FYI Bad Soltek Boards ;( SL-75FRN-RL /-L

Sniper_Merc

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a couple of friends of mine build systems on these motherboards in mid 2003, one with and one without the onboard RAID.

Just last week one of them called me on the phone telling me he was having all sorts of problems, had him go into the BIOS and tell me what the CPU temp was, 177F!!!!! (wtf!!!) Thought maybe the cpu HSF has come loose somehow and had him shut off the system and wait a couple days till he could buy a new chipset fan and get some good thermal grease (the 40 MM chipset fan also was dead. As he was putting it back together he told me that he saw "Brown Goo" on the top of a bunch of capacitors, had him stop right there and not bother going any further cause I already knew what the problem was.

Those FUCKING CHEAP ASSED CHINESE CAPS, that had there electrolyte replaced a few years ago, by a dumb assed company. At least 9 caps were leaking out the top.

Got ahold of the other friend that build his system with the same board and while his system had not blow up yet, the same 9 caps are currently leaking, just told him to be careful and not over do it with his system till he can get a new board.

Sent an email to Soltek on it, unlikely they will replace the boards due to them being out of warranty but it's worth a shot.

Now I know why Soltek up and ran like hell out of the US market back in 2003, relying instead on there distributors here to handle any problems, guess they probably found out about the fact they had gotten stuck with millions of bad caps on boards n such and folded up there US operation before anybody was the wiser.

Back