Fustrated with Ati & Gamma control

Dekar12

Gawd
Am I the only one that has major issues with Ati's gamma/brightness controls when trying to play games?

I have tried, 3.9, 3.10, 4.1 (diablo2 crashes), 4.2 and yet everytime I try and play games its like I didn't even set any gamma/brightness in the control panel.

I really wouldn't mind except the games are pitch black. Hell even the 3dmark's are pitch black.

Is there any way around this besides going back to nvidia?

Yes, I have both the desktop and 3d color profiles set. My desktop looks fine but any game I play is pitch black.

I can assure you ati cards are not that way I have a 9800pro and it displays everything correctly. I would remove the drivers correctly and then reinstall the drivers. If that doesnt work I would re-install windows. If it still does that then your card is prob messed up and I would exchange it.

I removed the drivers in the add/remove applet in the control panel before switching to new drivers.

Also, 3.10 and 4.2 were on fresh installs with the computer in my sig.

Is there something else that I need to be removing that the add/remove programs applet doesnt do?

Mine does the same thing. At first I thought it was my 8500DV but when I hooked it up to my roomate's new Viewsonic or any of the monitors at work it ran fine. Are you sure it's not your monitor? I feel your pain man. All of my fullscreen 3D apps are the same way. It even shows jpgs dark too.

gah

I will try to find a working monitor around here and see if there is a difference.

What really gets me, is that I can start a game of cs by like hosting a game myself and the gamma is perfect.

But, if I join a game the little 'Loading..' shows up bright and then bang it turns dark and from there in out its really really dark.

/sigh

Just download Powerstrip and then you'll have hotkeys for gamma etc that actually work perfectly. Plus you can overclock with it and lock refresh rates etc. Really a useful tool.

The Cat 4.2's have broken gamma btw. So use 4.1 or earlier.

Yea, I have the same problem with the gamma on the 9800 Pro... Already exchanged once so it's not the card.. Probably just the 4.2 drivers as the guy above stated.

I set the 3d gamma to about 1.45 in the control panel (Omega 4.2's) and have had 0 gamma problems.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Back