FX-8150 temperature problems

de_yogurt

n00b
Joined
Jul 27, 2013
Messages
9
I was given an FX-8150 from a friend who said the temperature ran hot. Didn't think anything of it and thought he might have the cooler seated incorrectly or something like. I bought a motherboard to use with the processor and everything was going good. I ran The Division for like an hour and the game crashed. The temperature was above the TDP. I lowered the clocked to around 3.0GHz to get the temperature under control. However, now I am wondering what I should change the voltage too, since I'm not running the stock clock. Thanks for your time and help!

Yogurt
 
if you lower the clock then yes you will want to lower te voltage to also lower the temps. If the chip is old enough it could be heat spreader issues ( only delidding would fix and honestly haven't heard of this with the FX series so not highly likely).
 
What would be a good starting point to lower the voltage too? I was an Intel guy for a bit and then this just kind of fell in my lap and I figured it would do better than my G3258. Should I start at like 1.2?
 
What CPU cooler and thermal compound are you using?

I am using a Hyper 212 Evo with whatever came in the package. My friend was using a H100i or something like that. It definitely seems like it is an issue with the CPU itself.
 
What would be a good starting point to lower the voltage too? I was an Intel guy for a bit and then this just kind of fell in my lap and I figured it would do better than my G3258. Should I start at like 1.2?
depends on the VID (base voltage) but it prob is around 1.2V for healthy chips.
 
In HWMonitor the CPU VCORE reads 1.20 to 1.22 with a min of 1.176

You should reset back to stock clocks, make sure everything is stable, then slowly make adjustments to the clock speed to check temps and stability. When the system crashes, you can either dial in a bit more voltage or lower the clock (depending in your temperatures). What you are doing is the backwards way of overclocking.
 
You should reset back to stock clocks, make sure everything is stable, then slowly make adjustments to the clock speed to check temps and stability. When the system crashes, you can either dial in a bit more voltage or lower the clock (depending in your temperatures). What you are doing is the backwards way of overclocking.
I'm not trying to overclock, I just didn't know what else to do to get the processor stable enough to use, but I think I get what you are saying
 
I'm not trying to overclock, I just didn't know what else to do to get the processor stable enough to use, but I think I get what you are saying

Oh I get it now...

Have you tried stress testing JUST the CPU? Go download Prime 95 and run that. What happens?
 
Oh I get it now...

Have you tried stress testing JUST the CPU? Go download Prime 95 and run that. What happens?
I did think of that but it didn't make much sense to me to stress the CPU when it can't even handle more than an hour of a game
 
Back
Top