FX on 785G?

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got an MSI 785G-E53. It hasnt been updated to support the newer FX series CPUs (like some motherboards have). Is there a purposeful reason for this or is it just MSI not wanting to mess with it?

I've got an MSI 785G-E53. It hasnt been updated to support the newer FX series CPUs (like some motherboards have). Is there a purposeful reason for this or is it just MSI not wanting to mess with it?
Maybe a little of both. That board is a socket AM3, not AM3+. The big difference between them was the power circuitry required to run the FX chips which the AM3+ boards provided. If everything was up to spec, then it was up to the manufacturer to provide the necessary bios update. Even then, the manufacturer might not have enough of a monetary reason to provide the update, especially if it wasn't top of the line or already EOL anyways (which this board was both by the time the FX chips released). FX chips have been out for 2+ years now, and that board was released at least 4 or more years ago. I think its safe to assume you will never get an official update to support AM3+ chips if they haven't already released it yet.

Maybe a little of both. That board is a socket AM3, not AM3+. The big difference between them was the power circuitry required to run the FX chips which the AM3+ boards provided. If everything was up to spec, then it was up to the manufacturer to provide the necessary bios update. Even then, the manufacturer might not have enough of a monetary reason to provide the update, especially if it wasn't top of the line or already EOL anyways (which this board was both by the time the FX chips released). FX chips have been out for 2+ years now, and that board was released at least 4 or more years ago. I think its safe to assume you will never get an official update to support AM3+ chips if they haven't already released it yet.

Ah... sounds reasonable. Least it supports the 1090T and 1100T which both seem to be inline with the FX6300 (aside from power requirements).

Back