Futuristic Right Angle Radiator

HardOCP News

[H] News
Translating this page doesn’t help much but what we can tell from the picture, this is a radiator of sorts built completely from right angle tubing and it looks awesome. Imagine using something like this in a watercooled PC mod.

Flow restriction, anyone?

I can't imagine the pressure drop across those lines.

yeah really, isn't the water flow going to be restricted... i guess just get a better pump, hmm?

It is insanely cool looking, but you would have to cover it in fins which would kind of kill the look.

It would be a good way to consolidate a dry ice radiator. Isolate it to a smaller area and sumberge in dry ice and ammonia.

Spongebob Squarepants called. He wants his brain back.

I'm not sure that flow restriction is going to be a problem, that looks like 1" pipe being fed by 1/2" tubes, so your not going to have that much head loss. It's not going to be magically cheap or anything, but make one large enough and it'll work just fine.

Aren't those plastic pipe elbows? If so there would be little to no cooling of any fluid flowing through, if it was copper pipe it would be much better.

That aside it looks like it would be better suited for a secondary conduction system, such as submersed in a river, or bathtub. For an air radiator it does not look like it would cool very well, as there is not much surface area for heat transfer.
Also there does not appear to be much separation between the inlet and outlet connections. thus the inlet heat would warm the outlet temperature, thus reducing the efficiency of the cooler. Now if the inlet and outlet were on opposite corners, it might work better.

Maybe this is just a cool piece of art, Spongebob poop, or Borg storage facility.

Aren't those plastic pipe elbows? If so there would be little to no cooling of any fluid flowing through, if it was copper pipe it would be much better.

Its a radiator so I'd assume that it can radiate effectively :)
It is probably painted copper tubing.

another happy camper, x64 like it much better than xp and feel it runs better, as it takes advantage of my hardware, if you have old tech, stick with xp, if you don't what are you waiting for :D

sam

another happy camper, x64 like it much better than xp and feel it runs better, as it takes advantage of my hardware, if you have old tech, stick with xp, if you don't what are you waiting for :D

sam

That will be the brainy radiator at work, it comes free with X64.

Looks interesting! I'd imagine you could do something with that configuration to allow multiple pass instead of one continuous tube to up the flow rate through all those turns. Not sure if you could get away with totally passive cooling with that, but certainly unique.

I'm tempted to go to the hardware store...

such as submersed in a river

That is an awesome idea.... My next house (after I win the lottery of course) will be next to a cool river or the ocean or something so I can use it as my thermal sink!

Sometimes... knowing French helps:

The designer used fractals structures to boost the performance of this radiaton.

What he intended to do was a radiator to heat your house with. They are more compact (34cm or 13 inches) and they can be left on the ground.

The Idea was to replace an ugly radiator with something akin to a work of art.

--------------------------------
In other words... Not sure if it would be so usefull for cooling your rig. Unless you heat your water way up OR have a VERY big case.

Looks interesting! I'd imagine you could do something with that configuration to allow multiple pass instead of one continuous tube to up the flow rate through all those turns. Not sure if you could get away with totally passive cooling with that, but certainly unique.

I'm tempted to go to the hardware store...

What?

Interesting--although prohibitively expensive, if you go for standard copper elbows. It's 8 elbows in each direction, for a total around 512. A quick look at Lowes.com says that a 10-pack of 1/2" elbows costs $3.60. So 52 * 3.60 = $187. That's expensive for a radiator.

I have to admit, though, it does look pretty cool.

(copper couplings are $2.72/10pk, so add another $140 for those. That makes a total cost of over $320. Plus tax)

(copper couplings are $2.72/10pk, so add another $140 for those. That makes a total cost of over $320. Plus tax)

plus like 600% markup for being a "work of art" from some fancy design studio. unless you make it yourself I guess.

Put a couple LEDs in the center of it so the light glows through the curves and it would look REALLY cool.

Spongebob Squarepants called and he wants his brain back.

Interesting--although prohibitively expensive, if you go for standard copper elbows. It's 8 elbows in each direction, for a total around 512. A quick look at Lowes.com says that a 10-pack of 1/2" elbows costs $3.60. So 52 * 3.60 = $187. That's expensive for a radiator.

I have to admit, though, it does look pretty cool.

This stuff is art, it doesn't have to be cheap.

The water can be routed through multiple channels to prevent a flow restriction.

That looks like a good 3d rendering to me.
Wow, it took a whole page for someone to notice.

I doubt this is real since it uses typical global illumination that everyone uses for renders of high poly models. You can't have that in real-life unless you have a completely white room with multiple lights all around...and no one will get one just to show off a product.

You won't need copper couplings, you can buy the 1/2 inch elbows that are narrow on one end to allow for easy tight joints. However it would take a crazy long time to sweat a couple hundred elbows. And at a price point of $150 or so, that about what a car radiator would cost.

Also, I thought that as long as the circumference of the pipe did not change (and it does not with copper elbows) the pressure in the line would not change.
Can someone who knows more about fluid dynamics than me confirm?

With enough copper elbows you would have plenty of surface area to radiate from, yet hold enough volume to act as a reservoir as well.

I kind of want to build this thing.

There will be some amount of pressure drop through any length of pipe, no matter the size. Granted, the larger the pipe, the lower the pressure drop. It's a not-so simple equation that takes into account the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe, the smoothness of the pipe (Reynolds number), and the flow rate, among other things. A quick google shows me that an elbow produces the same pressure drop as a piece of straight pip with length = 30 * inside diameter. That means that (assuming the piping is all 1/2") each elbow is the equivalent of 15 inches of copper pipe. That gives a total of 7500ish inches of 1/2" pipe, or 625 feet.

A reference indicates that at 1gpm flow, such a system would give you .01psi pressure loss per foot. So 625*.01 = 6.25 PSI or about 14 feet of head. I don't know how much pressure a typical WC pump gives.

Hmm... A swiftech MCP350 (very common pump) has 13 feet of head.

So if one were to build this radiator with 256 elbows (instead of the initially planned 512), It would fall well into the range that the pump can handle. It would also push the cost of building it down to $75. But I still wouldn't want to sweat 256 joints. Perhaps there is a suitable glue that can handle the weight. It would also be a suitable reservoir, holding around 1/2 gallon of fluid.

Back