Funny noise from GTX 280 when running atitool artifact tester.

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
it's almost like a whine or a screech. Card is not overclocked just got it yesterday and this worries me.

I've turned the fan on max or off to see if it was fan whine and it's not. Should I RMA it?

No, it's perfectly normal. All modern (high-end at least) video cards exhibit that behaviour. My HD4870 is the same, my HD3870 before was the same.

Nothing to worry about..my 8800TX squealed and my 260GTX's squeal also when loaded up....

well this is news to me!
last card i had was a 8800GTS512 and i consider that high end!

My 8800GTS512 would make the slightest squeal which was audible only with my ear pressed to the case and running something like F@H GPU version.

My first GTX260 didn't catch my attention with any noise. It was the BFG OC which wasn't OCed.

The replacement for it squeals quite audibly at weird times - like between benchmarks in 3DMark Vantage, and bursts in the middle of the cinematics at the beginning of Crysis Wars. I don't think the first one did that....

My 8800GTS squealed and ive heard my GTX280 do it also. I talked to EVGA and they said its common with the power hungery high end cards. He said sometimes you will get one that won't do it as bad. I don't notice it in games.

My 260s both make noise when loaded up with f@h. After a while you get used to it? It's perfectly normal.

Yep, it's annoying, but unfortunately it's fairly common. My GTX 280 does it when stress testing and my 8800GTX did it to a lesser extent. Hell, my old ATI X800XL did it.

My XFX GTX280 does the same thing yet i guy i game with has 2x evga gtx280's and they don't squeal. However i think the old chap is going a Lil deaf and might not be able to hear it, because lets face it its hardily audible

Actually it's quite audible on my replacement GTX260. Not sure whether I should re-RMA for it. I'm still evaluating just how often it kicks into "loud".

The F@H squeal is still very quiet on this card but it lets out a "squeeeep" between 3DMark benchmarks that I can hear over fans and outside of the wooden desk cabinet my PC is in from a normal sitting position in front of the monitor. Not so cool. OTOH it doesn't sit there squealing like this throughout a whole game or benchmark.

Hmm well im running my 280 gtx in an antec 900 with all the fans set to low and i cant hear it when gaming unless i put my head right up to the case. and i have VERY good hearing too.

Im almost convinced its coming from the card, however on my first PSU and card combination (tagan piperock 700W) the PSU squaled so much i could hear little else.

That said i have only had my build working for a few days now i have changed my PSU to the coolermaster M850 so will test tonight and see what results i get. As i am also thinking of RMA'ing mine just to see if i get a silent one......

Both of my Corsair PSUs (HX520, HX620) buzz and squeal when I benchmark or game. I don't have any other parts to test with, so I can't determine which component is at fault.

Have you tried running the PSU out of the case to help you determine where the noise is coming from?
Failing that (as seen suggested elsewhere on this forum) Try rolling up a news paper and holding it to your ear over a few components ie gfx card then PSU to see if it helps you pin point the noise?

I ran my HX520 outside of the case, and it was making the noise. I'm 100% it's the PSUs.

Problem is, Corsair says it's a bad VR on the GPU, and others say it's cheap components or capacitors not wound tightly enough in the PSU.

Im in the same boat. The piperock was unbarable with the noise so i changed it to the coolermaster m850 and the problem dissapeared. Still get the ghey buzz on the 280 though. Dam computers. Will double and tripple check where the noise is coming from tonight when i get home. But im certain its the gfx card. If its the PSU again im going to cry.

Mine does it too, but I think you'll find that it will never do it in games. Just ATITool.

usually only does it on the intro screens to video games and then stops. I have heard it a couple times when I alt tabbed. Its not very loud or even that noticeable unless I listen for it. now if it did it all the time it would bother me. TBH over the years I have heard much noisier motherboards than this video card.

I have the GTX260 and have not heard this, I just upgraded to this PSU from a Seasonic S12 600W that ran my two 8800GTS 512s but was not up to the task for this card. I have very quiet case. I wonder if you ran it a lower resolution would you still hear it (just for sake of experimentation of course)?

I have the GTX260 and have not heard this, I just upgraded to this PSU from a Seasonic S12 600W that ran my two 8800GTS 512s but was not up to the task for this card. I have very quiet case. I wonder if you ran it a lower resolution would you still hear it (just for sake of experimentation of course)?
are you really saying that a 600watt Seasonic couldnt power your system with a gtx260? that system would have never pulled more than 300 watts under load. hell mine pulls less than 200 watts under load during gaming.

My XFX 8800GTX XXX makes a high pitch noise when its under some chronic load, not always, only notice it when my headphones are off lol

Back