• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Funny Virus Stories (Removal)

00PS

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
1,798
So an employee here at the office brings me his personal [home] desktop and embarrassedly asks me to assist in the aid of cleaning it, since he couldn't gain connectivity.

Just to see the animal I'm working with, I booted her up offline and was greeted with...well, the desktop was just to hilarious. In no way am I new to viruses but this one was too damn funny.

I'm not sure how much more direct it could be :p

IMG_04701-1.jpg


Anyone else have a funny picture or virus story/tale? Work is slow today....
 
Last edited:
Heh. Looks like most of the PCs I work on, ISP software and all. Only thing I don't see is Limewire...

I hate those rogue AV/antispyware programs. What steps did you take/are you taking to remove it? I can usually get it taken care of between MSE, Malwarebytes, and System Restore if need be but some of the recent ones are proving to be persistent little bastages...
 
I just had to get rid of that crap on a family members PC last week. It was a nice enough version of the old fake antivirus scam that it disabled the start menu, right clicking, ctrl alt delete and safe mode though. I ended up formatting. The other great thing was that if you closed the fake antivirus program it started a shut down timer for 30 seconds so the only thing you can do with the computer is click the pay extortion fee button.
 
Malwarebytes, winsockxpfix, and loaded up MSE on there since he had no security on there to begin with. :eek:

seems clean now after I had to manually remove some rogue .dll files that would run on start up, unfortunately msconfig couldn't disable them.

All good now though.

Usually when it happens to you it's not so funny, but any clients, friends, family come to anyone with they're tail between the legs seeking help?
 
Haha, i just ran into this one today myself.

It was actually pretty easy to clean off.

So far my fav ones have been the nudetube.com ones. I give people hell when i see that lol
 
+1, virus != fun. I can't say I enjoy fixing infected pc's, but if the end result is positive, I always feel like I have accomplished something.

Definitely. Cleaning infected pc's is a challenge that I love taking on.

I'm not sure if anyone here uses Skype, but I usually walk into the office every morning and have some stupid spam ad telling me to click a link to clean my registry or some other bs. Thats always a good laugh at 5:30 am.

Block > check "report abuse" > done :D
 
Can't say I have any funny virus stories....I like building/maintaining servers, building networks, fiddling with firewalls, building/being creative. I groan when we have trivial boring time consuming crap like cleaning malware. It's a waste of time, and it's hard to charge full $125.00 hourly rates for that, as well as hard to charge for your entire time spent....thus it cuts into your paycheck.

Our break/fixit guy at the office is SLAMMED with the huge increase in rogues over the past few weeks, notably Internet Security 2010, and Antivirus Live is making a big comeback. I did 2x machines so far this week...each with one of those 2 rogues.

The only slightly funny stories I can muster up....many years ago, in the Win9X days, we had a PC come into our service bench from some....the girl at the front desk was joking at how much of a..flamer..the guy was who brought in the computer. Old guy too, in his 60's it seemed. The computer was infected with some virus, back then one of those common RCP/DCOM exploit viruses probably, Blaster or something. Anyways, our service guy boots up the computer....and we hear him cracking up and moaning and "Ewww...gross"...go and look at what he's making all the fuss about...and the wall paper on this old flaming guys computer is a picture of him and his equally old man lover, both laying back in bed....naked....spooning.

Another story...around last winter, one of the nurses at a home healthcare agency I take care of, she asked me to fix up her home PC. She thought it had some virus on it. Sure enough, I take it home, boot it up, and it has one of the popular rogues that was going around last winter, Personal Antivirus or XP Antivirus 2009 or something like that. I tell her she had some "rogue" on there...she gives me some confused look...I explain to her what rogues/fake alerts/scareware is...and she says.."Oh..those are fake, I thought it was real, I gave them my credict card....TWICE". :rolleyes: I told her to cancer her credit card at her earliest convenience.
 
Anyways, our service guy boots up the computer....and we hear him cracking up and moaning and "Ewww...gross"...go and look at what he's making all the fuss about...and the wall paper on this old flaming guys computer is a picture of him and his equally old man lover, both laying back in bed....naked....spooning.

Sounds like they were having a lemon party... ;)
 
MSE on a work/business computer = license violation, it's only licensed for home and home office users.

No worries it was his personal computer, he was looking at the bad stuff at home :rolleyes:. We normally don't have any security breaches here at the office which we're using Forefront.
 
The only slightly funny stories I can muster up....many years ago, in the Win9X days, we had a PC come into our service bench from some....the girl at the front desk was joking at how much of a..flamer..the guy was who brought in the computer. Old guy too, in his 60's it seemed. The computer was infected with some virus, back then one of those common RCP/DCOM exploit viruses probably, Blaster or something. Anyways, our service guy boots up the computer....and we hear him cracking up and moaning and "Ewww...gross"...go and look at what he's making all the fuss about...and the wall paper on this old flaming guys computer is a picture of him and his equally old man lover, both laying back in bed....naked....spooning.

Another story...around last winter, one of the nurses at a home healthcare agency I take care of, she asked me to fix up her home PC. She thought it had some virus on it. Sure enough, I take it home, boot it up, and it has one of the popular rogues that was going around last winter, Personal Antivirus or XP Antivirus 2009 or something like that. I tell her she had some "rogue" on there...she gives me some confused look...I explain to her what rogues/fake alerts/scareware is...and she says.."Oh..those are fake, I thought it was real, I gave them my credict card....TWICE". :rolleyes: I told her to cancer her credit card at her earliest convenience.

#1 Aw man, thats not funny. I'm sorry your coworker had to endur that. :p

#2 It's sad to say some people really fall for that stuff. Sometimes they look rather legitimate, and unfortunately less computer savvy people could become victims of that so easily. I'm sure if it wasn't for me, my mom would be clicking away. Thank goodness she now asks, "why is this antivirus 2010 asking me for my credit card? I thought I already had an AntiVirus, should I enter it in?". *phew lol
 
I cant say i have had any interesting stories. If someones personal laptop is infected sometimes we will look at them if we have spare time. The usual bajillion ie toolbars, spyware, and fake antivirus programs, nothing special. If a work machine gets infected, we just press "the button". Putting a fresh install is faster than it takes to do a full scan in any program, and much safer too.
 
I had one funny virus removal while working with a helpdesk. I was helping out a guy in the Phillipines (thankfully he spoke AMAZING english unlike everyone else I worked with on this issue). Every time they tried to load Groupwise it would reboot his computer. So I started doing some testing and found out that whenever a command prompt window opened up (our groupwise install would run a script via command prompt) the computer would reboot. The normal company virus scanner wasn't finding anything so after a few installs of other AV software I found the virus. It was a flash drive virus. The virus literally had spread person to person, his son picked it up at a CyberCafe, brought it home where it jumped onto the customers flash drive and onto the businesses computers.

I gave him removal instructions and he was as happy as a clam... too bad he had a huge mess to clean up! That thumbdrive had Super-Aids and had infected about 30 machines.
 
Can't say I have any funny virus stories....I like building/maintaining servers, building networks, fiddling with firewalls, building/being creative. I groan when we have trivial boring time consuming crap like cleaning malware. It's a waste of time, and it's hard to charge full $125.00 hourly rates for that, as well as hard to charge for your entire time spent....thus it cuts into your paycheck.

I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I do groan when I have to do it at work, because I'd rather be doing other things and I tend to get annoyed at stupid users that feel the need to explore and/or click everything that pops up on the screen without thinking first or calling IT. I don't mind doing it on the side so much, but it is hard to charge for. I usually end up charging less than my normal rate because I don't like to bill people for time spent not actively working on the computer (i.e. waiting for a scan to finish or for Windows updates to download). But they usually realize I'm cutting them a break and it keeps them coming back, so repeat business is the upside to doing it that way.
 
I remember trying to remove an early Vundo variant on my granddad's PC via LogMeIn. Good times.
Apparently, I couldn't bring up the Task manager via Ctrl+alt+del or the run dialog, but unfortunately for Mr. Virus Writer, I was able to launch it via Ctrl+shift+esc and kill just enough of the virus to install MBAM.


Funny that this thread was posted the same day this came out.
retro_virus.png
 
The other great thing was that if you closed the fake antivirus program it started a shut down timer for 30 seconds so the only thing you can do with the computer is click the pay extortion fee button.

"shutdown /a" is your friend ;)

I've dealt with that before... computer boots up, shortly after a shutdown timer.

Start -> Run -> shutdown /a
aborts the shutdown process.

doesn't always work, but something to keep in mind :D
 
Back
Top