Full system stress test of laptop

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a few laptops that are having random BSODs. I think I've figured out the causes (various issues with BIOS, wireless drivers etc.) and addressed them, but I'd like to do some stress testing of all the various I/O subsystems to see if I can provoke a fault.

While some CPU load would be nice, I'm not looking for OCCT but something with a stronger system perspective. I'd like to stress the local disk with some random I/O. I want to pull data off wifi near the limits of bandwidth. I want some GPU load going on. I definitely want some heavy system RAM stress. I want to run these tests with my antivirus, drive encryption, etc. software running so I can build up some confidence that the issues are in the past.

Any suggestion on a tool that I can use that does multi-device, I/O-oriented stress testing?

(If not, my plan is to have a cmdlet to batch copy thousands of small files back and forth between local storage and remote fileshare over wifi, while running some disk stress test, while having a curl script grab a random set of websites every ten seconds, while hopefully running some GPU test that runs in windowed mode.

You can test your WiFi by swapping huge files over your network or just download them off the web.

All of the other stress tests are identical to a PC, which is to say Linpack, Prime95, memtest86+, SMART/chkdsk and all the other oft-used software will work just as well as they do for a desktop.

For GPU stress I wouldn't bother with Furmark as it doesn't accurately represent a real world scenario. Instead you can just fire up a game or two from Steam and see how the temperatures fair via HWmonitor or MSI Afterburner

You can test your WiFi by swapping huge files over your network or just download them off the web.

All of the other stress tests are identical to a PC, which is to say Linpack, Prime95, memtest86+, SMART/chkdsk and all the other oft-used software will work just as well as they do for a desktop.

For GPU stress I wouldn't bother with Furmark as it doesn't accurately represent a real world scenario. Instead you can just fire up a game or two from Steam and see how the temperatures fair via HWmonitor or MSI Afterburner

This is pretty solid. First thing I'd check is temperatures though, having dust/pet hair lodged in a laptop, or even manufacturing problems with thermal paste/whatever are pretty common occurrences and you might be seeing BSOD's because of overheating (and not even know it because the laptop doesn't seem to get crazy hot!)

This is pretty solid. First thing I'd check is temperatures though, having dust/pet hair lodged in a laptop, or even manufacturing problems with thermal paste/whatever are pretty common occurrences and you might be seeing BSOD's because of overheating (and not even know it because the laptop doesn't seem to get crazy hot!)

I have been handed a few laptops to repair that were so caked with dust and dog/cat/people hair that you could not see through the cooler. My first step is to fire up the air compressor and blow out the heat sinks in reverse normal flow direction with a few 120+ psi bursts. This usually results in a big cloud of shit you really don't want to breath in. Just because the laptop isn't burning up hot doesn't mean it isn't overheating beyond spec for the components, lower end laptops tend to be made with lower end components that will fail at lower temperatures.

Last edited:
Back