FYI: check your buyers sending country if adding paypal fees

blackbeasst

I'm with T4RD!
not all fees are the same. i added the what i thought was typical 2.9% fee for goods and services onto the asking price. buyer agreed and sent the money. come to find out although i was shipping to a US address, the money was coming in internationally. that carries a 4.4% fee with paypal.

granted it was only $9, its the principal of the matter that buyers need to be honest with this upfront.

Last edited:

Engr62

Gawd
The same thing happened to me recently. The buyer was located in another country with a shipping address in New Jersey. I accepted a lower offer from the buyer on the item, then got hit with an additional fee on top of that. Had the buyer disclosed his real location, I would not have accepted the lower offer.

ChefJoe

Limp Gawd
Are these commonly freight forwarders or something like international students at US colleges using their foreign bank accounts? I have long presumed HardForum and FS/FT to be largely US-based, although the other day I think I saw someone selling who would be shipping from the middle east.

blackbeasst

I'm with T4RD!
Are these commonly freight forwarders or something like international students at US colleges using their foreign bank accounts? I have long presumed HardForum and FS/FT to be largely US-based, although the other day I think I saw someone selling who would be shipping from the middle east.
I’m 99% sure this was a forward buyer. Mainly cause of the international payment, but also cause the ship to name didn’t match the paying name.

I mean it’s all good and he seems to have a good record here with 40+ all positive heat. So I’m not worried about it. More of a PSA for fellow members.

Furious_Styles

[H]ard|Gawd
Just want to thank OP. I put "must be a US-based buyer" in my description requirements and after talking to a potential buyer he was still trying to forward ship it out of the country. Just a reminder to double check with your buyer on his location.