Futuristic RPG

webbed

Weaksauce
I've been playing some rpgs and alot of WoW recently and I need something new. I like rpgs and progressing and stuff but I'm bored of dragons and elves. I'd like to play a futuristic sci-fi rpg but i cant think of any. Something like oblivion a thousand years from now. If anyonne has agood recommendations please share them. Id prefer a game without a monthly fee but if there is a free trial i guess i could try it out. Thanks.

You could try EVE Online. It's sort of futuristic in that it takes place in space and you fly spaceships of various quality and levels. There is even a [H]ard Corporation you can join to be among friends. 14 day free trial here and download the client here.

Neocron pops to mind

Not the greatest of games, but it's like $20 I think for purchase and you get a free month. It's different and offers a change of pace from most other MMO's

I've been playing some rpgs and alot of WoW recently and I need something new. I like rpgs and progressing and stuff but I'm bored of dragons and elves. I'd like to play a futuristic sci-fi rpg but i cant think of any. Something like oblivion a thousand years from now. If anyonne has agood recommendations please share them. Id prefer a game without a monthly fee but if there is a free trial i guess i could try it out. Thanks.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has a good bit of RPG elements to it, but a good portion of FPS, too. I dig a good RPG as well, they're very immersive if done right, but not all the fantasy/swords stuff. I am a sucker for Peter Molynux's work, so, I wait in anticipation for Fable 2.

Huxley may be another, there's also a MMO(I guess that's what you'd call it, it'll be heavily instanced though) called SUN (Souls of the Ultimate Nation) that's in closed beta in Korea and will eventually be translated into English. The company's called WebZen for both these titles and that have some (graphically) amazing looking stuff on the horizon -- as well as some unique stances on game play. Worth checking into.

A year or so for now, Stargate Worlds (MMORPG/FPS) will be in it's beta or live stage, but that's a ways out.

If you want something that's a futuristic MMO, how about Planetside? It isn't so much an RPG, but it is a persistant world FPS. There is also Anarchy Online, one of the older MMORPGs, and one of the first ones to be sci-fi. The Matrix Online is another sci-fi MMO.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Deus Ex, Fallout series, System Shock 1/2, Anachronox.

And you could even branch out to console JRPGs.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I'll be busy for a while.Ill probably try some of the free trials. Are any of the mmo's that were mentioned casual friendly or do you need to play all day, everyday to really get any where?

yea, this game is actually making me seriously consider getting a 360. ( unless theres a PC version im unawares of)

So far, there haven't been any announcements for a PC version. I mean, it'll probably come, but will take a couple years, like Jade Empire did.

I'm seriously thinking about picking up stalker, for only 40$ I think it might be worth it, I like shooters and I like rpgs, so...

It's is being done by ex-Blizzard employees that did the Diablo series. It changes the view to First Person and uses SciFi weapons.

And will have monthly fee's and be a stripped down former shadow of itself, at the rate Roper is chopping it up... (They just killed the LAN aspect,a feature promised ages ago...)

FeeGate : Gimped In London

You cannot go wrong with Fallout.

It's going to be 360 exclusive, but Mass Effect looks to be great as well. Maybe even great enough to force me to buy a 360, finally. Maybe.

Omikron

Arcanum, though it actually is kind of a retro-futuruistic style, it has guns/machines, etc yet has a familiar fantasy feeling to it as well.

!!!!!!!!!!! never finished anachronox, but remembers it being fairly good.

!!!!!!!!!!! hopes tabula rasa will actually come out soon, because that actually looks promising for an mmo.

What about all this Hellgate business?
I'm seriously psyched about Hellgate: London. H:L and Crysis are my two must-plays for 2007. Alan Wake looks interesting, but I don't know if it's FPS or RPG. It may not be out 'til early 2008.

Alan Wake will most likely be a third-person shooter a-la Max Payne 2 style, especially since it seems to share the same basic engine with some minor tweaks like HDR lighting etc.

Alan Wake will most likely be a third-person shooter a-la Max Payne 2 style, especially since it seems to share the same basic engine with some minor tweaks like HDR lighting etc.

Same basic engine??? :eek: Have you saw the videos of it? It hardly looks anywhere near the Max Payne 2 engine..

Though I think it'll be more of an adventure/mystery game along with some shooter/action elements are parts. (since we know his flashlight will act as a weapon against some creatures and such).

Fallout gets my vote it set the standard as someone above has already said.

Same basic engine??? :eek: Have you saw the videos of it? It hardly looks anywhere near the Max Payne 2 engine..

Though I think it'll be more of an adventure/mystery game along with some shooter/action elements are parts. (since we know his flashlight will act as a weapon against some creatures and such).

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Uses an engine thats almost 5 years old, Possibly older.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Uses an engine thats almost 5 years old, Possibly older.

Yes, but through that engine they have tweaked/added new effects throughout the development (IE, HDR, etc).

Anarchy Online is a good futuristic MMO that is free and you can level up then decide to go for the paid for stuff later. I played that game a good long while back in the day.

Back