• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Full-screen artifacts - is the card screwed?

rhy7s

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 13, 2002
Messages
314
Been an expensive week, power surges took out two PSUs and I'm not sure if anything else went with them. Three sticks of RAM at least are kaput (neverending errors in memtest), a hard drive is failing and I've got a dicky switch outside the return period.

Anyway, the topic title. The fan failed on a trusty 8500le and I was getting magenta sprinkle artifacts so pulled off the heatsinks (covers RAM chips on one side and GPU and RAM on the other). Put AS3 on the GPU and generic white goop on the RAM, chucked things back together with another fan and the initial boot was fine. Next boot was grey lines. Thought, oh no, probably AS3 has got where it shouldn't so tried cleaning up anything that looked suspect. Now it's just a screen full of primary colours.

Do you reckon something has fried beyond saving? Do I swamp the card in isopropyl and attempt to scrub it clean? Or just give it up to the GPU graveyard?



Looking at cheap replacements, would the 9550 be a half-decent replacement? I don't really play games much, and if so not above 1024x768 so spending extra on gaming capability is pretty much wasted in my case. Just want something day-to-day capable and fanless really.
 
First thing, you need to get yourself a UPS, you're having far too many power problems.

What type of PSU did you buy ?

There's a chance the video card was killed by the power but I can't tell you ... clean it with isopropyl and blow away with air can .. sometimes some AS3/5 get's under the ram and you can't reach it.
 
Yeah, I've got two UPSs (plus the laptop is sort of pseudo UPS powered) but a few more computers in more locations than can be catered for by them. I've got to reduce the number of aging computers here a bit really, too much of a drain on resources. The last PSU to go was an Enermax, one before a cheap Powerman and an Enermax before that. I'll put the card aside for a while and have another crack at it some time in future.
 
Back
Top