fx8800p laptops

mogar

Limp Gawd
I've been in the market for a new multimedia/light gaming laptop and this chip caught my eye. After looking around though, I haven't been able to find a laptop with this chip that isn't gimped. So, any one know of a laptop that DOESN'T run it at only 15w and available in the US?

Supposedly only the Lenovo one does not have a TDP lock but that laptop is "bigger" then what you seen offered from HP elite books..

are you saying that the various HP elitebooks using the A12-Pro apu are also throttled to 15W tdp?

They don't make them that aren't gimped to 15w. I researched the hech out of it. The only one that I know of also has a dedicated gpu so that defeats the purpose of the apu. If they do make one you probably won't be able to purchase it in the US.

I have a new HP Envy 15 laptop with the FX-8800P @1366x768 because I knew it wouldn't be able to drive games at 1080P. Slapped a 850 EVO and 16GB of G.Skill ram in it and its a sweet laptop. Got it for $520 off of an ebay return, new never turned on.

I have Diablo 3, SWTOR and UT3 loaded and all play fine at high settings. Not the latest games but good enough for me.

The hp envy 15 is actually the laptop I've been looking at. Only wish it came with a little higher res screen and the options of getting better ram and a SSD as I don't like having to void warranties straight out of the box if I don't have to. Also waiting for the new Lenovo Thinkpad series to come out too. Their newsletter said they were slated for a November release, but I haven't seen anything yet.

The hp envy 15 is actually the laptop I've been looking at. Only wish it came with a little higher res screen and the options of getting better ram and a SSD as I don't like having to void warranties straight out of the box if I don't have to. Also waiting for the new Lenovo Thinkpad series to come out too. Their newsletter said they were slated for a November release, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Yup, the problem comes in as these are nice apu's but their not made for high end gaming laptops, which means you are going to get a 5400rpm hard-drive and 6-8GB of slow 1600MHz CAS11 memory. If you want anything more you will pay for it and to be honest you'd then be better off getting an Intel Skylake 6200+ and a nv gtx 950M. I picked up the HP as the Acer's are a nightmare to upgrade. The Envy 15 you just pop off the back screws/cover and hard-drive and memory are right there.

They don't make them that aren't gimped to 15w. I researched the hech out of it. The only one that I know of also has a dedicated gpu so that defeats the purpose of the apu. If they do make one you probably won't be able to purchase it in the US.

I have a new HP Envy 15 laptop with the FX-8800P @1366x768 because I knew it wouldn't be able to drive games at 1080P. Slapped a 850 EVO and 16GB of G.Skill ram in it and its a sweet laptop. Got it for $520 off of an ebay return, new never turned on.

I have Diablo 3, SWTOR and UT3 loaded and all play fine at high settings. Not the latest games but good enough for me.

Any chance you can give linux a spin on it and report back on compatibility? Just running a live CD would work :)

One of my customers picked up a 2.4GHz i7 15" Envy with Intel/Nvidia GPUs, 12GB of ram, 1080p IPS touchscreen, backlit kboard and 1TB SSHD for $900 here in the UK.

You don't have to compromise.

^ That is insane.
What is the target market for 8800p chips though?
Also curious about battery life...

The idea is that you buy something that performs very well for only 35 Watt. When you look at certain aspects it seems what others already reported is that AMD APU tend to be huge margin instead of having a cheaper platform the platform gets cheapened. You would be able to buy your AMD Carrizo but the features are so cheap instead of going with decent to very good. Having to struggle to find a FX 8800P without the TDP lock is bad enough, after that you still want something decent as 1080p screen which most of the times seems to be a luxury feature for AMD laptops rather then the norm which in itself shows that there are unexplainable things happening ...

The same sometimes goes for the battery life when AMD makes something like Carrizo you dont see most if not all of the models having a good battery OEM cut on that too, it is silly...

Back