full install of a xp pro

artistream

n00b
im trying to install win xp on a pc but the activation code on the pc wont work. now, the pc was legitimately bought along with the os. for some reason hp says the pc is too old to send out a repair disc. so i obtained a new copy of win xp, but since i was half way through the install process with the original disc, it wouldnt let me use the cd key from the new one. my issue, i plugged the HD into another computer and reformatted it, put it back into the old pc and now i can boot to disc. all i get is a blank screen and NTLDR not found, press ctrl alt del to restart. is something wong with the software or hardware? thanks

You put the hard drive into another computer and reformatted it, thus removing Windows from the hard drive. The "NTLDR is Missing" is an error that you get when the XP boot loader is working but the file that it needs to work is gone. If you are trying to boot from the install of Windows that "was" on that hard drive, you're pretty much screwed. If you are trying to boot from the CD, check your boot order in your computers setup. (Usually "F1" or "Delete" when you first start the computer) Check the boot order and make sure that your CD/DVD drive is before the hard drive. Then just hit "F10" to save changes and reboot. This will get your computer booting to the optical drive before attempting to boot to the hard drive.

Assuming your new disc is a legit MS disc, all you'd have to do is boot from it to run a clean, fresh install.

doesnt sound like its booting to the CD. do you see the message that says "press any key to boot from cd"?

Back