G.Skill HZ overclocking

yeah, it's 2 * 512MB . . . and running slower (230mhz). but it's been running prime now for almost 7 hours.

so i don't think anyone confirmed for me. on the SPD Table in CPU-Z, for the G.Skills it should say 3-4-4-8, right? cause both of mine say 3-5-5-10.

it's very possible you just have a limit with the mobo or memory controller that prevents you from making 250mhz with 2x1gb. the odds of you getting 3 bunk sets is seriously non-existant. you'll spontaneously burst into flame before that happens.

as for the SPD, i have no idea what's up. some sticks do that.. i have some ram that's rated 3-3-3-8 at 250mhz, but the spd is 2.5-4-4-8 at 200mhz and 3-5-5-8 at 250mhz

just to clarify it again. i only got 2 bunk sets. the first set i sent back because my PSU was making my system a piece of junk, and i mistakenly blamed the memory.

anyway, maybe i won't send this back then. i thought the SPD was a sure sign of a problem. do you think i'm more likely to have these problems with an X2 chip than a normal A64? obviously the chip will only OC as fast as the slowest core will allow it to go, but i don't know if the more complex silicone would have the same effect where the memory controller is concerned.

silicone = boobies ;)

and.. it depends on if the problem is the mobo or the cpu. if the former, a new cpu isn't gonna fix it, nor is new ram. it's sadly a lot of trouble shooting, and the best way to find out is to test the sticks in a rig that's known to be able to do higher than what you're capable in your own rig... if you can't, you're crazy unlucky and this will be your third (sorry for getting confused before ;)) bunk stick, if you can, it's either the mobo or cpu.. move the cpu you're using into that rig with the same ram, if problems, it's the cpu. if not, it's the mobo

i think that at this point i'm going to take the RAM into work. there is a 3500+ system there i can test it in. if it runs at 250mhz the sticks work. i already know the mobo and CPU work at stock speeds. there's not a whole lot to complain about there.

currently, i'm running memtest with the g.skill at stock voltages and timings at 230mhz FSB. no errors. if the stuff works at it's rated speeds in the other system tomorrow i'll just keep it and underclock the RAM/OC the system to 230mhz.

PS- silicone, silicon? i must have had something else on my mind.

just to follow up. it seems i've got this thing stable at:
CPU Multi = 10
FSB = 248mhz
RAM Ratio = 1:1
HT Multi = 4
DRAM Timings: 3-3-3-8 and 1T Command Rate

just using stock voltages (RAM is set to 2.6v actually) and although the RAM is slightly underclocked the CPU is farther OCed than i thought i'd get it, and the RAM timings are a little tighter than stock. can't get the CAS latency down without messing with voltages though wich i might try.

(cf)Eclipse said:
sorry exclipse, i read and read, i know again question,,,,,i want buy 2g ram, i want oc my cpu to 2.6 or 2,7 mhz, you ever recomend this, the timings are good, i read other post and you recomend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227219

i have great confusion
i think this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227219
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146397

what is the better for you experience ???
need your help mate

:D

thx

I'm seeing this ram being rather popular here on the forums. Would i be right in saying this is one of the best places to look if i want 2gb and to take my opty to 2.7-2.8 ?

the memory you have doesn't matter when you want to oc your cpu. i can get my cpu to 3ghz while keeping my ram under pc2700 speeds if i wanted ;)

anderson, they're all basically the same thing for about the same price, and will all oc similarly too. pick whichever one you like the looks of most :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
the memory you have doesn't matter when you want to oc your cpu. i can get my cpu to 3ghz while keeping my ram under pc2700 speeds if i wanted ;)

anderson, they're all basically the same thing for about the same price, and will all oc similarly too. pick whichever one you like the looks of most :cool:
thx :D and now, recomend please, i want have the better choice

thx again

andersondiaz said:
thx :D and now, recomend please, i want have the better choice

thx again
the better choice is the one you think is best, because they're all the same aside from looks and mfg, as i just said :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
the better choice is the one you think is best, because they're all the same aside from looks and mfg, as i just said :p
jejeje very complicated my choice i see the gskill good 3-4-4-8 but mushskin say 3-4-3-8
best price gskill, mushskin more $. if the memory are same i preferf gskill revenant sayme gskill is very nice choice, i read reviewa newegg some people dont like.

(cf)Eclipse said:

i might be using the memory listed in my sig for a different computer...so i will be buying more.
Just asking if this is something i should look into rather than just buying another 2gigs of OCZ

Anderson, I just bought the G.Skill HZ set a few weeks ago and am extremely pleased, as are most of the other people who make Eclipse dig that same damn New Egg link out of his bookmarks time and again... :D (do you have a template saved somewhere for "recommending the g.skill hz's" at this point man?)

For what its worth, mine are running rock solid at 1:1 @270 fsb at stock latencies, and will actually do a little closer to 280 if my CPU didn't start wanting too much voltage for air cooling at that speed. Also, the black heat spreaders look really cool if that's a criteria for you at all.

So, for my part, I'd say get the G.Skills if for no reason other than the fact TONS of people on this board have the same kit and can share their experiences with you once its time to start seeing what you can squeeze out of 'em. They overclock pretty reliably, you don't hear about too many RMA's on them, and they are perfectly happy with stock volts. Can't ask for much more than that, eh? If you want another kit more power to ya, but there certainly isn't a good reason not to get this one that I can see.

So yeah. Whatever you decide, may the overclocking gods smile upon you. Be sure to share your decision/results. I

enlightenedby42 said:
So yeah. Whatever you decide, may the overclocking gods smile upon you. Be sure to share your decision/results. I
thx thx :D newbee here, is good opinion

thx for the gobs :D:D:D

Hey, I was here just a few short months ago with an aging Intel rig firing off questions. You'll be much happier with your l33t rig having done your homework. Like I said, don't hesitate to buy the G.Skills unless something else just pops out of you. I sure like mine.
:D

Back