FurMark overnight OK?

eddieck

Gawd
I'd like to do a full system stress test overnight by load testing both the CPU and the GPU. I know running Linpack overnight on the CPU is not a problem, but what about FurMark on the GPU? I will of course be monitoring temps for a few hours, and then I'll let it sit overnight and check it in the morning.

Assuming proper cooling (let's say GPU temp of 85C and under?) will this damage the GPU?

I don't think so. I think it has the same effect as folding.

I wouldn't, but it isn't likely to break your video card, iirc the gts250 is pretty well cooled. Bear in mind that furmark (and i believe occt) wont necessarily expose flaky video memory overclocks (this assumes that you are overclocking the vid card).

If you want to check for GPU stability, OCCT is better. Majority of the time, Furmark doesn't show artifacts but OCCT does immediately. I recommend anyone that thinks their GPU OC is stable give OCCT a try with "Error Checking" enabled

wow, I am happy with furmark testing for half an hour. Just go play some games for a few hours and see if the card is stable then no need to run furmark overnight. I know people want their stuff to be stable but I really don't think running furmark overnight is gonna prove any stability. What if your card just craps out after so much stress after contious torture from furmark. I wouldn't be surprised if the card gives up after 10 hours of furmark where under normal condition it would probably never crap out. Furmark just burns your card I think it is worse for your card then any cpu stress testis for the cpu.

If you want to check for GPU stability, OCCT is better. Majority of the time, Furmark doesn't show artifacts but OCCT does immediately. I recommend anyone that thinks their GPU OC is stable give OCCT a try with "Error Checking" enabled

Thanks for the info - I'd never used OCCT for GPU tests before. Everyone seems to say FurMark is the only GPU test you need, but everyone also says Prime95 is the only CPU test you need which I personally know to be false. IMO, a blend of both tools (Prime95 + LinX or OCCT + FurMark for GPU) is the best solution.

Just go play some games for a few hours and see if the card is stable then no need to run furmark overnight.

I want to know that my system will survive anything, hence why I'd run both CPU and GPU tests at the same time (for maximum heat).

it seems pretty darn stupid to me. games aren't going to stress the card that much for hours on end anyway so just test for 10-15 minutes and be done with it. in the end all you will have done is wasted electricity and put unnecessary stress on your gpu. maybe should just rev your car to redline for 8 hours to make sure it will handle anything you throw at it.

I usually just run GPUTool to scan for artifacts. It's more of a realistic load. 800x600 on OCCT heats up my video card more than Furmark. Hell, OCCT can shut off any reference 4870.

I'd like to do a full system stress test overnight by load testing both the CPU and the GPU. I know running Linpack overnight on the CPU is not a problem, but what about FurMark on the GPU? I will of course be monitoring temps for a few hours, and then I'll let it sit overnight and check it in the morning.

Assuming proper cooling (let's say GPU temp of 85C and under?) will this damage the GPU?

You want to run a stress test, which is, by definition, testing to find out whether your hardware will succeed or fail under stress, but then you ask us if your hardware will fail if you run the stress test. I fail to see the purpose of your question, because it is that question that you would be answering by running the stress test.

[H] said:
Overclocking
To overclock these GeForce GTX 460 video cards, we used NVIDIA System Tools version 6.06. To test our overclocked stability, we used FurMark and our game suite.
link

Back