G-Sync IPS 27"?

not yet. the only thing i've heard is that "it's possible."

Hell, are there any just G-SYNC 27" displays even available?? I've been waiting so damn long for that ASUS one...

because color accuracy matters when you're playing video games

If you think developers do not follow industry standards and artists put zero effort into making the games they work on look a certain way in order to convey certain feelings and establish atmosphere, you do not deserve to play games. Color accuracy always matters.

If you think developers do not follow industry standards and artists put zero effort into making the games they work on look a certain way in order to convey certain feelings and establish atmosphere, you do not deserve to play games. Color accuracy always matters.

Nobody who plays a game competitively gives a fuck about color accuracy. Hence why people prefer the TN's with low input lag over the other panels.

no, i don't think it does. it's a video game. i'm not going to notice a color being a few shades off, mainly because i'm not actively comparing it to a properly calibrated monitor, and secondly because i'm focused on playing the game. also, i said none of that. i would say color accuracy only truly matters when it comes to things like film, and obviously when you're working with photos and physical<->digital mediums. when i watch league of legends streams on my qx2710 i often notice that it does look like it's more realistic, and has more depth, but when i actually play the game on my vg236h i stop noticing the color 10 seconds in.

Last edited:
Nobody who plays a game competitively gives a fuck about color accuracy. Hence why people prefer the TN's with low input lag over the other panels.

Ignorance is not an excuse and the official gaming monitors like the Asus VG236H MLG used to use and the Eizo Foris FS2333 have fairly accurate colors. Color accurate monitors benefit everyone:

-The player gets to see the game the way it was intended to look. Appreciative gamers care.
-The player does not have to worry about black crush/loss of detail which may prevent them from spotting enemies
-The player gets better image quality for all around use
-Manufacturers have to put time into calibrating the monitors they sell

The best gaming TN panels usually have accurate color presets, or only require a setting or 2 to be changed (BenQ 120hz+ need to be switched from the Default FPS mode which sucks to the Standard Mode and use the Gamma 2 settings).

Quality AHVA/IPS/PLS panels colors are not just accurate, they are more vibrant since they use grain free (semi-glossy) matte and glossy coatings, have larger (and more accurate) color gamuts and the colors are relatively evenly saturated due to the lack of gamma shift, unlike the newer (post 2012) gaming oriented TN panels which all use grainy matte coatings.

Last edited:
they say it's a "high quality" tn panel, so as long as it's at least as good as the vg236h then it will be a good monitor. i suppose what's going to matter the most at this point is the screen coating.

There is a reason I said "just".... I want to know if there are ANY available, TN, or whatever, I want G-SYNC.... And I can't believe it has taken this long.

I don't know how you can use your TNs monitors for anything other than FPS shooters. TN panels suck, all of them, for known reasons. If you can't afford a big NEC or Dell, then there is a150$ ACER H226HQL (as an example) which blows out of the water every IPS or PLS and it totally wipes the floor with any TN monitor, you can imagine... when it comes to image quality in games - in all kind of gaming situations actually, be it a dark RPG game or a bright FPS shooter. Unless you need some crazy 144hz with 0.5ms reaction times, but I bet YOU don't get any better even with that 144hz in your shooters games. lol

To my knowledge, no games support color management profiles, and therefore all the calibration in the world won't matter. So I think the assertion that the developers want 100% color fidelity is probably untrue.

Edit: checked in here because I've been salivating for that Asus ROG Gsync for months. Right now I'm getting by with my Dell 30" U3011, but I'd love 120Hz and especially gsync if I can get it on a big high-res display.

color management profiles can be forced in games using MCW program for example.

Who said anything about competitive gamers?
They can keep their CRTs and shitty TN panels.

That doesn't mean I can't see an appeal in Gsync.

Gsync is good, and I'm looking forward to it, but TNs should be left behind by now.
I bet that Asus will suck just like any other TN monitor does. No bells or whistles will help.

To my knowledge, no games support color management profiles, and therefore all the calibration in the world won't matter. So I think the assertion that the developers want 100% color fidelity is probably untrue.

Edit: checked in here because I've been salivating for that Asus ROG Gsync for months. Right now I'm getting by with my Dell 30" U3011, but I'd love 120Hz and especially gsync if I can get it on a big high-res display.
The ROG Facebook page puts the new release window for the PG278Q in June. I don't do Facebook, but I grabbed the info from a post on the ASUS ROG forums.

It's not an IPS.
Was responding to someone else...

But for your benefit, the panel in this model is going to be a true 8-bit film panel. Most TN panels are 6-bit and use dithering to give the appearance of true 24-bit color, the side effects of which include color shifting from different viewing angles. With an 8-bit panel the only thing that will be different in practice from this and an IPS panel would be brightness viewing angles and contrast. People who have seen the pre-production model of this monitor have said the color reproduction is amazing for a TN panel. The specifications since then have only gotten better.

As an artist and a gamer who likes to be competitive: Gaming on a shitty dithered 6-bit TN panel irks me the most. You lose an incredible amount of detail, that I feel impacts game play negatively.

Anyway, hopped into this thread cause I too am looking for a good G-Sync Monitor (why's it taking so long? Tax Season should have been priority). PVA with G-Sync would be good, IPS even better.

If the PG278Q is indeed an 8-bit TN... I'll have to see it for myself in person and hope for a 24" 1080p variation cause $800 is a bit much.

Back