Full vs Widescreen DVD

hillbillie

n00b
I have had a HTPC built for me, bought a new Toshiba 37" HDTV. Which movies are better to take advantage of the widescreen TV Full Screen or Wide Screen. I have a bunch of wide screen dvds already but there are black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

thanks for the help everyone

Widescreen is always the way to go. It sounds like you are describing anamorphic widescreen, which doesn't quite match the 16:9 ratio of your set. The benefits of this are that you get the full frame as it was intended for the theater. Full screen will put black bars on the side AND cut out details included in the original. Buy OAR (original aspect ratio) whenever possible.

All of the DVDs I buy from Wally World says "widescreen" on the top, these are the best for the widescreen tv I have right?

Movies are filmed in different aspect ratios. Some are 16x9 and fill the entire screen of a wide screen TV others are from a wider film stock so they have a larger field of view and will have black bars at the top and bottom. IT all depends on how directors artistic view and want to show his film.

All of the DVDs I buy from Wally World says "widescreen" on the top, these are the best for the widescreen tv I have right?

yes, a widescreen tv is optimum when viewing a "widescreen" dvd. That widescreen 16:9 ratio are most films native ratio, and your screen's resolution is running that ratio aswell. Though even if you had a 4:3 standard television I would always recommend getting your dvd's in widescreen as the fullscreen (or fullframe) movies have to be altered to fit.

Most widescreen movies are 16x9, but most widescreen Tvs are 16x10. hance the reason you have black bars ontop and bottom. i been downloading some movie trailors lately and it looks like some new movies are even coming out ina even wider format than 16x9. On my 16x10 monitor with the video in fullscreen mode less then half the hight of the display is used. which means it is something close to a 16x5 ratio, this is insane, we get widescreen displays and the movie comanies make even wider movies so we are forced to go back to useing black bars again, WTF!

I downloaded both the new Fantistic 4 and Transformers trailors, at 50% reolution they are 1280 x 540, I cant watch them at full res. there both suppose to be 1080 HD versions. but 1080 is not 2560x1080 which is what you would need to watch these full screen, full reolution.

Most widescreen movies are 16x9, but most widescreen Tvs are 16x10. hance the reason you have black bars ontop and bottom.
No, most (probably all) widescreen TVs are 16:9. Most widescreen computer monitors are 16:10.

The reason for the black bars is a lot of movies are 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. 16:9 is 1.7778:1. As a results both of those will shows bars on the top and bottom.

Back