fx-55 temps too high?

I just installed an fx-55 into my abit av8 mobo and added a thermalright si-128 with a nexus 1000 rpm fan using the OCZ Ultra+ thermal paste and I am getting

2600 MHz
idle: 47
load: 57

2813Mhz (with the mu Guru quick clock tool)
idle: 49
load: 71

More info on my setup:
For fans I am running two 80mm CoolMaster LED fans @ 7V in my front intake, one crappy Alienware 80mm fan on the side intake @ 7V, one nexus 120mm @12V in my exhaust, and one nexus 120mm fan @12V on my si-128. OCZ 2GB PC3200 Performance Series Dual Channel DDR Kit as well as 1GB of generic Alienware ram. All of this is in the previous generation alienware case.

Are these temps too high? should I re-apply the thermal paste? I do plan on actually overclocking this thing for real (not with the OC tool from abit).

PS any links or tips for OCing this thing with the above mentioned parts would be great.

i cant get my 55 over 2900, but its not a heat issue, i have a zalman 9700...

and at idle, im at 28-29C, and after hours of gaming, prime 95, etc, it never breaks 35-38C.

Yours temps sound WAY high. I would redo the paste and heat sink.

I took the above mentioned advice and re-applied the thermal compound and while I was at it I took the liberty of lapping my heatsink (800/1000/2000 grit) and my temps are still way too high.

Am I doing something wrong? Here's what I did.

Step 1: I cleaned all the old thermal compund off the proc and the HS with Arctic Silver two-step cleaner and a coffee filter.

Step 2: I applied the thermal compound by putting a grain of rice size amount in the middle and spreading it evenly over the proc with a finger in a plastic bag. Then I secured the HS to the proc as per thermalright's instructions and give it a little turn in each direction. Then I secured my fan to the HS and replaced the side panel.

I did drop my temps a little, now I am idleling at 42-43 and 55-56 under full load. All of these temps are from speedfan and Abit EQ (they pretty much match up all the time).

Do these procs just run hot? Should I "bake" the thermal compound by running my pc at 100% for a few hours? do I just let it set on its own? If it helps it is an fx-55 Clawhammer week 39.

What should I do? I'm pretty much outta ideas here. I dont really want to put a louder fan on it because the whole point of this "upgrade" was to get things quieter :rolleyes:

Canadian 2.5RS said:
I took the above mentioned advice and re-applied the thermal compound and while I was at it I took the liberty of lapping my heatsink (800/1000/2000 grit) and my temps are still way too high.

Am I doing something wrong? Here's what I did.

Step 1: I cleaned all the old thermal compund off the proc and the HS with Arctic Silver two-step cleaner and a coffee filter.

Step 2: I applied the thermal compound by putting a grain of rice size amount in the middle and spreading it evenly over the proc with a finger in a plastic bag. Then I secured the HS to the proc as per thermalright's instructions and give it a little turn in each direction. Then I secured my fan to the HS and replaced the side panel.

I did drop my temps a little, now I am idleling at 42-43 and 55-56 under full load. All of these temps are from speedfan and Abit EQ (they pretty much match up all the time).

Do these procs just run hot? Should I "bake" the thermal compound by running my pc at 100% for a few hours? do I just let it set on its own? If it helps it is an fx-55 Clawhammer week 39.

What should I do? I'm pretty much outta ideas here. I dont really want to put a louder fan on it because the whole point of this "upgrade" was to get things quieter :rolleyes:
YOur not doing anything wrong. I would have to say that the poster above who said he is @ 28c idle and 35c load is WAY WRONG, unless he is using W/Cing. The sensor on his board is very inaccurate. I have had the FX55 (clawhammer) and the FX55 (san deigo) and they are VERY hot chips. Almost need W/Cing to make them happy. My FX57 was the same way. These chips are 125w chip (I believe) and air cooling them after an OC is very hard to maintain a good temp. I had to phase change my FX57 to get past 3.1GHz. I would have to say that your temps are normal for this chip, however 70C+ is dangerous. See if you can stay under 1.5vcore.

newls1 said:
YOur not doing anything wrong. I would have to say that the poster above who said he is @ 28c idle and 35c load is WAY WRONG, unless he is using W/Cing. The sensor on his board is very inaccurate. I have had the FX55 (clawhammer) and the FX55 (san deigo) and they are VERY hot chips. Almost need W/Cing to make them happy. My FX57 was the same way. These chips are 125w chip (I believe) and air cooling them after an OC is very hard to maintain a good temp. I had to phase change my FX57 to get past 3.1GHz. I would have to say that your temps are normal for this chip, however 70C+ is dangerous. See if you can stay under 1.5vcore.

Wow thats comforting. I was pretty worried for a while there. I wasnt planning on using the abit auto-clocking feature as a permanant fix, I just wanted to see what it would do. I will try to get a decent clock without getting my temps too high. I tried the auto-clock again after lapping the HS and re-applying the TC and I couldnt get it above 68C. so I guess i'm going in the right direction. :D

Canadian 2.5RS said:
Wow thats comforting. I was pretty worried for a while there. I wasnt planning on using the abit auto-clocking feature as a permanant fix, I just wanted to see what it would do. I will try to get a decent clock without getting my temps too high. I tried the auto-clock again after lapping the HS and re-applying the TC and I couldnt get it above 68C. so I guess i'm going in the right direction. :D
Don't use "AUTO" anything EVER :eek: . Use the BIOS to OC with your setup. I firs would drop the HTT link to 4x, set the FSB to 230, and use a 12x multi, try a Vcore of 1.475ish, and set your RAM Vdimm, and divider if needed as per your ram specs. Try this stuff, and if your stable, using this Vcore will give you OK temps @ load.

Back