fx5700 overclocked doesn't work?

squall0110

n00b
hi, first off i am a noob at overclocking..anything
i've read some faqs/guides about it but i really dun understand this:

i have an ASUS V9570 FX5700 256meg
i set the core clock frequency to 433 (up from 425) and the memory clock frequency from 500= =>510 to try to keep the ratio about the same as default
the test said it would be okay etc but when i run any game it is deadly slow
from aabout 60-70fps in css it dropped all the way to 10 i really don't understand.
any help would be appreciated.

Currently my system is:
Athlon 64 2800+ running at 217MHZx9.0 multiplier
2x 512 OCZ valueram pc3200
fx5700 256meg
2xsata raid-0 160gig wd drives
thermal take vaser V case with the fans
silentboost heatsink with its primary fan

any help would be appreciated thanks.

squall0110 said:
hi, first off i am a noob at overclocking..anything
i've read some faqs/guides about it but i really dun understand this:

i have an ASUS V9570 FX5700 256meg
i set the core clock frequency to 433 (up from 425) and the memory clock frequency from 500= =>510 to try to keep the ratio about the same as default
the test said it would be okay etc but when i run any game it is deadly slow
from aabout 60-70fps in css it dropped all the way to 10 i really don't understand.
any help would be appreciated.

Currently my system is:
Athlon 64 2800+ running at 217MHZx9.0 multiplier
2x 512 OCZ valueram pc3200
fx5700 256meg
2xsata raid-0 160gig wd drives
thermal take vaser V case with the fans
silentboost heatsink with its primary fan

any help would be appreciated thanks.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.
Sory.
I had exactly the same problem with my ASUS V9950 5900 Ultra. I would overclock it in small increments (5 or 10) and try to keep the original ratio but when I would fire up CS v1.6 or any other game, my FPS would drop from (100 FPS@1024x768 Res.) to 15 FPS. I could not understand why.
Eventually, I sold the card w/o ever figuring it out.
But my best guess was that it was the drivers.
It used to overclock fine with the 45. (something) drivers but w/ later drivers such as the 66.93 it would not oc at all.
Post up your findings.

I've always just used RivaTuner to overclock (and tweak) my card - never had a problem with it.

dderidex said:
I've always just used RivaTuner to overclock (and tweak) my card - never had a problem with it.

It wouldn't matter what I use- RivaTuner, PowerStrip, Coolbits, w/e. The same negative affect would result

ya i tried all these progs, always same result...wth is with this card?
i dun haf any cash to buy a new card either =T
anyone with a solution?

You're not guaranteed an overclock with any card. Maybe your card is just at its limit.

I've actually found most Asus cards to be terrible overclockers - was wondering myself if they had found a way to limit it in the BIOS or something?

In any case, they seem to really use crap components anymore. It's a shame, but Asus has really become a brand to avoid.

=T that's definitely not cool =T
oh ya i haf k8n neo board if that would make a difference?
argh i definitely won't buy an asus card anymore

dderidex said:
I've actually found most Asus cards to be terrible overclockers - was wondering myself if they had found a way to limit it in the BIOS or something?

In any case, they seem to really use crap components anymore. It's a shame, but Asus has really become a brand to avoid.

Well....I don't think I would go that far "Asus has really become a brand to avoid." They do have some unique designs. The V9950 had a fairly unique cooling design. But anyway, how do you know ASUS uses crap components..? I read reviews of Asus cards overclocking beautifully. I do not think you can say all their cards are bad or something just because a couple do not go out of the specs they were intended to run at.

Just my opinion :p

After my Ti4400 died PNY replaced it with a 5600 Ultra. The card would not overclock 1Mhz core or memory without a ton of artifacts, I was never able to get it working overclocked. Guess the moral of the story is some cards overclock and some don't.

I've got the exact same problem with my LeadTek 5700.

With the 56.xx drivers and below overclocking works great, I can easily get it from 425/550 up to 470/610 and all is well, and games run decent. Any driver after(i.e., anything that has came out this year pretty much) that and my FPS drops dramatically in games and scrolling web pages with images causes a great deal of stutter if overclocked.

killowatt said:
I've got the exact same problem with my LeadTek 5700.

With the 56.xx drivers and below overclocking works great, I can easily get it from 425/550 up to 470/610 and all is well, and games run decent. Any driver after(i.e., anything that has came out this year pretty much) that and my FPS drops dramatically in games and scrolling web pages with images causes a great deal of stutter if overclocked.

Exactly! Same thing happened with me. :mad:

squall0110 said:
i just sent one of those notes to asus about this, lets see if they even reply to me

About overclocking..?
I bet they are not going to reply. Overclocking is taking the videocard beyond the spec it was intended to run at so Asus has no obligations to reply. Everything you get is extra.

I personaly wouldnt say, that this..

"433 (up from 425) and the memory clock frequency from 500= =>510"

.. is an OVERCLOCK. Small clock, nothing more. Or am I badly mistaken?

slasher==> nothing else worked so i was seeing if i increased just marginally to see if the problem remained and it does that is why im very baffled

it is really annoying if they don't reply to me though, i mean even the damn box is promoting their smartdoctor which they say is a safe way to overclock (too bad it doesn't work =T)

ahahaha, you sent them an e-mail complaining about your overclock. Oh, please learn English too.

Yeah I doubt Asus will respond but we can hope. I figured I just had a lemon but clearly a number of other people have experienced the same problem.. with cards from different manufacturers at that. It's as if the card inadvertantly underclocks itself with any recent driver. I would be fine with sticking with the 56.72 drivers but I'm making the assumption that newer drivers are supposed to be helping in the newer games.

Another thing I noticed with this card is that the 'detect optimal clock settings' or whatever button that I've seen in numerous screen shots of geforce reviews never shows up with this card no matter what coolbits or driver i use.

Back