• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fun with moving water + 300d

Neb

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 13, 2000
Messages
3,320
took a hike yesterday, first time shooting a river, so I was mostly experimenting the whole day. Did have a couple shots come out pretty well. here's one for a sample :)

sample.jpg
 
Nice pic. Water is one of my favorite subjects too. I really wish I had more time to go exploring with my camera. Some of my favorites are like yours but taken with me standing in the middle of the stream.
 
ok dumb question time. how exactly did you get that shot? I know you have to lengthen the exposure but what other settings do you use? I tried to do something like that while I was on a hike in Estes National Park in Colorado and I couldn't get any combination of settings to work right.
 
maxelhombre said:
Nice pic. Water is one of my favorite subjects too. I really wish I had more time to go exploring with my camera. Some of my favorites are like yours but taken with me standing in the middle of the stream.

something, say....like this?

sample2.jpg
 
tinstaafl said:
ok dumb question time. how exactly did you get that shot? I know you have to lengthen the exposure but what other settings do you use? I tried to do something like that while I was on a hike in Estes National Park in Colorado and I couldn't get any combination of settings to work right.

general rules of thumb is that you'll want a polarizer to remove any stray distracting reflections from rocks and what not, you'll want and/or pray for an overcast sky, as it makes proper exposure MUCH easier, you're going to want a high aperature to capture all the detail of the scene, and you're generally want a 1-3 second exposure to capture the silkyness of the water :)
 
I love to shoot a lot of water shots too. I like your second image better, you use more of the frame focussing on what's interesting, although there's something off to the left in the background that I don't like.

What's the exposure time on these? Like 1/4 or 1/2 a sec (depending on the speed)?

You could shoot them at a slower shutter speed and get even smoother water.
 
emorphien said:
I love to shoot a lot of water shots too. I like your second image better, you use more of the frame focussing on what's interesting, although there's something off to the left in the background that I don't like.

What's the exposure time on these? Like 1/4 or 1/2 a sec (depending on the speed)?

You could shoot them at a slower shutter speed and get even smoother water.

yes, the road and trail are directly next to the stream, so that made it difficult to get an immersive shot. So I just waited till there was no car there and went for it :eek:

The exposure for this one was 1.3seconds at 100iso. I was experimenting with various exposures, and it seemed that this one turned out best, though I'll try more variations next time I'm there.
 
misan-thrope said:
An IS or incredibly steady hands helps too :p

can't believe I forgot TRIPOD! if you don't get anything else, get a tripod! :p
 
Neb said:
yes, the road and trail are directly next to the stream, so that made it difficult to get an immersive shot. So I just waited till there was no car there and went for it :eek:

The exposure for this one was 1.3seconds at 100iso. I was experimenting with various exposures, and it seemed that this one turned out best, though I'll try more variations next time I'm there.
Yeah the exposure is good. I'm surprised that's 1.3 seconds (thinks) maybe I'm off base... or that was a slow stream :D

I hate roads and things when they creep in your pictures, they should go elsewhere!
 
Back
Top