Votes: 46 30.1%
  • Im going AM2/DDR2 and upgrade when something better comes out

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • Ill wait for something better such as DDR3 and see what AMD has to offer

Votes: 26 17.0%

• Total voters

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
So I have my S939 PC right now and its pretty diesel. It plays pretty much all of my games at nice resolutions w/ eye candy and what not. But then if you think about it, that luminous 'upgrade' option lights up and you start to realize 'should I upgrade or wait'? Im not an intel person so Conroe is pretty much out of the question. Ive always liked AMD so I will continue to stick with them. The question comes: Do you go with AM2/DDR2? Or do you wait a year or so for DDR3 to come out and see what AMD has to offer then? Becuase 1) DDR2 isnt all that flashy as it seems to be (as so Ive heard) and 2) no offense, but AMD's next gen CPUs arent all that great performing compared to Intels. I know AMD will come out with better CPUs as that is what competition is all about. So vote now. Im curious as to what all of you think as I dont know when I should upgrade (definitely not this summer)

I predict my next upgrade will be on a socket that has yet to be announced :)

I will most likely going Conroe for my next build - sometime in the fall. I'm still on Socket A though.

I would rather have my conroe system get old than my 939 system. And by the looks of it, the conroe one will last a lot more.

My rule is basically this:
If somehting comes out that pushes my system har enough to warrant an upgrade I start considering options. As of now I really don't yet feel the need.
I might upgrade to dual core anda better GPU once Crysis comes out, but that's it, and it depends if somthing will bottleneck my system enough to warrant an upgrade.
As for all system overhauls, including Mobos, I save that for once in two years or longer.
So as it seems I have at least 8 more months to stick with my AMD64.

Theres so many options I could have put but I had to limit to the basics. I dont want to upgrade to AM2 becuase its basically pointless at this stage of the game. AM2 offers no beneficial performance boost for what its going to cost me to upgrade a board, RAM and CPU. I just dont see it worth it IMHO. I am always a fan of AMD (so?) and ill stay by their side. I dont see AM2 as a failure (even though it was out before conroe and has lesser performing benchmarks than compared to conroe) I just see it as a first start. Intel already had a year or two to work with DDR and for this generation, they were most definitely ready. AMD had their chance to switch to DDR2 when they went to S939 and they rejected it. As I stated before, I see this as a stepping stone for AMD. Its not a bad start, but it isnt their best. They can do better. Im anxious to see how quad cores will perform :D

thunderstruck! said:
I would rather have my conroe system get old than my 939 system. And by the looks of it, the conroe one will last a lot more.
Your A64 also lasted longer than your p4/athlon XP :rolleyes:
All new equipment will destroy what came before it.

My choice definitely depends on how good those price drops mid-July go. Does anyone know a more solid date on when AMD will be dropping the prices in response to Conroe's imminent arrival?

They haven't come up with what my future PC will be. See my Sig. This one will have to last me at least 2 to 3 years before I'll build another one.

Well I'm not going to upgrade untill I want to and have the money, right now I nether have the want, need or finances to do it right now, I should however have the money early next year to build another rig, however I'll probably wait untill I can't do something I really want to with my rig adequetly as I think I might have better things to spend my extra money on.

you traitors!!

i'll stick with AMD fo life!

its not listed so i voted for the ddr3, but i am going to keep my dual opterons, and down the road just upgrade them to dual core with more ram.

Actually the last option should be DDR3* forgot to put that in there

My PC will last 2-3 years at least.

IMHO, AM2: The price does not outweight the performance gain.

I really don't forsee the need to upgrade right away:

Opteron 148@FX55
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
2x 1GB OCZ Platinum ddr400 dual channel
EVGA 7900GT KO Superclock
2x Seagate 160gb sata

but when I do feel the need I will probably take a hard look at Conroe. I have no particular loyalty to any company but the AM2 just isn't compelling to me..

Remembering AM2 is just the socket, its not the actual chip. Orleans, Windsor, and Manila are the chips.

Darakian said:
I predict my next upgrade will be on a socket that has yet to be announced :)
Yeah same here, the system in my sig has to last about four years....after I spent $3200 on a PC I've been banned from buying any more stuff....else my parents are gonna pull the plug on my college education...:( Now mind you they did agree to this super-expensive PC, on that condition of course....*eats Ramen for a month to get GeForce 8800GTX*

Sovereign said:
Yeah same here, the system in my sig has to last about four years....after I spent $3200 on a PC I've been banned from buying any more stuff....else my parents are gonna pull the plug on my college education...:( Now mind you they did agree to this super-expensive PC, on that condition of course....*eats Ramen for a month to get GeForce 8800GTX*

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do if your a comp enthusiast I always say :D

As for me, with mine, my parents said 'you better not spend your money on computer crap this summer' (as I have 2 jobs) and what do i do? Spend my money on computer stuff :D By the end of the summer ill hope to have an even more awesome comp as Ill be ordering my first NICE monitor, Dell 2407WFP. Already bought a 2nd 79GT, another GB of ballistix, 2x320GB HDD's, a 2nd GPU waterblock, and some various other smaller things.

Don't feel the need for an upgrade right now.

I'll probbly get an A64 X2 3800+, maybe a 4400+ instead, after july 24th price drop, but thats really the only cpu/mb/ram upgrade I am planing for the rest year right now for my current rig(if you haven't guessed I'm using S939 atm).

Really my PC has hit a point where until something comes out that my rig can't handle at the resolution I need it at I will get something better. Except for perhaps my CPU(Rideing on a NewCastle 130nm 3500+), my PC is fairly High-End and I'm quite happy with it atm.

Chilly

provoko said:
Why isn't the cell processor up there? Or quantum computing? Haha.

becuase no companies have expressed full interest in putting the cell to the desktop just yet...hell PS3 hasnt even been released yet. Im sure they want to but....give it 5 years or 10...who knows. As far as quantum computing? make that 15 :p

I generaly just upgrade my Vid card til the rest of my computer becomes so much of a bottleneck that I have to upgrade.. I forsee that I will have my current opy175 setup for at least a year, perhaps 18months.. Then I will buy the best I can afford without regard to blue/green..

While I did choose stay 939, I'll probably end up picking up someone's 939 X2 (while they either go Conroe or AM2). But considering I've barely had my Opty146 since March...eh...it's not necessary.

I said I'd get an X2 when they went under $200...and they soon will be, so we'll see.

I'm personally very torn on what to upgrade too.
I'm still using a AXP 3000+. I have some money coming and am ready to upgrade for sure.
I like 939 as it's a proven badass.
AM2 is meh to me but it looks like it's the only path for upgrade if I stick with AMD since 939 is EOL. Only issue is Epox better have thier 570 SLi board out soon because I refuse to buy Asus anymore (MSI is never even in the running and DFI takes forever to release anything).
The conroe is looking very nice but I'm just not sure about intel overall. I don't know how SLi support will be if any and I hear intel is super picky about DDR2.
The only brand loyalty I have is for nVidia. So AMD brand loyalty isn't an issue.
/sigh
I just don't know! I still have a ton of research to do.

DangerIsGo said:
becuase no companies have expressed full interest in putting the cell to the desktop just yet...hell PS3 hasnt even been released yet. Im sure they want to but....give it 5 years or 10...who knows. As far as quantum computing? make that 15 :p

It was a joke, hehe.

Yeah, its gonna be awhile as I just started my first job out of college and am more concerned with getting my truck running again (curse you blown head gasket!) and getting into a place of my own.

I went AM2 because I was coming from a 478 P4 2.4 and I couldn't justify going 939 when the next new thing was just breaking the market.

I'm hoping that AMD's new series in 2007 is on AM2, otherwise I'll have to rethink my upgrade path.

Well I just finished building my s939 rig, so I think I"ll stay with it for a while :D I kept my s478 (2.4c @ 3.3ghz) for about 2.5 years, I imagine I'll probably use this one for a similar amount of time before the "upgrade bug" becomes unbearable again. At that time, I'll upgrade to whatever is faster/better at the time, be it Intel or AMD. That being said, if I didn't already have my Opty on hand for several months (and if I could have waited even longer,) I probably would have built a Conroe system, but meh, my rig is still faster than my old one, and I like it :)

DangerIsGo said:
Forget 15, no one knows if its even possible to harness the cycles of an atom as a processing unit

My socket 754 3400+ Venice does the job just fine for now. I'll move to a dual core AMD if it ever becomes worth it for gaming performance. I don't see anything on the map with a big enough change to be worth it (conroe is interesting, but I've never bought an Intel yet...)

Back