Fusion-io 160gb SLC Benchmarks

gjs278

Gawd
The dream is complete, I finally came across a fusion-io slc card.

Last edited:
Hmmm, if you RAID 0 a pair of 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs, you can approximately meet those specs in everything except 4KQD1 reads:

http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=762&pagenumber=8

32.PNG

Hmmm, if you RAID 0 a pair of 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs, you can meet or exceed those specs in everything except 4KQD1 reads.

In real World usage (the 4K reads), a Fusion IO will blow 840 Pro out of the water. The controller is much, much, much superior. So is the flash and the quality of the flash used. So is the BBU on the Fusion IO. It's faster, and much more, much more reliable. There's no comparison. It's a top of the line enterprise drive made to replace a giant rack full of 100-200 HDD's in IOPS. It puts out much more IOPS than the Samsung drive. The 840 Pro, on the other hand, is no more than your off the shelf high end SSD.

And you also have to keep in mind that that RWLabs (man how do I hate shitty little review sites) bench is done on an empty, zeroed up, boosted up drive. It screams BIAS all over.

Hmmm, if you RAID 0 a pair of 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs, you can approximately meet those specs in everything except 4KQD1 reads:

http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=762&pagenumber=8

32.PNG

Great scaling due to write caching and well more than double the score of a single drive. 4K reads are class leading and access times are correct.

I don't think those 4k qd1 write numbers are correct, at least not if that's what http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_840_pro_ssd_benchmark_review_test,14.html reports. 4k1 can't scale across raid, so it wouldn't matter that it was raided.

I think http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/10/samsung_840_pro_ssd_review/9 is about as accurate as we can get for 4k1, which is still damn good.

I don't think those 4k qd1 write numbers are correct.

And you're right, the RWLabs review is all about SHILLING the drive. RWLabs is the last site you should get your SSD info from. When their reviewer reviewed the S301, he turned off the SandForce compression on purpose, and wrote in the review that it was the SLC flash that boosted up the drive's incompressable data performance. That site is full of shit.

I don't think those 4k qd1 write numbers are correct, at least not if that's what http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_840_pro_ssd_benchmark_review_test,14.html reports. 4k1 can't scale across raid, so it wouldn't matter that it was raided.

I think http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/10/samsung_840_pro_ssd_review/9 is about as accurate as we can get for 4k1, which is still damn good.

It is probably due to write caching. But as you say, even a single 840 Pro will approximately match the 4KQD1 write numbers of the FusionIO in your OP.

So, the fusionIO 4KQD1 read speed is impressive, but a pair of 840 Pros is mostly equivalent in the other specifications. Which is what I wrote in my previous post.

It is probably due to write caching. But as you say, even a single 840 Pro will approximately match the 4KQD1 write numbers of the FusionIO in your OP.

So, the fusionIO 4KQD1 read speed is impressive, but a pair of 840 Pros is mostly equivalent in the other specifications. Which is what I wrote in my previous post.

What's your point? I'd never turn write caching on on a drive with NO power back-up period. It means no safe writing and lose of data in a power loss.

No data center would, either. Data centers that care about their data turn write caching off, and drive the SSD that way, that is IF the SSD has no BBU, like the 840 Pro or any other consumer SSD EXCEPT for the Intel 320 and the Comay Venus Pro.

The Fusion IO, on the other hand, has Tantalum capacitors for power back-up.

It is a way of saying that the answer to the question has been stated twice in this thread already, and yet you have somehow missed it.

I didn't miss anything.

The answer to what question? That the image you posted is taken from a BIAS bench?

Why do you have to be so pompous in every single post?

why do you care about random 4kb reads so much?

In real World usage (the 4K reads), a Fusion IO will blow 840 Pro out of the water. The controller is much, much, much superior. So is the flash and the quality of the flash used. So is the BBU on the Fusion IO. It's faster, and much more, much more reliable. There's no comparison. It's a top of the line enterprise drive made to replace a giant rack full of 100-200 HDD's in IOPS. It puts out much more IOPS than the Samsung drive. The 840 Pro, on the other hand, is no more than your off the shelf high end SSD.

And you also have to keep in mind that that RWLabs (man how do I hate shitty little review sites) bench is done on an empty, zeroed up, boosted up drive. It screams BIAS all over.

why do you care about random 4kb reads so much?

that is generally what your OS is loading. you don't sequentially read all that often. there are programs you can run that monitor your usage and let you know how often you load a 4k file and what queue depth you reach to get an idea of what you're using.

I'd love me one of them for mysql :D

You'd be extremely hard pressed to find one at any sensible price, let alone find ONE on eBay at all.

A pair of these would be THE shit though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OCZ-Deneva-...?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item3ccdb63dac

Enterprise specific SF-2581 controller which goes through a TON of more rigorous testing to make sure it's bug-free. Faster than any consumer SSD on the market, and much more reliable with the enterprise controller, firmware and Tantalum caps for power back-up.

$200 for 100GB is a bit ludacris, however, if you're looking for a server/datacenter SSD, then this is what you should be looking for.

I got a RAID array of a pair of Deneva R2 SLC's, and they're "the" shit indeed. While I was testing single drive on ATTO, I've once seen 600 MB/s read... :D

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
840 pro is the newest and best ssd, and that fusion io card is old. And it still does 4k read 2x faster

840 pro is the newest and best ssd, and that fusion io card is old. And it still does 4k read 2x faster

840 Pro is nothing more than a high end builder SSD.

I think some of you folks really don't get what a Fusion IO is. It's an enterprise drive made to reply to thousands of input/outputs consequently in IBM servers... it, in no way, shape or form, compares to your everyday SSD. Period.

Look up on "ZeusIOPS" to get some idea. These things cost thousands of dollars because they're TRUE Single Level Cell, unlike convertional 2'5 inch SLC drives. There's only a single cell AND a SINGLE STATE on the Fusion IO. Convertional SLC SSD's are single cell, DOUBLE STATE. MLC is, dual cell, QUADRUPLE state. That's why it performs THAT well and shits all over the 840 Pro in 4k reads.

Last edited:
Another enterprise SLC SSD for comparison. It was being slightly used at the time I ran the benchmark, but I couldn't be bothered to close Steam.

as-ssd-bench%20HITACHI%20HUSSL402%201.18.2013%209-52-30%20AM.png

There's only a single cell AND a SINGLE STATE on the Fusion IO. Convertional SLC SSD's are single cell, DOUBLE STATE. MLC is, dual cell, QUADRUPLE state.

Nonsense. I'm not sure if you make this stuff up for fun, or if you are just unable to understand how flash memory works.

SLC flash stores a single bit per cell, and a bit has two states (0 or 1). MLC flash stores two bits per cell, and therefore has four possible states: 00, 01, 10, 11. TLC flash stores three bits per cell, and has eight possible states.

Nonsense. I'm not sure if you make this stuff up for fun, or if you are just unable to understand how flash memory works.

SLC flash stores a single bit per cell, and a bit has two states (0 or 1). MLC flash stores two bits per cell, and therefore has four possible states: 00, 01, 10, 11. TLC flash stores three bits per cell, and has eight possible states.

The ZeusIOPS does not use convertional SLC.

As for the rest of your post, you repeated everything I said...

do you even know what a ZeusIOPS is?

As for the rest of your post, you repeated everything I said...

You're hilarious. What you wrote is utter nonsense.

A single-state storage cell? Yeah, it is really useful to store nothing but zeros. You could just sell an empty box as a single-state storage cell. Want to buy a box of a trillion zeros? 1TB, only $1.

You could sell that along with some write-only memory (WOM).

You're hilarious. What you wrote is utter nonsense.

A single-state storage cell? Yeah, it is really useful to store nothing but zeros. You could just sell an empty box as a single-state storage cell. Want to buy a box of a trillion zeros? 1TB, only $1.

You could sell that along with some write-only memory (WOM).

I suggest you to do some research on "ZeusIOPS".

Last edited:
You're hilarious!

No shit. Really? You do realize you repeated this three times, right?

You have no clue what a ZeusIOPS is, and how it's writing algotirm is ENTIRELY different and how different of a drive it is than a convertional flash drive.

Which goes along with the rest of the ignorant and silly antics you've by far displayed on here.

can you post as-ssd for them?

My machine just died the other day, unfortunately. My P67-GD80 shit out with the shitty BIOS... I'm on my Precision M4300 right nau. I have my AsRock Extreme9 delivered, up and ready w/ a 3770K though. And my Quad 470 setup is still here... it's going to get really hot in here in a few days. ;) :cool:

$200 for 100GB is a bit ludacris, however, if you're looking for a server/datacenter SSD, then this is what you should be looking for.

I don't think it's that bad for the performance you appear to be getting. I paid over $200 for an 80GB Intel G2 just a few years ago.

Another enterprise SLC SSD for comparison. It was being slightly used at the time I ran the benchmark, but I couldn't be bothered to close Steam.

Oh yeah, those Hitachi's are hot. A solid 500 MB/s R/W. They aren't all that great in the IOPS department as they, IIRC, push about 40.000 IOPS, which is still way more than sufficient for an everyday comp though.

They're built like a fucking tank, full of Tantalum caps for power back-up, and Hitachi is using an in-house controller they developed together with Intel. Superior to SandForce SF-2281:

http://www.storagereview.com/hitach...0QFjAC&usg=AFQjCNFy8dW8DprjKCAbcYeGZrIgBiiDQg

There was a guy on eBay selling five 200GB versions each for $500. From Germany like you.

What you linked is actually the MLC one in that review. I have a few of the 200gb SLC ones (SSD400S instead of SSD400M). I'm not in Germany though (in the US like most people here). That's just what AS SSD defaulted to and I couldn't be bothered to grab the dlls to change the language.

I actually have two in my desktop at the moment. One as my boot drive and one for Steam (not kidding :D ). I also have one of the Toshiba SAS SLC SSDs laying around on my desk. I guess I should test it too.

On a final note. Unaligned, the speeds are pretty much identical. Not too shabby overall.

Last edited:
That's because of the superiority of the controller. And yeah, I know, I posted the E-MLC one because there's no review on it's SLC version. Yet, it performed very well against SLC drives and offered SLC-like performance due to that excellent Intel-Hitachi controller.

You better align them, I wouldn't run a $500 drive unaligned...

the Toshiba's are more or less the same in performance as the Hitachi's. They're just more expensive because of the "Toshiba" name on them. And they come with 4 Supercaps rather than Tantalums, which have a limited lifetime.

Though, as long as you keep your SSD under 35C, then the SuperCaps will last longer than 5 years:

SuperCapFailureRate_Figure_web_01.png

One is aligned, but the other isn't as I imaged it from a hard drive. Not really worried to be honest. Do keep the drives adequately cooled at least.

Some alternatives to the Fusion-IO... :D

Sandisk Lightning PCI-E SLC drive:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Light...=1358559679&sr=8-6&keywords=sandisk+Lightning

Z-Drive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OCZ-1TB-PCI...?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item19d295fd95

That's actually a great deal for one.

And the VeloDrive.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=4746484&vpn=VDC%2DHHPX8%2D320G&manufacture=OCZ%20TECHNOLOGY

Anybody want a kidney and a liver? By a rough calculation, even if I sold my quad 470 + 570, it still doesn't make up for the price of one...

it goes up to 1100 MB/s read and 125.000 random write IOPS... have always wanted a VeloDrive.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd hold out for the Intel PCIe ones. You also want to avoid OCZ like the plague.

I'd hold out for the Intel PCIe ones. You also want to avoid OCZ like the plague.

Why? There's absolutely nothing wrong with OCZ SSD's, especially the enterprise ones. I've a pair of Deneva R2 SLC's (reference SF-2581's) and they rock shit.

Enterprise drives go through MUCH more rigorous testing than builder drivers to ensure they're bug free. They're no BS. They're built for mission critical applications.

Even then, pretty much ALL SandForce issues have been looked after so far. If you went ahead and bought ANY SandForce drive with the MOST recent firmware, I can guaranfuckintee you you won't have a single issue.

Back