future lcd technology??

petesmc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 11, 2002
Messages
291
What is the future flat screen technology called. The ones that are brighter than LCD, i think it's Oxx or something. They already use them in some cell phones i think.
 
I don't think OLED has much of a future for large consumer displays like monitors and televisions, I think it's more suited for portable devices.

SED is the technology you should be paying close attention to in my humble opinion. :)
 
ValeX said:
Yea, SED is where it's at. I'm not humble about it either, OLED just isn't going to blow up since it requires a lot of R + D yet, where-as SED's tech is mostly in place (CRT's) they just need to put it into practice.

SED needs to hurry the fuck up. I love my 24" CRT, but the thing bends my desk, and is a pain in the ass to move. I want my 30" SED 2560*1600 display @ 5" thick.
 
SED seems more likely to materialize in the near-term than OLED does.

In the long term though OLED has the potential to dominate ALL markets from portable phones to large screen TVs. Since SED can't scale down to the size/weight that is required in laptops but OLED can scale up to the 50"+ level where SED will debut. Which does give the potential for a tremendous volume of production similar to what LCDs enjoy today.
 
OLED and SED? We are still waiting to see LCD's with LED backlights to show up.

You know what I'm talking about, like a low resolution display made of LED's that sits behind the LCD, so you can get insane contrast ratio's (albet with a slight bit of light leakage in certain situations.
 
SED is definitely not coming till 2008 and that is only in high end (expensive) 50" TVs. I don't think we will see SED computer monitors before 2010, maybe never as they will not be nearly as cheap to make as OLED, and LED lit LCD etc...

IMO it will be SED for high end TV and it will be OLED for computer monitors. OLED has many of the same advantages as SED for computer monitors.
 
60 000/8 hrs day/365 days per year = 20 years. This is a problem?

The numbers I heard were 20 to 40 thousand hours, but that is fine by me. OLED should be very inexpensive to make. Not to mention this is comparable to the life of you backlight in your LCD.

You won't see SED monitor for the same reason you don't see Plasma monitors. It will be hugely expensive for a long time, won't scale down to monitor size. And as completely new tech, it may have a bunch of issues we don't know about yet.

I don't know where people get that SED has a LEG up on OLED. You can buy small OLEDs from a number of manufacturers today. There are no SEDs for sale at all, there will be no SEDs for sale next year either.

SED is entirely new technology that might even price itself out of the market forever. There is only one group making SED. Only one factory.

OLED can make use of LCD technology for the driver circuitry and glass panels. Multiple manufacturers are in the game.
 
Snowdog said:
You won't see SED monitor for the same reason you don't see Plasma monitors. It will be hugely expensive for a long time, won't scale down to monitor size. And as completely new tech, it may have a bunch of issues we don't know about yet.
While most of your post(s) were fairly informative, i'm going to have to single out this statement right here. Mostly since information i've read elsewhere contradicts it, then again it may have all been marketing fluff ;)

I'm all for cutting edge and affordable displays btw, whether it be OLED or SED, the future looks good as far as i'm concerned :cool:
 
SJetski71 said:
While most of your post(s) were fairly informative, i'm going to have to single out this statement right here. Mostly since information i've read elsewhere contradicts it, then again it may have all been marketing fluff ;)

I'm all for cutting edge and affordable displays btw, whether it be OLED or SED, the future looks good as far as i'm concerned :cool:

What did you read? I am always eager for info on new displayes, but I haven't read one thing that indicates it will be anything other than expensive, and haven't read that they have any intention at all of doing smaller screens such as computer monitors. They only seem interested in competing with high end plasma from what I can glean.

It is my speculation that chances are we will never see computer monitors based on SED. In that competetive space I imagine OLED will share many of the advantages and cost much less than half the cost. Would many people pay 4 times the price of OLED for a SED monitor?
 
didn't they recently showcase the SED technology at some Con? I believe the screens were 30". The way things are getting with monitors, that doesn't seem *too* far off from a conventional monitor size, especially in 5 years. That is if we keep thinking Bigger is Better. I also heard quite a different story about SEDs, in that they are going to be relatively cheap to make, as they can mass manufactor the sheets or whatever. Only thing I can think about of why it would be expensive is, since there is only one/two companies working on it, they will have too boost their prices to compensate for inital lose in the making of the technology. However, that should scale down somewhat quickly to regular consumer prices.

http://www.canon.com/technology/display/

With the application of inkjet printing technology to develop a high-performance electron emitter and a screen-printing method to produce matrix wiring, we are improving production technologies to manufacture large-screen panels at low cost.
 
I have my SED cost doubts because in 2005, they said they were starting in 2006, then in early 2006 they said 2007, then later they said 2008... The latest reason for delay is cost. They can't produce them cheap enough to compete. And it is a given they were going to charge a premium over plasma. Always next year shipping indicates a lot of issues ramping production. Does not lead to cheap. Also I can't see two glass substrates (presumably with vacuum between), phospor coatings and individual electron emitters per sub pixel being a cheap affair. Compare with OLED that needs one substrate and is litterally painted on and fired up.

Latest SED delay till 2008:
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=181502058

As to my speculation on scaling issues. The SED on Display at CES this year was 42" and 720p. Realize there is a lot of complexity in having an individual electron emitter for each sub-pixel. Production SED that is coming(?) in 2008 is 55" 1080p. Expect cost to be at least equal if not greater than a quality 55" 1080p plasma.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/08/sed-up-close-and-personal/

There will be considerable engineering everytime they try to change the size of electron emitters. I expect to expend more efforte making a bigger set rather than do the much more difficult shrink to small pixels for a desktop display.

I would be willing to bet that you wont see a SED desktop monitor in the next 5 years. Judging by the realistic issues I see, and the competetive landscape. Oled can easily adapt to a multitude of pixel sizes without extensive engineering and will always be cheaper to manufacture.

By 2010, OLED will be the hottest thing in desktops, SED will be the hottest thing in premium Home theater screens.

I really like SED, and I figure I will own a SED HT screen by 2010, but realistically I don't I will ever own a SED desktop display. Not in the forseable future anyway (next 5 years). Guessing beyond 5 years is just that, guessing, because there is always some other tech waiting in the wings that could blow the pricing equation out of the water:
http://www.ifire.com/NewsCentre/iFireintheNewsDetails.aspx?id=75

A lot of this is my speculation, but it is based on my work in the technology industry and 15+ years as a tech watcher. I get a pretty good feel for this stuff after a while. Plus I don't seem to be as prone to wishfull thinking as some. I want a SED desktop monitor, but that won't make it happen. When I examine the available information, I believe it won't likely happen, so I am just hoping to get LED Lit-LCD, or OLED sooner rather than later. Not that I prefer them, just that I think they have a greater likelyhood of hitting the market before I turn grey.
 
Back
Top