Future Mobile Technology

cheeta05r

Gawd
CPUs
AMD Athlon 64 Mobile (Oakville) is the 90nm successor to the Mobile Clawhammer core, and was released on August 17th. The new AMD part is around half the size (84mm2 versus 145mm2) of its 130nm counterpart and consumes around half the power (35W versus 62W). The initial versions of Oakville are low powered with relatively low clock speeds and are intended for the Notebook market. Dual core mobile chips? Mike's Hardware

Intel Pentium-M (Dothan) mobile CPUs were released on May 10th. The Dothan core is the 0.09 micron successor to Banias. The initial members of the Dothan family are the 735 (1.7Ghz), 745 (1.8Ghz) and 755 (2Ghz). All three members of the Dothan family clock down to 600Mhz when using battery. Dothan contains 140 million transistors with 64Kb L1 and 2Mb L2 cache and features a 400Mhz FSB speed. Like Banias, Dothan will use Intel's Odem and Montara (855 series) chipsets.
chipset: Intel Alviso-GM chipset for Dothan is expected to be released in H2 2004 and will be part of the Sonoma Mobile Internet PC 2004 platform. Alviso GM is the successor to the i855GME and is expected to feature support for Dual Channel DDR2, a 533Mhz FSB speed and PCI Express (for attaching PCI Express graphics cards such as ATI's AXIOM and nVidia's MXM removable mobile cards). The ICH6-M South Bridge will feature support for SATA150, 802.11G, improved Bluetooth support and Azalia 7.1 audio.Mike's Hardware

SATA-II
SATA-II has the abiltiy to be run externally. Although, you may see some current SATA products running externally it is not officially part of the spec. I belive there were some interferance kinks that needed to be worked out.
SATA Official Website
Xbit Labs: IDF Day 2

Serial Attached SCSI SAS
SATA Compatibility: One of the most revolutionary of all the additions being offered by Serial Attached SCSI is the announcement that the SAS connector will be form-factor compatible with SATA. SATA drives will plug directly into Serial Attached SCSI connectors and if supported in the system, will transparently operate as SATA device. This allows systems to be deployed that can use either Serial Attached SCSI drives, for their high performance and high availability characteristics, or SATA drives that will provide a lower-cost-per-megabyte storage platform.
SCSI Trade Association Official Website
Computer Access Technology Corporation - SAS

Seagate Savvio
Combining savvy technology with fast I/O performance, Savvio is the new 2.5-inch enterprise disc drive from Seagate, the leader in enterprise storage. These new drives can be attached with SAS.
Seagate Savvio Official Website

Savvio ST973401LC
Capacity:73 GB
Speed:10000 rpm
Seek time:4.1 ms avg
Interface:Ultra320 SCSI

WiMax:
Intel is moving closer towards launching its WiMAX chip, as it has begun sampling the chip to "strategic partners" with an eye towards launch next year. Based on the IEEE 802.16 wireless broadband standard, WiMAX has been touted as a high-speed, wireless broadband solution for both rural and urban markets. Trial deployments are slated to begin sometime in 2005, provided the 700MHz spectrum WiMAX plans to use is "cleaned up" and made available. Arstechnica

Dolby Headphone
Dolby Headphone technology allows users to listen to music, watch movies, or play video games with the dramatic surround effects of a 5.1-channel soundtrack through any set of headphones.
Dolby Headphone Official Website

nVidia MXM PCI-Express Graphics
MXM (Mobile PCI Express Module), the result of a joint design effort between NVIDIA and the industry’s leading notebook manufacturers, provides a consistent interface for mobile PCI Express graphics in order to achieve:
-Faster time to market for the latest notebook graphics
-Multiple system configurations and price points from a single system design
-Compatibility for any graphics solution from any vendor
-Configure-to-order upgradeable graphics through notebook manufacturers, or potentially by consumers
- nVidia MXM
- Hard|OCP: nVida MXM
- Xbit Labs: IDF Day 1

Other Technologies
  • I am not sure if there is a new PCI Express spec out for the old PCMIA standard. It would be nice to have expansion cards running PCI-Express.
  • Wireless USB is something Intel is working on and should provide faster transfers than Bluetooth.
  • Besides that I guess we can hope for more secure Bluetooth Technolgy. USB 2.0, 1394b (3.2 Gigabits/second), and Gigabit Ethernet should be available on chipsets.

Comments? :D

I pray for wireless USB on a daily basis...

As for WiMax... I have some issues that have yet to be explained.

Intel appears to intend to push Pentium M + chipset + WiFi + WiMax as the new Centrino package. As far as I know, WiMax is not a replacement for WiFi, so both will be required for true mobility in any situation.

WiMax has roughly a 30 mile range, something like a 1watt amp built in, etc. How are they going to have this built in? odds are two chips on a single card, but that is a lot of transmission power to give to the general public when a good portion of WiMax will be on licensed spectrums. Licensed spectrum means Joe Blow cannot just turn on his 802.16 card in his laptop to 2.545GHz and get on the net, he'll have to have an ISP and cannot fiddle around with the frequency range on his own because he'll be breaking Federal law.

It may be something that can only be turned on by the ISP via some firmware option, but I really would hate to get into modifying customers laptops here in the next year or so to enable their wireless broadband connection. I'd sell them a card or USB device preconfigured.

There is one notebook out there currently with the AMD 64 Mobile, I believe.. It's the Acer Ferrari

Definitely Encouraging, if AMD could just get a freakin Notebook proc that didn't eat through batteries like a Desktop I'd be more than happy going with an AMD 64 solution. Until then, It's Intel only for my notebooks.

i have an enginearing sample lappy from an unamed HK vendor
(picked it up during a buisnes deal in HK in feb)

it has a 14.1" Sxga screen
radeon 9600 128mb
xp-m 2500 (25watt)
dvd-r 2x drive
and an 8 hour bat life
40gb 4200rpm hd
while weighing 5.9lb

it does this by doing 2 things
first when set to max bat the CPU is throteled down to 100mhz fsb
and 500mhz core
and it uses 2gb of mem with a 1gb ram drive

also it has a 78W/H Lith-ION bath
i dont get to use it much
because the only thing that runs on it is turbo linux due to lack of windows drivers

Mr_Evil said:
Definitely Encouraging, if AMD could just get a freakin Notebook proc that didn't eat through batteries like a Desktop I'd be more than happy going with an AMD 64 solution. Until then, It's Intel only for my notebooks.
All depends on what chip you get. I'll be waiting for those AMD Athlon 64 Mobile (Oakville) 90nm chips that use 35W, and offer better performance.

Athlon 64 Mobile Desktop Replacement DTR 81.5W
3700+ 2.4 GHz
3400+ 2.2 GHz
3200+ 2.0 GHz
3000+ 1.8 GHz

Athlon 64 Mobile 62W
3400+ 2.2 GHz
3200+ 2.0 GHz
3000+ 1.8 GHz
2800+ 1.6 GHz

Athlon 64 Mobile 35W
2800+ 1.8 GHz
2700+ 1.6 GHz

AMDboard.com
AMD

0ldman said:
It may be something that can only be turned on by the ISP via some firmware option, but I really would hate to get into modifying customers laptops here in the next year or so to enable their wireless broadband connection. I'd sell them a card or USB device preconfigured.
I wonder how much WiMax service is going to cost. Verizon's Unlimited NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess is $79.99 a month currently. Link

cheeta05r said:
Seagate Savvio
Combining savvy technology with fast I/O performance, Savvio is the new 2.5-inch enterprise disc drive from Seagate, the leader in enterprise storage. These new drives can be attached with SAS.
Seagate Savvio Official Website

Savvio ST973401LC
Capacity:73 GB
Speed:10000 rpm
Seek time:4.1 ms avg
Interface:Ultra320 SCSI

nVidia MXM PCI-Express Graphics
MXM (Mobile PCI Express Module), the result of a joint design effort between NVIDIA and the industry’s leading notebook manufacturers, provides a consistent interface for mobile PCI Express graphics in order to achieve:
-Faster time to market for the latest notebook graphics
-Multiple system configurations and price points from a single system design
-Compatibility for any graphics solution from any vendor
-Configure-to-order upgradeable graphics through notebook manufacturers, or potentially by consumers
- nVidia MXM
- Hard|OCP: nVida MXM
- Xbit Labs: IDF Day 1

These Two are the ones that got my attention :D

I knew about nvidia's MXM but didnt know about seagate HD
that thing will be sweet

really excited about hte new intel chipset, and MXM... i hope its here before xmas, thats probably about when im gonna get my new notebook. i hope those two things will have made it into asus barebones around december-january. that seagate drive looks awesome too, but 7200rpm drives are good for now :)

of couse if amd can get the size and battery usage of the high end processors down id jump all over that, i prefer amd over intel, but in the mobile arena, intel just owns

Aztlan said:
I knew about nvidia's MXM but didnt know about seagate HD
that thing will be sweet
The Seagate hard drive isn't exaclty a mobile drive, but I'm wishing it will someday end up in the mobile market. The one thing that we do need to look at is the power consumption if we really want to consider this for everyday notebook computers.

Seagate Savvio 10k rpm 8W seek power consumption
Momentus 5400 rpm 2.4W seek power consumption
The Momentus is a regular Seagate notebook drive, so the Savvio definetly consumes more power, however its also spinning at 10k rpm. So I would like to see it in notebooks dispite its higher power consumption.

Mr_Evil said:

I think its a misconseption that AMD Athlon 64 mobile processors will drain your battery. I have read a few reviews and never got this impression. I would agree that I would like to see AMD's higher performance parts come down in wattage, which is currently happening with the die shrink to 90nm. If you compare Athlong 64s to to P4s, AMD wins on power consumption (that is based lined off of comparing AMD's PR rating to Intel's GHz, obviously there is some error in this method, but I don't find it too be unreasonable). Comparing Athlon 64s to Pentium Ms is a little harder, because I don't have any idea where they match up performance wise. The new .09nm Pentium Ms use 21W tops, the lowest rated Athlong 64 is the 2800+ 1.8 GHz at 35W. I have heard good and bad things about how powerful Pentium Ms are. Some people want more, other people are fine. If anyone knows of any reviews, it would be neat to see how the competition really stacks up.

I am going off of the "Thermal Guideline" found on Intel's spec sheets. If this this isn't a good way to determine power consumption feel free to correct me.

Intel Pentium 4
3.20GHz 90nm 88.0W
2.80GHz 90nm 88.0W
3.20GHz 130nm 76.0W
2.40GHz 130nm 59.8W
All of the Pentium 4 chips will fall somewhere between these chips.

Intel Pentium 4 -M
2.50GHz 130nm 35W fastest frequency P4 mobile
1.10GHz 130nm 22W slowest frequency P4 mobile
All of the Pentium 4 -M chips will fall somewhere between these two chips.

Intel Pentium M
2.00GHz 90nm 21.0W
1.10 GHz 90nm 5.0W
1.70GHz 130nm 24.5W
900.00MHz 130nm 7W
All of the Pentium M chips will fall somewhere between these chips.

What kind of bandwidth are we talking about with WiMax? Will it rival cable speeds? Currently, I'm getting around 2.2Mbits/sec.

I did a bit of searching the net, and all I can find are availability radius, integration, and total bandwidth offered...but still nothing about what the end consumer will probably get.

At the outer limits of the range, it is suppose to drop of to a paltry 17mbit...
:eek:

That is using several channels, in all likelyhood, the ISP is going to offer the lowest cost structure for the system, 1 or 2 channels per customer, I'm not sure if it can run on a single channel or if it requires a second for two way communication. That should come in around 3mb according to my reading.

Cheeta05r: From what M68xx users have said regarding their battery life. The mobile AMD 64 gets about the same battery life as my Inspiron 8200 with a P4-M. That equates to about 2 hours. Pentium M notebooks can go 4-6 hours on battery depending on the notebook's screen size and battery configuration. 2 hours is not long enough for me.

yeah i actually get 2.5 hours out of mine, they should have put a better battery with it but oh well, amd will have there time coming up with thier mobile 64 bit lappies. Right now though it all depends on what you want to use your laptop for.

Back