Future Build Question about RAM and Zen

Pwoz

[H]Lite
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
74
I have an older PC right now (3570k) that I'm looking to upgrade in the near future. I won't need any upgrades until late this year or early next year.

I was planning to wait for the next generation of Zen before upgrading, but it also looks like RAM prices are increasing and from what I read are forecast to keep increasing through the year. Is it safe to buy RAM now assuming it would be compatible with Ryzen 4XXX CPUs or is that taking too much of a risk?
 

thesmokingman

[H]ardness Supreme
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
5,713
Late this year or next... that is possibly getting close to DDR5 timeline which is late 2020. SK Hynix estimates that by 2021 DDR5 adoption will be at 40%. If you are going to wait that long, given this info I see no point in buying anything till then. Wait and see where things end up.
 

ThatITGuy

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 5, 2017
Messages
348
I am in the same situation. Sadly, we are stuck waiting. You CAN go ahead and buy the case and power supply. Even if the first Zen3 motherboards ship with DDR4, there is no information out on what the memory requirements are. I will be waiting for Zen3 + DDR5 regardless, at this point.
 

kamikazi

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
482
Screw waiting. Zen 2 is my first DDR4 platform. When you need your machine, buy it then and get what you need then. There's always something new coming around the corner.

Later DDR5 will be much faster than early DDR5 anyway.
 

Mega6

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 13, 2017
Messages
2,745
Why are you asking now? Just wait until zen3 and make the call with the ram pricing then.
 

runs2far

Gawd
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
904
Sit back and wait, there is no point in buying based on speculation for how things might look months into the future.
 
Top