FX60...Should I?

JavaJiver

n00b
Simple question...
Being that I know nothing about AMD beyond what I've read for my next system...Should I buy a FX60? Is there something right around the bend from AMD to wait for?

Socket M2 is around the corner. Utilizes DD2 and "promises" better performance.

I would wait for a couple months Socket M2, rather than dropping 1300 dollars into a dead end upgrade path - FX60 is the last CPU to be released for S939.

Plus as soon as the M2 socket is released the FX-62 will be released for that platform. I will go out on a limb and say that the FX-62 will be about the same price that the FX-60 is now. Of course the FX-60 will probably drop in price SLIGHTLY be then.

deja vu, its the 939 socket release dont buy 754's anymore "dead end path" all over again.

i would never buy the FX60 or any other processor that costs lightyears more than many other capable processors for a uniproc desktop machine. there are about a hundred other things you could spend that money on to get better performance from your system. it just seems ridiculous to me. if you were spending $1400 on xeon MPs to run in a 4-way config serving up google that'd be one thing, but for a desktop system where half the rest of the crap in the box is going to be "outdated" in 12 months anyway you're insane for even entertaining the notion.

that is unless you're made of money (i mean literally your fingers are stacks of coins) or you are a professional gamer and the FX60 means the difference between winning $20K or just $5K.

Its still too expensive to be worth it, when the price goes down a few hundred dollars maybe. If you can afford it, then get it. Whenever you want to upgrade you have to upgrade, dont "wait" for the next generation because youll wait forever since this industry is CONSTANTLY evolving.

Burner27 said:
Socket M2 is around the corner. Utilizes DD2 and "promises" better performance.

THAT Corner must be dam big...cos 3 months later and we're still waiting for it to come AROUND

LOL

Add to Shopping List
Smoking HOT CPU .....Running super COOL even 3 months later !!!! I recon another 6 months till anything comes to challenge the FX60 unlocked ;)
So I'll check back in October 2006 Then !!! just intime for my christmas UPGRADE !!

Dude, aren't there enough new threads for you to read and reply to without having to go all over the place digging up all the old ones?

If you are willing to spend $1,000 dollars on a CPU, then I would expect you to have the patience to wait for AM2 and Conroe a few months down the road.

And when it comes out you should wait a little longer because something even better will be coming out... ;)

I bought an FX-60 and haven't regretted it.

I do, however, run many applications at one time all of which are CPU intensive, so for me, it was the best choice at the time.

I had no worries about it being a "dead end" path because it was socket 939, if anything I liked the fact that I knew it would be a very stable machine without chipset issues. Usually the first new batch of any chipset/socket line has at least some issues, and I really cant afford that risk.

Was it expensive? Hell yes. Do I plan to get more than a years use out of this box? Hell yes. Is it for everyone? Hell no.

It does however chew through data like a shark does through a surfboard. ;)

For a pure gaming box, an FX-57 would be better suited still. Not worth going dual core unless you have apps that will make use of it or you run LOTS of things at once that are all CPU hogs.

yeah, conroe is looking a lot better than AM2 right now... Maybe when amd gives us some info on a next gen chip that actually improves performance over 939... hm.

that question comes down to just how much money you have to spend. IF money is no object - shit why not? If you still owe money on anything else in your life - then I'd say no. :)

/end financial advice

Conroe has already proven to destroy the FX60, and as a lesser clock speed to boot. Unless AMD has superchip hidden in the bowls of their CEO, your best bet is to wait till Conroe and get the most for your buck.

Back