FX 5900, how to remove the heat spreader?

Sniper_Merc

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering cause I have a friend with one that seems to be running quite hot, and i think theres a posiblity that the thermal compound between the heat spreader and the core has come loose. Temps are hovering in the 85-86 C range and thats after replacing the stock cooler with a VF 700.

Thinking that just a razor blade around the edge will allow it to be popped off.

Just use a knife and slip it under one of the corners, try several of the corners because one of them is held on more loosly. Move the knife up the side of the heatspreader until it's about 2/3 or the way off and them just lift it off gently. Hope it helps, didnt do much for me, maybe 2-4c under full load.

Flak Monkey said:
Just use a knife and slip it under one of the corners, try several of the corners because one of them is held on more loosly. Move the knife up the side of the heatspreader until it's about 2/3 or the way off and them just lift it off gently. Hope it helps, didnt do much for me, maybe 2-4c under full load.

Whats the temps currently on your 5900? Just wondering if what im seeing on his system is correct, roughly 63 C Idle, 85 C load.

Back