• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FX 5200 wierd after OC

EgyptBoy20

Gawd
Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Messages
799
Well, I oced my FX5200. I have it at 350/500. When I open up Halo, it crashes, or has wierd lines and corrupted stuff all over. Anyone have an idea whats going on here?
 
Reduce back to stock speeds. I have one of those paperweights.....errrrr I mean video cards around here somewhere and it was the worst thing I ever bought for my comp.

Seriously the 5200 is not an overclocker.
 
you've exceeded the max OC of your card, sounds like it's artifacting..... try setting clockspeeds lower, and see if it helps, also try it at stock speeds and see if it still does this..... if so you may have messed the card up, if it fixes the problem, try upping the clocks in 5MHz increments on the core to find the max OC there, then do the same with the memory...... I lucked out with my 9600np, went right from 324core/200mem to 475core/250mem in one jump, but it could have turned out differently...... good luck :cool:

Edit: looks like Snotrocket beat me to the punch....
 
Ok, thanks.
Before I got it up to 350 core, I had it at 300, so I think I will keep it at there.
 
i seriously doubt the cooling on one of those abominations is sufficient to do any serious OCing anyways..... not trying to be rude and dis your videocard, so don't take this the wrong way, but I had to choose between a FX5200 DX9 card and an ATI Radeon 9000 DX8.1 card when I messed up my 9800np OCing it (bad arctic silencer install) and I picked the Radeon.... because as slow as that was, it was faster than the FX5200....
 
Thats OK.Im not worried about it because im building my FX55/ATI CrossFire system later this year. Thanks anyway.
 
O/C it till it MELTS!!!
FIREdevil.gif
 
put some kind of insane cooling on the mofo and as the previous poster said, OC it til it melts......... see if you can do a voltmod or something and mount a huge HSF on there and break some futuremark records for a FX5200
 
I can see it now.. A cascade setup cooling a FX5200..

I wonder?? Would a FX5200 @800 core even be able to beat a 6800gt @ stock speeds???

^
If you think I'm being serious, your not too swift..
:D
 
might beat a 9600XT..... until you turned AA on.... *LOL*

of course, only if its a 128 bit fx5200
 
or if u dont want to kill it, send it to me and I will pop it into my old pentium 3 system :)
 
overlocking a FX 5200 is like modifying a honda civic
 
coolie_d said:
might beat a 9600XT..... until you turned AA on.... *LOL*

of course, only if its a 128 bit fx5200

no way, my brother had a 128 bit fx 5200 and then upgraded to a 9600xt. it went from not being able to play anything to having respectable framerates in most games.
 
I have a fx 5200....

It is teh bfg 256mb version. I have a real old cpu (1.4 ghz athlon) and 256 mb of sdram in my system and i have to run Warcraft 3 at pretty much lowest settings, cept maybe textures on medium (o and shadows on, b/c otherwise id be at a disadvantage in the games i play).
 
coolie_d said:
i seriously doubt the cooling on one of those abominations is sufficient to do any serious OCing anyways..... not trying to be rude and dis your videocard, so don't take this the wrong way, but I had to choose between a FX5200 DX9 card and an ATI Radeon 9000 DX8.1 card when I messed up my 9800np OCing it (bad arctic silencer install) and I picked the Radeon.... because as slow as that was, it was faster than the FX5200....

I somehow doubt that. My fx5200 performed better than my friend's radeon 9200.
 
Heh...maybe I'll put a fan and heatsink on it and I'll make some progress...can anyone point me in the right direction? And, if there is no hope in this, just tell me...I do not appreciate flames.
 
i put a 60mm on my fx5200 from MSI, the screws i used dug right into the heatsink and it was a perfect match, it's doing 340/580, gained about 10-11fps in hl2 from stock 275/400, and i run 2d core at 200 so it runs as cool as possible before going into use
 
Lsv said:
i put a 60mm on my fx5200 from MSI, the screws i used dug right into the heatsink and it was a perfect match, it's doing 340/580, gained about 10-11fps in hl2 from stock 275/400, and i run 2d core at 200 so it runs as cool as possible before going into use
Thanks. I think im gonna save the money for my Tornados in teh ub3r FX55/ ATi CrossFire.
 
Snotrocket said:
Reduce back to stock speeds. I have one of those paperweights.....errrrr I mean video cards around here somewhere and it was the worst thing I ever bought for my comp.

Seriously the 5200 is not an overclocker.

Not entirely true.

I have an XFX FX5200 128MB card and using Nvidia's auto overclock
to detect optimal settings, it brought my card from 250/333 to
310/456 stable.

That's with the stock cooling.
 
rfwinters77 said:
Not entirely true.

I have an XFX FX5200 128MB card and using Nvidia's auto overclock
to detect optimal settings, it brought my card from 250/333 to
310/456 stable.

That's with the stock cooling.

the card is still slow though :)
 
Back
Top