Future Price Cuts?

skitlets

n00b
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
58
As many know, Microcenter has a great deal on the Intel Q9550. I'm thinking of getting one but it might not be put to use for about a month. Are there any planned price cuts on Yorkfields in the near future?
 
The lack of response = not that we know of. I've read mention of a possible cut later this summer, but that's purely rumor.
 
Thanks for the response. I tried going through tech news sites for anything, but nothing confirmed or even speculated about. I'm just going to jump on the q9550. Should last me another 3 years just like this trusty e6600 did.
 
$200 for a deadend cpu is not the best option and the old hardware can sell for the new stuff
 
I'm springing for the Q9550 instead of the i7 for a few reasons.

I don't even need the Q9550 for my computing needs. I play a few non-demanding games. (Fallout 3, DotA, L4D) I'm actually completely satisfied with the E6600 at 3.0ghz currently and for the foreseeable future, as I really don't do anything that requires heavy computing power.
With that said, I am planning on building a backup/media server, and I already have an extra 965 board (Gigabyte 965P-DS3) and ram, so why not spoil myself a little bit and throw this CPU into the server while getting an upgrade. I could buy something like the E5x00 line for ~$60-$70 or I could get the Q9550.

If I were starting a build from scratch, of course I'd take the i7. It's about $100 difference in total for much more processing power. Problem is, I'm not starting from scratch and to go with the i7 would cost me an additional $300+, money I don't need to spend.
 
I'm springing for the Q9550 instead of the i7 for a few reasons.

I don't even need the Q9550 for my computing needs. I play a few non-demanding games. (Fallout 3, DotA, L4D) I'm actually completely satisfied with the E6600 at 3.0ghz currently and for the foreseeable future, as I really don't do anything that requires heavy computing power.
With that said, I am planning on building a backup/media server, and I already have an extra 965 board (Gigabyte 965P-DS3) and ram, so why not spoil myself a little bit and throw this CPU into the server while getting an upgrade. I could buy something like the E5x00 line for ~$60-$70 or I could get the Q9550.

If I were starting a build from scratch, of course I'd take the i7. It's about $100 difference in total for much more processing power. Problem is, I'm not starting from scratch and to go with the i7 would cost me an additional $300+, money I don't need to spend.

That is also the same for me. I already have 8GB DDR2-1066 and a EP45-UD3P that are perfectly capable of lasting a few years or so. The other problem is the fact that my wife would probably kill me if I spent more money on the computer(s)...
 
Back
Top