other issue is that whenever I finish a MultiPlayer game the game crashes and I have to reload, everytime! I've hated this game since launch and will never buy a Farcry game again hehe.

Don't you hate this kind of issue?

There could be other possible sources of the stutter, like the game not playing nice with certain input devices. Far Cry 3 is a half baked console port, and it's no secret that they didn't put much effort into giving it decent mouse input, eg. it has negative acceleration jammed on by default and the user has to jump through hoops to disable it. Now I'm not saying negative acceleration causes stutter, but if they botched that aspect of mouse input they may well have botched others. Some game engines just don't tolerate certain mouse settings. For the record, I'm using a first gen deathadder at 1000Hz.

As an example, I experienced terrible stutter panning the view in BFBC2 and always thought it was something to do with the GPU config, but eventually I noticed that if I got on a quad bike and drove in tight circles to simulate a fast pan without moving the mouse it was 100% smooth. Clearly the problem was with the way the game processed mouse input. Not really surprising, given that BFBC2 is yet another console port.

Yup, this kind of stuff drives me CRAZY! This is one of the things I dislike about pc gaming but I put up with it because I crave performance and high fidelity graphics - lol. I've spent countless hours troubleshooting stuttering issues in games and even upgraded my damn OS in the hopes it would fix the stuttering that I see in some games! Oh well - I think the term, c'est la vie, is very appropriate when it comes to pc gaming. ;)

Don't you hate this kind of issue?

There could be other possible sources of the stutter, like the game not playing nice with certain input devices. Far Cry 3 is a half baked console port, and it's no secret that they didn't put much effort into giving it decent mouse input, eg. it has negative acceleration jammed on by default and the user has to jump through hoops to disable it. Now I'm not saying negative acceleration causes stutter, but if they botched that aspect of mouse input they may well have botched others. Some game engines just don't tolerate certain mouse settings. For the record, I'm using a first gen deathadder at 1000Hz.

As an example, I experienced terrible stutter panning the view in BFBC2 and always thought it was something to do with the GPU config, but eventually I noticed that if I got on a quad bike and drove in tight circles to simulate a fast pan without moving the mouse it was 100% smooth. Clearly the problem was with the way the game processed mouse input. Not really surprising, given that BFBC2 is yet another console port.

bud you have to see how horrible its the mouse and keyboard input in games like dead island... its literally impossible to play that game with keyboard+mouse without apply certain tricks like enable filter keys in window... just to mitigate "a bit" the stuttering and choppy gameplay..

In the other hand I've never had a single issue with Far cry 3... with single or multi GPU setup always was buttery smooth. weird i've enjoyed a lot that game without problems.. :confused:

Back