Future Tech

Corvette

[H]ard|Gawd
I visit this site every now and then. http://www.oled-info.com/samsung-st...tvs-may-introduce-quantum-dots-lcds-next-week They take the display news and filter out anything that isn't OLED related. This article in particular seems to promise something that isn't another LCD.

I guess the good news is that OLED displays are coming http://www.oled-info.com/lg-selling...did-whole-2013-will-bring-prices-down-further , but for some reason we aren't getting the monitors we deserve. I don't use deserve lightly here either. After 10 years of near stagnation it's time.

I know Sony has/had an OLED that was for some tiny professional niche a while back, but it really seems like there would be demand for this technology in some other high margin desktop use scenario.

I didn't mention phones because I care just enough to read up a bit every two years to pick out what I'm going to buy.

I have money LG! Convince me!

the problem is your average consumer believes led monitor rules all , because of the LED sale logo , not understanding that the picture has gotten frantically destroyed. How can oled be born if plasma just died to a way inferior product with a inferior picture ?

I doubt anyone seriously believes that...

another issue is that your slightly-knowledgable consumer believes that OLED are "oversaturated" and that that is a bad thing.

the problem is your average consumer believes led monitor rules all , because of the LED sale logo , not understanding that the picture has gotten frantically destroyed. How can oled be born if plasma just died to a way inferior product with a inferior picture ?

I don't really think that's true. Money talks. LED TV's are just cheaper, and people want cheap.

Your slightly-knowledgable consumer doesn't know about oled but does know the difference between a lcd and led , Again plasma being a product that a knowledgable tv enthusist knows is better but still a technology better product being phased out

The nail in plasmas coffin was 4k, not led per se. There is no economical way to produce a 4k plasma display.

If only LED was actually LED, and not LED-backlit LCD, heh.

Actually its $60,000 at $0.01 per LED. They said it used 2M of each color (RGB) so 6,000,000*0.01 ;) It's still absolutely ludicrous either way.

I'll buy one the instant one is affordable. I don't care if it only lasts one or two years or is prone to burn-in.

I was calculating for 4k.

LEDs wouldn't burn in and they'd last for a long time. I'm also unaware of any major issues with color degradation with LEDs.

For OLEDs, I wonder what it'd cause if they just supplied 2 blue sub-pixels per pixel? Then alternate the usage so that you essentially get twice the blue life.

I was calculating for 4k.

For OLEDs, I wonder what it'd cause if they just supplied 2 blue sub-pixels per pixel? Then alternate the usage so that you essentially get twice the blue life.

Samsung is making bigger blue sub-pixels in some of their OLEDs to extend blue life. LG's WOLED looks more promising in this respect - they only use white subpixel diodes with blue/red/green colorfilters - this should make ageing process more uniform.

Samsung is making bigger blue sub-pixels in some of their OLEDs to extend blue life. LG's WOLED looks more promising in this respect - they only use white subpixel diodes with blue/red/green colorfilters - this should make ageing process more uniform.

Doesn't that mean that there will be bleeding?

LGs method is counter intuitive in other ways.
2/3 of the energy used rendering each white sub pixel is not used for light output.
So a waste of energy and the LEDs wear out quicker due to higher power throughput.
And the excess energy will end up heating the LEDs up more, wearing them out even quicker.

Instead of just the blue LEDs wearing out faster, they all do.
This can be achieved much more economically.

LGs method is counter intuitive in other ways.
2/3 of the energy used rendering each white sub pixel is not used for light output.
So a waste of energy and the LEDs wear out quicker due to higher power throughput.
And the excess energy will end up heating the LEDs up more, wearing them out even quicker.

Instead of just the blue LEDs wearing out faster, they all do.
This can be achieved much more economically.

Not to mention the existence of the filters will lessen image quality, and viewing angles compared to true direct emmision.

I prefer samsung's method.

LG's WOLED looks more promising in this respect - they only use white subpixel diodes with blue/red/green colorfilters - this should make ageing process more uniform.

I take it each pixel has 3 white sub-pixels with a colorfilter? Otherwise you end up with an OLED backlight :(

Doesn't that mean that there will be bleeding?

You mean like bleeding from CCFL/LED backlight ? No,there isn't any. The only difference from regular OLED is that red green and blue subpixels are made from white organic diodes with red/gree/blue colorfilters. There is no backlight, subpixels are only switched on and off when needed. All reviews of actual LG WOLED TVs measured near infinite contrast and found no bleeding at all. Colorwise they were also excellent (avforums review)

However looks like what Nenu said about higher power draw is true. I was kind of surpised when I saw 55'' WOLED TV's power consumption values in one of the reviews earlier this year - comparable to regular LED TV and not at all as low as promised.
As for faster ageing, it is the same stuff as with blue diodes? Higher power draw -> higher temperature -> faster degradation?
Nenu, you are kind of ruining my hopes for a reliable WOLED monitor

Oops, soz :p

Yeah, the more power it uses and the less light, the more is converted to heat.
Higher heat = faster wear.

You mean like bleeding from CCFL/LED backlight ? No,there isn't any. The only difference from regular OLED is that red green and blue subpixels are made from white organic diodes with red/gree/blue colorfilters. There is no backlight, subpixels are only switched on and off when needed. All reviews of actual LG WOLED TVs measured near infinite contrast and found no bleeding at all. Colorwise they were also excellent (avforums review)

No, I mean that, for example, when it has to show a fully red image, other colours bleed through because the lighting is white and the colorfilter is not capable of removing 100% of the rest of the spectrum.
The reason I love my Note's sAmoled+ screen is that I can set my eBook reading software to black background with red characters and read all the way through the night without my night vision getting destroyed. I would be very happy if I could finally do the same on computer screens as well. :D

No, I mean that, for example, when it has to show a fully red image, other colours bleed through because the lighting is white and the colorfilter is not capable of removing 100% of the rest of the spectrum.

Looks like they use very effective filters which let through only specific wavelengths. Anyway in the avforums and flatpanelshd reviews they didn't find anything wrong with WOLED colors. I also thought that filters should somehow affect colors, but apparently it is not the case.

There is now one more concern however - dead pixels. I've recently been to four TV shops which showcased curved 55EA980 LG WOLEDs – two of the sets I've seen had like a dozen or more (could't even count) dead white/blue subpixels – only visible on white and blue backgrounds. It's hard to see them from normal viewing distance though, only up close.

The reason I love my Note's sAmoled+ screen is that I can set my eBook reading software to black background with red characters and read all the way through the night without my night vision getting destroyed. I would be very happy if I could finally do the same on computer screens as well. :D

How can people read white/blue/red text on black background is absolutely beyond me – reading hardforum for more than 5 min makes me feel weird - it's like white text is piercing my eyes.

How can people read white/blue/red text on black background is absolutely beyond me – reading hardforum for more than 5 min makes me feel weird - it's like white text is piercing my eyes.

I don't like white on black either, but red on black on sAmoled+ displays (where only the red subpixel is turned on) is incredibly easy on the eyes, especially during the night. :D

I don't like white on black either, but red on black on sAmoled+ displays (where only the red subpixel is turned on) is incredibly easy on the eyes, especially during the night. :D

Interesting, white backgrounds with black text is what kills me. This is one of the few sites on the net that doesn't burn my eyes out. Funny how it is different for everybody.

Similar, I use a black background with white text, monitor on power saving mode.
Far less intense on the eyes for long term viewing.
My eyes are pretty good, I'm keeping them that way!

Protect your eyes from UV if you want them to last.

I wonder if OLED will have flicker or uv/ir emissions worth worrying about?

It will get hot....millions of LED's will get real hot, not light bulb hot but still....they are diodes after all and diodes have P/N junction and as electrons jump those junctions...

Q: A few weeks ago we discussed the possibility of an OLED monitor or OLED laptop. It'll be interested to hear your views on why there isn't such a product on the market yet and when should we expect one?

A: I do not see much (any) upside to the notebook or monitor markets and displays are not being promoted as a differentiator. In the large display category, it is video where OLEDs outshine LCDs, so unless you are addressing cinematic monitors, I don’t think the OLED panel makers will spend much effort until OLED panel costs at these sizes are comparable to or less than LCDs.

An OLED expert doesn't believe OLEDs will hit the computer market until they are as cheap or cheaper than LCDs. Is he an idiot or does he know some OLED weakness that I am unaware of. This is interesting since in an earlier question he complains about Apple dismissing OLEDs and accuses them of only making larger displays without acknowledging the superior capabilities of OLED technology.

Source: http://www.oled-info.com/barry-young-oled-association-gives-us-his-views-oled-market (I can hear the, "Duh's" from here. I check the site out a few times a week.)

Back