G.Skill 2x1GB ZX for $217 shipped at Newegg

too expensive

not sure if you guys heard of the G.Skill GBGH DDR 400 2-2-2 for only ~$140 for 1GB.

These use UTT BH-5 chips on Brainpower PCB, i have run them 256mhz on only 3.3v cas 2-2-2, these are the same chips used by the Mushkin Redline 4000 2-2-2

Which IMO is a much much hotter deal.

This is a pretty good deal. The PC4000 GSkill sells for $249 shipped I think but it cannot achieve tight timings at PC3200 but it definitely achieved its rated speed at 3 4 4 8 from a review link on the [H] frontpage yesterday or the day before.

If you want guaranteed speed, then the PC4000 be a better deal imo for 32 more bucks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

noypi86 said:
too expensive

not sure if you guys heard of the G.Skill GBGH DDR 400 2-2-2 for only ~$140 for 1GB.

These use UTT BH-5 chips on Brainpower PCB, i have run them 256mhz on only 3.3v cas 2-2-2, these are the same chips used by the Mushkin Redline 4000 2-2-2

Yeah... But you're quoting 1GB. This is 2x1GB. :)

noypi86 said:
too expensive

Do you realize you are ocmparing 1gb and 2gb kits?
Apples to Oranges...
Personally I would rather have the extra gig for $70, but to each his own.

Ahhh your right, all i was looking at was the OC the guys were getting.

This is a hot deal then! :)

noypi86 said:
Ahhh your right, all i was looking at was the OC the guys were getting.

This is a hot deal then! :)

This revelation post of yours upgraded you from noobie status too!

J-Mag said:
This revelation post of yours upgraded you from noobie status too!

Figuratively AND literally. :D

I wonder how long it will take with deals like the G.Skill ZX and HZ modules (as well as the Patriot LL deal at Outpost) before Crucial and OCZ lower their pricing?

Received this RAM today from Newegg. Won't even do 220 1:1 at 3-4-4-8. It's a crapshoot.

-pickles

noypi86 said:
you started out as a noob here as well, dont hate on them.

Indeed we did start out that way as well, but no hating involved at all. We were amused by his enlightenment on the subject coinciding with the change in his forum status.

On subject, looks like someone at DFI-Street is angry that he got a set and can't break out of the 220s. He hasn't had any assistance from the G.Skill rep yet, but everyone should realize that high OCs aren't guaranteed with this set. If you absolutely need to hit the 250 range you should be considering a PC4000 kit, period.

Then again, the price is pretty darn nice...

----------------------

EDIT- well, looks like Pickles is making the rounds and got in before I posted this. Contact the G.Skill rep at the Xtremesystems.org forums. They have their own folder there, and he may be able to help.

Also, remember that Samsung UCCC likes lower voltage when tweaking it.

Craptacular said:
Indeed we did start out that way as well, but no hating involved at all. We were amused by his enlightenment on the subject coinciding with the change in his forum status.

Exactly, my thoughts.

Craptacular said:
EDIT- well, looks like Pickles is making the rounds and got in before I posted this. Contact the G.Skill rep at the Xtremesystems.org forums. They have their own folder there, and he may be able to help.

Also, remember that Samsung UCCC likes lower voltage when tweaking it.
I'm certainly not mad, just reporting my experience. Don't buy it *expecting* great overclocking memory as it is indeed a crapshoot. For cheap RAM at close to stock rated speeds @ 1:1 as advertised it's fine. It's also NOT supposed to be Samsung UCCC.

-pickles

ExtraPickles said:
Received this RAM today from Newegg. Won't even do 220 1:1 at 3-4-4-8. It's a crapshoot.

-pickles

Just out of curiosity are you running the highest data / drive strengths? Seems to be pretty important on 1gb sticks...

J-Mag said:
Just out of curiosity are you running the highest data / drive strengths? Seems to be pretty important on 1gb sticks...

Where can I read more about what you're talking about?

J-Mag said:
Actually... every combo of all of them in 7/04-2BTA BIOS. It's running fine on a divider with mem 2.5-3-3-7 at around 218 mhz. It's good value for the money just not the magic cheap 1:1 overclocking memory.

-pickles

ExtraPickles said:
I'm certainly not mad, just reporting my experience. Don't buy it *expecting* great overclocking memory as it is indeed a crapshoot. For cheap RAM at close to stock rated speeds @ 1:1 as advertised it's fine. It's also NOT supposed to be Samsung UCCC.

-pickles

Yeah, I had a total brainfart there. I've got the HZ modules on my mind.
It's supposed to be some unnamed Taiwanese manufacturer that supplies for the ZX.

My bad. Hope the G.Skill guys can help you squeeze a little extra out of them.

Soo overall is this thing a dud? i'm tempted to buy but it seems like people get random chip some good some bad..

me and my bro got these kits in with our a 64 3000+, on epox ultra boards and they are doing just fine with our overclocks to 2500+ mhz, bringing the ram to 230mhz and we are happy with that, we don't really see a reason to push these setups more than this :)

i had to set the cas to 2.5, the spec sheet said they are 2 but it wouldn't boot like that.

Back