Future for IT pros?

Exactly. I'm a great server and network guy, but I'll never be a programmer.
I can write some pretty advanced scripts (some are more than 1500 lines of code) but they are still scripts.

IMHO, as long as there are end users, I will have a job. I never know what will happen in a given day.
I do primarily desktop support, some server support, printers/copiers, phone system, network infrastructure. Install and maintain a whole list of software applications throughout the company.
No programming thankfully!

Basic programming skills come in very handy when it comes to migrating data between systems and doing backend integration. I'd recommend basic scripting / text manipulation experience, as well as moderate experience programming against both an RDBMS like MySQL / sqlite and also LDAP.

I was thinking of switching majors to go into C.S., but I'm not very good with math. Can anybody provide some feedback, or possibly just reassure me that I've made the right career choice?
Thanks

I'm biased, but I think that's the correct move to make. I have a B.S. in computer engineering ... and out of my 5 calculus classes, 2 of them were Bs, 3 were Cs .. and 2 of those Cs were after a drop from the previous semester lol. Although, it had no impact on getting several great offers before I even graduated college because most students dropout so there's less competition.

IMO, the way to do it right is to major in CE or CS and do your summer internships in IT. Having both skill sets is so rare that you become known as a swiss army knife. 75% of my job today is architecting/engineering a very advanced global network and then 25% is advanced coding.

It doesn't mean you can't succeed as is, either ... a lot of people on here don't even have or need a college degree and are extremely successful. You have to make that call. For what it's worth, I was uncertain on what type of career I wanted from age 19-21 so I know the feeling.

There will always be demand for IT; it is just that its nature will change.

Acquire marketable skills which can help you solve people's problem and move up the value chain. See what your boss does right and wrong. See which managers are good and who are not too good.

Keep your skill currents and spend time not only on the nitty-gritty but also in learning how decisions are made at a higher level. If you can think and talk like your boss, it will be easier to become one.

Back