G.SKILL 2GB PC2-6400 4-4-3-5 $124.99 shipped

Those are incredible timings. These must use D9s right?

Well according to Kasparz they use Promos, which a lot of people say is as good as D9 although it's not nearly as well-known. Awesome find OP, G.skill is probably my favorite company when it comes to ram.

Those are incredible timings. These must use D9s right?
As stated above, they're Promos. Which I honestly haven't heard of before now. I ordered two sets of them, and will compare them against my existing 2GB set of Firestix PC2-8000. If what my friend said is true, these *should* spank my Firestix D9 timings (currently running 4-4-4-10 @ DDR2-1000 / 2.1v). Can't wait to see.

EDIT: I was able to run 3-3-3-9 @ 533MHz w/ my D9s. Will try to match the 4-4-3-5 @ 800MHz and post back.

Ahhhh, right. When Kasparz wrote "promos", I thought he meant these were a special promotional set or something :p

So are these good to run with my 2gb PC6400 Buffalo Firestix?

I want 2gb more for 4gb...

I won't be overclocking much, but later down the road, that might be an option.

Umm, I wouldnt go pairing firestix with micron d9 chips with gskill that have 4-4-3-5 proMOS chips. Or if you do and get them perfectly stable, dont expect to overclock with them. IMO, mixing memory is never a good idea. 4GB is a big waste anyways, but if youre going to do it, at least get 4gb of the same memory.

Umm look right below my post. He said he wants 2gb more for 4gb....sounds like it to me.

Umm, I wouldnt go pairing firestix with micron d9 chips with gskill that have 4-4-3-5 proMOS chips. Or if you do and get them perfectly stable, dont expect to overclock with them. IMO, mixing memory is never a good idea. 4GB is a big waste anyways, but if youre going to do it, at least get 4gb of the same memory.
No. Guess I'm not being clear.

I want to bench these against my Firestix. Right now I'm running DDR2-1000 4-4-4-10 @ 2.1v. I'm curious how these G.Skill will measure up at their default DDR2-800 4-4-3-5 @ 2.1v. My guess is they'll be faster. And if they can hold those timings at 1000MHz ... OMG.

I also bought that $85 2gb set of Ballistix DDR2-1000 for a different build, so I see some 3way benchies in my near future. Gut tells me that, as good as these D9s are, the G.Skills are going to show a whole new level. :cool:

BTW, tried the D9 Firestix @ those timings @ 800Mhz ... put my DQ6 into an infinite cycle reboot. Couldn't even pull 4-4-4-9 @ 2.1v. Not that I'm disappointed w/ 4-4-4-10, but it will be very interesting to see how G.Skill fairs on a P965 mobo.

Id be very surprised if the gskill ended up better bro. I think what youre missing is, most micron d9gmh should be able to match those low timings(as if timings mattered much anyways). I know the ballistix should be able to do 1000mhz or so with those similar low timings.

Id be very surprised if the gskill ended up better bro. I think what youre missing is, most micron d9gmh should be able to match those low timings(as if timings mattered much anyways). I know the ballistix should be able to do 1000mhz or so with those similar low timings.
You think the D9s can hit DDR2-1000 4-4-3-5? At what voltage? I haven't seen anyone post #s like that.

I have, in fact even earlier today. I forget where it was but bleh... Youll have to do some searching.

Like I said anyways, youre splitting hairs. Timings make a small difference, so it becomes a moot point. :)

I have, in fact even earlier today. I forget where it was but bleh... Youll have to do some searching.

Like I said anyways, youre splitting hairs. Timings make a small difference, so it becomes a moot point. :)
Well, that depends on a lot of factors. Bottom line is that, for not much more than what I paid for my 2gb set of PC2-8000 Firestix, I can make the move to 4gb using some very fine hardware. Seems like a win win to me, especially since I'll still have some Fire for other projects. :)

The timing difference is something like 1%... not worth freaking out over or buying a new set of ram for an already functional computer.

I got the cheapest g.skill ram.. runs at 333 mhz (1:1 fsb) doing 4-4-4-10,, not really convinced that better ram with better timings would be worth it.. and past 1:1 fsb your gains seem minimal..

The timing difference is something like 1%... not worth freaking out over or buying a new set of ram for an already functional computer.

I got the cheapest g.skill ram.. runs at 333 mhz (1:1 fsb) doing 4-4-4-10,, not really convinced that better ram with better timings would be worth it.. and past 1:1 fsb your gains seem minimal..

I think he's talking about buying 4gigs of new Promos ram and swaping it out for the 2gb of D9's he's currently running for about the same price as buying a new set of D9's. With and extra set of ram for future projects :D

You think the D9s can hit DDR2-1000 4-4-3-5? At what voltage? I haven't seen anyone post #s like that.
Promos most likely wont scale past 2.3-2.35Vdimm, while D9's can deep breathe up to 2.5Vdimm for 24/7. D9's can do DDR2-1200 at 4-4-4-x at about 2.5Vdimm, Promos will never touch this.
Here are nice review.

Arrived today ...

Along w/ the $85 Ballistix deal set. Methinks its time to stop buying RAM for a bit. :eek:

Back