• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FX 5600 Ultra

hauntedfury

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
77
is this FX 5600 Ultra a good card?
How does it stand up against Radeon 9600 Pro and XT and Geforce 6200
 
I used to have a 5600 non-ultra and it was hopeless. Can't imagine the Ultra is much better. Run, don't walk, away from it, unless you get it at garage-sale prices.

The 6200 would blow away everything else on your list, as long as we're not talking about one of the TurboCache models.
 
less than $50 is about what I'd pay for a 5600. the x600xt or 9600 xt are excellent cards, also the non turbo cache 6200's. If you can spring for it get a 6600 or 6600 gt, those are the realy high performance value cards.
 
hm........i read quite a lot of reviews about the FX5600 Ultra and it doesnt seem that bad andi dont think it should be as it is 128-bit, has a memory bandwidth of 12.8 G/z, Core of 400Mhz and Memory CLock of 800MHz............Isnt that quite fast enough.i think its at least faster than the 9600 Pro
Also i read a lot of reviews and in most of them it seemed to perform at least better than a 9600 Pro
Whats the problem with the card then?
 
Only tomshardware is the site i think which shows FX 5600 Ultra quite below the 9600 Pro.................What is this
I am quite Confused..............cause i was quite impressed with the specs (400 Mhz Core,800 Mhz Memory, and 12.8 Gb/S Mem Bandwith) :(
 
If you're looking for a mid-range card go for the geforce 6600. That thing is sweet. I have a Go version in my laptop and it rocks. I know someone who loves their desktop model.
 
FX series = crap in general
5200 = HUGE pile of crap
5600 = big pile of crap
5700 = crap

6200 = good price and great features (great budget card)
ti4200+ = actually better, but no DX9 features
5900 = good, DX9


6600 = much better and great features
6600GT = good, but so close to a 6800nu why not save a few more $ for one

6800nu = best bang for buck card, especially if it unlocks to a 6800GT
6800GT = great card, great price, great features

7800GTX = best card, ass rape prices
 
I had a BFG 5600Ultra, it wasn't all that bad of a card. When I upgraded to my 9800Pro I gave it to my brother and he plays XPlane, MS Flight Sim 2004 on it alot and he doesnt complain.

I ran that card on a Celeron 1300@1600, 440bx, 1gb ram, AGP 2x. I was able to score in the high 13k in 3DMarks01. I can't remember what it scored in 3DMarks03.
 
He can always go for a 9800 pro that are selling rather cheap. If he can get it for under $100, he should go for it. You simply gotta see what amount of money your working with 7 if your willing to save more for a better performing card. 9800 Pro --> 6200 --> 6600 --> 6800NU. get a 6600GT if you don't want to spare extra for a 6800NU.

-DarkLegacy
 
By this order
9800 Pro --> 6200 --> 6600 --> 6800NU

U mean 6200 would be better than a 9800 Pro?
 
Actually I believe the 6200 is not better than a 9800 Pro but I will google up some reviews to be assure of that. its half of what the 9800 pro is 4 Piplines to 8/ 128 bit memory to 256bit.

-DarkLegacy
 
He failed to mention that the 6200 that he's talking about is a 64 bit memory bus. Which makes it crap.
 
nah, Im referring to the 256Mb DDR/128bit brand. I just ran across a 6200 that has 512mb DDR on it thats at a 64bit interface. I was like wtf were they thinking with that idea lol. You will simply get what you pay for with a 6200. I still say get a 6600GT or a bit extra for a 6800NU.

-DarkLegacy
 
Its this simple.

The 9600 has a more efficent core than the 5600, so the 9600 is better than the 5600. Pure specs means nothing at all anymore, so do not base a cards performance on them.

The reason why you shouldnt go with the 6200 is because its memory bus is only 64bits wide. This cuts the memory bandwidth in half, and limits your performance by a lot, making the card slower than the 9600.

And with all that in mind you should buy the 9600.

DarkLegacy said:
nah, Im referring to the 256Mb DDR/128bit brand. I just ran across a 6200 that has 512mb DDR on it thats at a 64bit interface. I was like wtf were they thinking with that idea lol. You will simply get what you pay for with a 6200. I still say get a 6600GT or a bit extra for a 6800NU.

-DarkLegacy

He cant get those cards, where he lives its simply not possible for him.
 
DarkLegacy said:
He can always go for a 9800 pro that are selling rather cheap. If he can get it for under $100, he should go for it. You simply gotta see what amount of money your working with 7 if your willing to save more for a better performing card. 9800 Pro --> 6200 --> 6600 --> 6800NU. get a 6600GT if you don't want to spare extra for a 6800NU.

-DarkLegacy

I'd like to see a 6200 beating a 9800Pro.
 
Back
Top