future-proof gaming pc for 1280x1024 resolution

harkerscd

n00b
Joined
May 1, 2012
Messages
28
If someone was intent on only using a 19 inch display with 1280x1024 native resolution, wants to play everything completely maxed out, and wants to be future-proof, is it still considered to be overkill for this person to get a 3770k with a gtx 680? I know some people would prefer to get cheaper, lower specs and just upgrade more often. Any suggestions with a future-proof system in mind?
 
The term "Future Proof" is a bit dumb... but I understand what you want.

For pure gaming/surfing/video watching, a 3570K will be exactly as useful as a 3770K. If you run VM's or some serious CAD software, then a 3770K starts to be more useful. So the 3770K is overkill in some situations.

A GTX680 is overkill now, sure, but down the road? who knows. I will say that, especially at your resolution, a 670 should last just as long.

Also there may be some debate regarding the longevity of current 670/680 cards since they are pretty cheaply constructed, but nobody has owned them for 2+ years obviously so its hard to comment on that aspect.
 
You need to explain to this person that we're not in 1997 anymore and that resolution is unacceptable. What a hilarious waste of hardware.
 
That's like saying "I want to future proof myself so I will always be able to drive 65 miles an hour no matter how far in to the future it is, so I think I'll by a Bugatti Veyron SS"
 
You need to explain to this person that we're not in 1997 anymore and that resolution is unacceptable. What a hilarious waste of hardware.

Yeah dude, get a new monitor before you even consider a 680. The human interface (keyboard, mouse, monitor, sound) are equally as important as the hardware IMO.
 
Considering you can pick up one of the 27" Korean built 2560x1440 displays for $300 shipped off eBay, no reason to be using a crappy old 19" 4:3 in this day and age.
 
Silent-circuit-----
But how are those Korean 27" monitors for Game'n ?

I also am upgrade'n my computer to a i5 3570K..Just not sure I want to spend another $800 bucks getting a $300 27" monitor and $500 for the GPU just to have good FPS
 
Pretty solid. There's very slight ghosting, but unless you're coming from a high end CRT it isn't likely to bother you. 6ms is faster than the "gaming" LCDs were a couple years ago, and there's little to no overdrive so you aren't getting weird artifacts and the like. Input lag is a non-issue at less than one frame. If you aren't used to IPS displays the colors will amaze you, it completely destroys TN LCDs. Quality control is not the best in the world, true, but about 90% of people seem to be getting perfect panels, and some people have purchased then had to sell, so you can pick up a confirmed good panel in FS/FT if you're willing to pay a little more to be sure. I have no complaints, I'm sadly just too poor to keep both my LCDs and since no one seems willing to pay what my PX2611w is worth I may have to sell the Shimian.
 
Back
Top