Fun network timeout issue

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
My home network is laid out thusly:

networkh.jpg

Linksys WRT400N dual band router
Linksys 2x WGA600N dual band bridges
5x computers and an xbox 360
All three wireless devices are operating on the 5Ghz band and generally it's clear.

Now I recently brought in a system I had at my office to be another machine at home to work on, however when I set it up for whatever reason it's badly timing out network-wise when it hits my router. It's difficult to even download a 10MB file because it will timeout before it finishes in many cases. I run a ping to my router with a -t and watch it and it will timeout every minute or so and come back. Now here are the odd parts:

* I don't timeout while pinging any other computer locally also connected to my switch.
* I don't timeout while pinging the WGA600N bridge.
* I don't timeout while pinging the OTHER WGA600N bridge which is technically going through the router I'd think, though it could be directly pinging it wirelessly.
* The other two computers plugged into the switch with me DO NOT timeout at all while hitting the router.
* I also timeout while pinging the WHS which is physically attached to the router.
* I've tried several different network card drivers with no change, I've done a clean install of Win7, AND as far as I can recall there were no network issues back at my office.
* Kids computer is using the exact same motherboard with the same onboard realtek NIC. I even matched it's driver to be sure.
* I swapped cables with other working PCs with no change.
* I swapped switch ports with other PCs with no change.

So basically wtf. The issue seems to be completely between my computer and the router, and all other connectivity appears to be absolutely fine. I am going crazy. I am trying to figure out if the router is somehow not liking my machine specifically but I can't figure out why and the logs don't seem to show anything.

spare NIC floating around to try out for the hell of it?

honestly... I can't think of anything else.

that is bizaar.

Yeah I don't have a spare NIC here but that's my next step. I'm fairly savvy on troubleshooting and long ago I had a network certification but I can't for the life of my figure this one out.

Welp I plugged in a spare wireless card and it pings my router just fine, so I'm at a loss. That basically means it's the network card though as I said before it worked fine. Unless it's something funky like the router doesn't like that NIC's mac address or something crazy.

Back