• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

future for i7 920/x58

vertigomhs

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
1,231
so i was wondering what's the future for x58? will it be the main chipset for i7 for a good while? any other chipsets coming in the future?

also is the 920 a good buy as of now? i know the 920 is getting the axe sooner or later, but i heard its getting replaced by a high end lynnfield, which would be less performance (at the same price point) than the 920 correct?
 
So far, it seems pretty future-proof in my opinion... by the end of the year Asus will release their USB 3.0 ready mobo, the P6X58 premium... and later Intel will release their 6 core i7s... so I say the chipset is looking pretty good for the long haul =)
 
As much as I've read for today: X58 going to be only XE CPUs privilege. It means that as soon as P57 chipset gets released (by the end of this year) - all current 920, 940, 950 will be retired and fully replaced by Core i5 equivalents with the following namig:
i7 1366: 9xx;
i7 1156: 8xx;
i5 1156: 6xx.
Of course, things can change until then.
 
920 will remain for sale until at least Q3 2010 according to the recent roadmap leak:

Untitled.jpg


It also looks like those expecting reasonably priced 6 core Gulftowns are going to have to wait longer than they thought...
 
Welp, I think I'll be onboard for a P57 board. USB3, ICH11R, no legacy. Maybe then sleep might actually function correctly. Then I might as well get a 32nm i7, by then my Vertex's will be obsolete, along with my 2 GTX285's. Hmmmmm.
 
I think by the time the LGA1156 chipsets start coming out I'm going to pick up an X58 board and current gen i7. Hopefully they should be fairly cheap by then, and an i7 920 should hold its own for quite some time, even more so if intel doesn't kill off 1366/x58 compatibility so there will be future possible cpu upgrades.
 
heres my question: the p55/57 only has enough for 16 lanes i gather. will the nf200 be compatible with these boards(for the extra pcie lands)?
 
heres my question: the p55/57 only has enough for 16 lanes i gather. will the nf200 be compatible with these boards(for the extra pcie lands)?

I believe no. I think they will keep the multi GPU solution for their most expensive boards, while the "masses" will be 1 x16 or maybe 2x8 lines. But I doubt there will be chance for SLI/Xfire with PhysX. After all, that's the selling point of the x-58. And if the cheaper boards had same features as more expensive ones, noone would buy x-58 :)
 
I believe no. I think they will keep the multi GPU solution for their most expensive boards, while the "masses" will be 1 x16 or maybe 2x8 lines. But I doubt there will be chance for SLI/Xfire with PhysX. After all, that's the selling point of the x-58. And if the cheaper boards had same features as more expensive ones, noone would buy x-58 :)

I wouldn't bet against it happening honestly. The feature set of 1366 is sufficiently different(qpi/triple channel) from 1156 I think. In any case I believe, unless they are fundamentally incompatible, it is up to the board makers.
 
the board makers could impliment an nf200 chip, but it only lets the 2 GPUs communicate faster, its still 2.0 x16 to the chipset/CPU/memory/etc.
 
Back
Top