functional blowhole writeup (many PICS)

hardwired

[H]ard|Gawd
The top of my 710 was getting mad hot so i decided to evict all that hot air with a 120. here's the disassembly:
disassembly.jpg

drilling the top panel rivets:

no-rivets.jpg

the middle rivets that the front panel bolted to were a serious PITA. they are the big fat ones still mostly intact.

topless 710:
topless.jpg

measuring:
measure-1.jpg

making the marks:
markup.jpg

4.5" holesaw money shot:
holesaw.jpg

I realised REAL quick that my craptastic 13.2V drill couldnt spin the holesaw worth a damn...
owned.jpg

...so i made a quick run to the sears
drills.jpg

needless to say, problem solved:
hole.jpg

a few minutes later, i mounted a temp grill onto it pending the arrival of my really cool new fangrilles (the fan is a delta WFB1212M, 78CFM)
temp2.jpg

case ambient temps dropped 5°C.

hope you liked it, fellows!

edit: I reattached the top with machine screws in the back and fanscrews in the front.

How much did the 120mm hole saw cost? Im doing a similar project this weekend..

Originally posted by Mikesta
How much did the 120mm hole saw cost? Im doing a similar project this weekend..

24 for the holesaw and 12 for the arbor

edit: in retrospect, if i had known i would be buying a new drill i would have def bought the 1/2" arbor

Originally posted by hardwired

...so i made a quick run to the sears
drills.jpg

Oh man. I have that same drill. It is so awesome, I love having two batteries accessible. Torque control is awesome. Just hacked off the rivets on the back of my case for my desk mod.

Originally posted by IceWind
Your braver then I am. I sure as hell won't take rivets outa my case.

to be honest, it was a BITCH getting the top back on. oh man it was rough. i tell you. mostly cos of the annoying top piece on the 710 that insists the screws be flush.

oh well its sorted now.

Originally posted by eL c0L0mb1aNo
Oh man. I have that same drill. It is so awesome, I love having two batteries accessible. Torque control is awesome. Just hacked off the rivets on the back of my case for my desk mod.

I have the same drill as well, and i fell in love with it after the first use:) Definately the most powerful drill i've ever owned, corded or cordless. If your in the market for a drill, BUY the 19.2v Craftsman, you won't regret it!

Originally posted by eL c0L0mb1aNo
my dad bought this drill too, sears had it for 99 bucks i think with an extra battery and case, this things rips the shit outta anything it touches:D love it!

- o btw anyone know how to get the top off of a cheiftec x-pider case?

dont think there is a diffrence? but i see some weird screws holding it in. it seems like it needs a pointed tipped screw driver to remove it.

Hate to argue with you guys, but Makita pwns all other drills :D

::eek:n topic:: Good job man. You had better luck than I did with a hole saw, I ended up getting the wrong size so the diameter of my cut was slightly larger than the dimension of my fan. Doesnt matter now, gonna cut the sides out where I did my two fans and put in some plexi window goodness.

Originally posted by Tanis143

in a rechargeable? at the $100 pricerange?

i dont think so. this one is a fuckin proper value, m8.

Nice stuff dude.....I always love seein' little mods like this.

Me thinks I need a good drill too. :p

Originally posted by cornelious0_0
Nice stuff dude.....I always love seein' little mods like this.

Me thinks I need a good drill too. :p

i totally didnt think it was that big of a deal until i bought it. its so profoundly great! worth every penny, trust me.

Originally posted by hardwired
i totally didnt think it was that big of a deal until i bought it. its so profoundly great! worth every penny, trust me.

Don't worry, I do. I'm gonna be doing some cuts to my Lian-Li this month and possibly painting it this summer. I know full well what is reccommended for prep and so on. Thx for the pics though, a visual always helps.

i'd anodise it instead of painting it. cpu magazine's guide this month loox bitchin. $75 aint bad at all for the results they get.

Originally posted by adan
looks nice, i used a plasma cutter to make my 120 blow hole

good lord, why? i used one once to cut a case window and found it to be vastly overkill.

its like using a chainsaw to trim flowers.

Originally posted by blindviper
should I stop doing this?

godspeed to you, sir, if you feel comfortable with it. to each his own.

personally, i hate flowers.

school has one, had advanced metal shop class, got bored so i used a plama cutter, cutting torch would of been over kill

i used one back in art school metal shop, but not since.

its not exactly a domestic tool by any means.

i used a jigsaw to cut a 120mm blowhole today. all i can say is GET THE HOLESAW. it took forever and came out pretty crappy.

Originally posted by Chunk
i used a jigsaw to cut a 120mm blowhole today. all i can say is GET THE HOLESAW. it took forever and came out pretty crappy.

Will do dude, dont worry. ;)

Originally posted by Tanis143

Im a wood worker and im in charge of buying equipement for ~30 employee, i can say Makita are near the wrost electric equipement i ever tried. They are good for Mr.Everyone who use it 5 time a year, but nothing more. And most of their model has no dust protection, like sealed rotors. In a woodworking shop, theres dust everywhere... theres no way they can last.

Makita gave us 3 drill (marketing freebie), and 1 month later 2 had rotor problem, the other lasted 3 month. Now all we use is Bosch drills. They do break too, and they cost alot to repair, but in the long run, they are way cheaper.

Altough i dont recommend Bosch electric equipement... unless you use it on a regular basis, or just want the best toys.

Originally posted by embro
Im a wood worker and im in charge of buying equipement for ~30 employee, i can say Makita are near the wrost electric equipement i ever tried. They are good for Mr.Everyone who use it 5 time a year, but nothing more. And most of their model has no dust protection, like sealed rotors. In a woodworking shop, theres dust everywhere... theres no way they can last.

Makita gave us 3 drill (marketing freebie), and 1 month later 2 had rotor problem, the other lasted 3 month. Now all we use is Bosch drills. They do break too, and they cost alot to repair, but in the long run, they are way cheaper.

Altough i dont recommend Bosch electric equipement... unless you use it on a regular basis, or just want the best toys.

Well, all I can say is you must have abused those drills. I have two that my father in law used on a daily basis at many different jobs, including working in an animal shelter. So far the ONLY problem the makita's have is the batteries are finally starting to give out, after 8+ years of use, then a few years of not too much use.

And yes, the Makita's are somewhat more expensive than Craftsman, but for what I get out of them, the price is worth it.

How do you like your new Craftsman drill, did you get the kit with the light also?

I just got one but have not had a chance to give it a try yet, seems quite powerful.

Also when you let go of the button can you see a blue "flame" inside of one of the cutouts?

yeah i got the one with the light.
yes, you can see the sparks.

fin_blowhole.jpg

finished blowhole.

its layered like this:
screws
snowflake grille
spacers
case
silicone anti-vibration gasket
Delta WFB1212M on 7V
inside fangrille

edit: theres some thin moulding around the edge also

I always use allen screws for all my fans. Home Deopt sells them 6 to a pack I believe. There is one size that threads perfectly into the fan holes and holds them nice and tight. I can't remember the size off hand, but it's not to hard to find them if you bring in a fan. They look so much better than screws.

120mmfan2.JPG

Originally posted by embro
i can say Makita are near the wrost electric equipement i ever tried.

Speaking as a Carpenter....I also feel that Makitas are not worth a crap.

Dewalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Craftsman (more specifically the last 3) are the only ones I would EVER recommend to people. Not only because of their quality and durability, but because they are made in the USA.

things made in USA arent always necessarily better. for example, the iwaki pumps made in america aren't nearly as good as the japanese ones.

that having been said, all my electric tools are american, and my hand ones are either american or russian (russian pliers > *)

i really should get new screws, those are just some door screws i had laying around. i've just not had the chance to go to home depot this weekend.

Originally posted by Absolut Talent
Speaking as a Carpenter....I also feel that Makitas are not worth a crap.

Dewalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Craftsman (more specifically the last 3) are the only ones I would EVER recommend to people. Not only because of their quality and durability, but because they are made in the USA.

speaking as a sparky i would agree with dewalt milwaukee is ok but i must say if i had the choice i would stay with my own cordless i bought 15.6 v panasonic 3.5 A hour but my second choice if i had one would be dewalt sure they are expensive but with life time waranty i have on my pano its well worth it

mmm pano goes through everything so far then again i would really like a 24 v rotory panasonic drill but they cost 1500 here in australia :(

for me, the best hand tools are craftsman (snap on is thebest, but i dont need to pay 5x more for the same thing witha life timewarranty.)

i feel that craftsmans power tools are junk.

for a lot of stuff, i prefer Makita... and milwaukee for some heavier duty stuff.

dewalt, hitachi, ryobi, craftsman, they all suck in my mind for power tools

porter and cable do make some nice circular saws though.

Back