• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FX-8300 vs i7-950 Minecraft server

Haswellbeast

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Feb 5, 2025
Messages
593
Basically the title. I have both of these systems as my "cast-off" parts. I want to run a minecraft server with a couple of friends and run the fabric plugin. I am mostly debating it because apparently Minecraft uses only a couple of threads (3-4) and the FX has terrible single thread (better than the i7 with some overclocking, but not good for a server) I hear that AMD FX can get pretty efficient with undervolting, But I still worry about the single thread performance.

TLDR: which would be more efficient as a server in a lightly multi threaded (no more than 3-4, mostly hammers 1) task, with undervolting in consideration.
 
The 1366 i7-950. But go on ebay and buy a $10 xeon x5680 (6c12t 3.3ghz) to replace it
Yeah, I was considering that, but the i7 is just a bit too old to have the same power saving features (so I hear). The FX has cnq, c6, c1e and the like, plus I have a 95w version that can sip power if undervolted enough. Really, it is just hard to find power consumption numbers for the i7, FX seems to have been covered to death.
 
I used an fx 8350 for a few days when i was playing musical machines about a year ago...

If you run vanilla, it will be ok. Any mods.........no.
 
I used an fx 8350 for a few days when i was playing musical machines about a year ago...

If you run vanilla, it will be ok. Any mods.........no.
This was about my experience running a Xeon w3690 (similar to an i7 990x) for a minecraft server a couple years ago. Ran great vanilla with a few users, a few mods it was just OK. Then tried running some mods plus that Geyser crossover thing (for compatibility between bedrock and java) and it wasn't a great experience... CPU wasn't pegged but I think I ran into the limits of it's single thread performance.
 
This was about my experience running a Xeon w3690 (similar to an i7 990x) for a minecraft server a couple years ago. Ran great vanilla with a few users, a few mods it was just OK. Then tried running some mods plus that Geyser crossover thing (for compatibility between bedrock and java) and it wasn't a great experience... CPU wasn't pegged but I think I ran into the limits of it's single thread performance.
I also ran it on a xwon 2191b...thought sonce it was close to a 3600x it would be ok...nope. ran behind.

I currently use a 5950x and almost never does it run behind. So, a 5600x is my minimum recommended cpu for minecraft.
 
We used to run 3 local instances off of a Phenom 2 X6 1090T, setup for local splitscreen, 48 mods running 1.7.10 java edition (back before it was called java edition). I dont even remember what GPU we had, maybe 7970 or GTX580, but everything ran fine once we pumped the RAM with whatever DIMMs we could find. I just installed fjordlauncher the other day and straight copy+pasted my old mod setup from ~2014 and it all still works perfectly, used the same version of forge that I had before and everythings the same as I remember. Its still horrendously unstable, crashes every time I change the controls/settings, or pause, or just doing anything really. Peak Minecraft.

IIRC the IPC of FX was lower than Ph2, the clockspeeds might be able to fill in the gap but it would take some work to outright beat an X6 @ 4.0ghz, which is what I had (it degraded to 3.8 by the end, sry fella), so I would probobly use the I7 over the FX. If power consumption is more important than cost for you, you could get somthing like an I7 3770T which still uses cheap DDR3 and its significantly faster than any of the older 1st gen I7s/Xeons.
 
We used to run 3 local instances off of a Phenom 2 X6 1090T, setup for local splitscreen, 48 mods running 1.7.10 java edition (back before it was called java edition). I dont even remember what GPU we had, maybe 7970 or GTX580, but everything ran fine once we pumped the RAM with whatever DIMMs we could find. I just installed fjordlauncher the other day and straight copy+pasted my old mod setup from ~2014 and it all still works perfectly, used the same version of forge that I had before and everythings the same as I remember. Its still horrendously unstable, crashes every time I change the controls/settings, or pause, or just doing anything really. Peak Minecraft.

IIRC the IPC of FX was lower than Ph2, the clockspeeds might be able to fill in the gap but it would take some work to outright beat an X6 @ 4.0ghz, which is what I had (it degraded to 3.8 by the end, sry fella), so I would probobly use the I7 over the FX. If power consumption is more important than cost for you, you could get somthing like an I7 3770T which still uses cheap DDR3 and its significantly faster than any of the older 1st gen I7s/Xeons.
Really, what voltage did it degrade at?
 
Really, what voltage did it degrade at?

I dont really remember, I still have that board + CPU but im sure the CMOS is dead by now so I wont know the original settings. Definitely under 1.45v, IIRC those CPUs had very low thermal headroom, I think I remember the safe limit being only 62C, im sure it spent the last years of its life at or near that temperature. We tried to "fix" it by strapping a 38mm delta fan to the hyper 212 but nobody could stand the noise lol.
 
Haswellbeast, I see you have a 1366 mobo. and am3 stuff. Have you tried a 6 core 1366 xeon yet? They are lots of fun to overclock and faster then a OCed 8300.
 
Welp, end of an era.
Finally retired the 3x ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2 + FX-8320s from fileserver duty; 24/7/365 since ~2011 without a hiccup
Replaced them with 3x MSI Z87-GD65 + i7 4770Ks (had the retired parts, figured I would upgrade for PCI-E 3.0 and x86-64-v3)
 
Basically the title. I have both of these systems as my "cast-off" parts. I want to run a minecraft server with a couple of friends and run the fabric plugin. I am mostly debating it because apparently Minecraft uses only a couple of threads (3-4) and the FX has terrible single thread (better than the i7 with some overclocking, but not good for a server) I hear that AMD FX can get pretty efficient with undervolting, But I still worry about the single thread performance.

TLDR: which would be more efficient as a server in a lightly multi threaded (no more than 3-4, mostly hammers 1) task, with undervolting in consideration.
FX is good for data, so if you are doing multiple worlds, choose the FX. If its just one world, you're not doing anything actually dumb, use the intel chip and save the FX for a NAS or sell it to me.
 
Welp, end of an era.
Finally retired the 3x ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2 + FX-8320s from fileserver duty; 24/7/365 since ~2011 without a hiccup
Replaced them with 3x MSI Z87-GD65 + i7 4770Ks (had the retired parts, figured I would upgrade for PCI-E 3.0 and x86-64-v3)
I'll take the FX please please please omg
 
What about a r5 2600 with 16 of ram and a b450mb? You can have it for the cost of shipping.
 
What about a r5 2600 with 16 of ram and a b450mb? You can have it for the cost of shipping.
Gee really? I mean, I got busy and no longer have that server running, but that would be sick to have for when I do come back.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top