Full Immersion Cooling

I am trying to design a cooling system using this new FluidXP+ stuff. I was thinking that seen as its non-conductive why not just immerse the whole mobo in a tank and use passive heatsinks? I've seen it done with oil but eventually that results in carbon buildup causing a short. Also oil can't be pumped with a standard hardware. With the FluidXP+ I was thinking that I could pump it through a radiator then split it in several smaller pipes directed at the essential hot areas. The liquid would be drawn from the top of the tank where it is hottest. Natural convection should keep the coolest area at the bottom of the tank. Maybe this could be combined with a peltier water chiller for added effect? There are a few problems with the design though, like how to get the cables out of the tank. I was thinking about just cutting a hole and sealing in the ports but then I realised they are hardly likely to be waterproof. The other consideration is the HD's. Im not sure whether they are properly sealed. Possibly they could be sealed in a metal box making contact with the drive so the heat is transfered to the outside, but yet again there is the cable issue. They will be SerialATA so no huge parallel cables to cope with.

Any ideas on these challeges or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to get some sketches up as soon as I work out the cables/HD problems. :cool:

Balls, well I just read the sticky and obviously this isn't the place for questions. Could a mod move it elsewhere please?

I think zer0 meant that the sticky itself should be just pictures, while questions should be in threads like the one you created.

All the drives would definitely have to be not in the fluid (although if you want them cooled, you might be able to make a copper or aluminum housing or something that is waterproof.

The cables are an issue. I think every time I saw this even attempted, people just had the cables coming out of the top of whatever they had the fluid in (fluid of choice was mineral oil at the time).

Personally, I think it would be simpler and probably work better to go with some other way of cooling.

If you go the water-chilling route, peltiers aren't really your best option. Unless you had a whole bunch of them, they wouldn't be able to handle the heatload of a CPU + mobo + videocard + etc. You'd also have to worry about cooling the hot sides of the peltiers themselves, and you'd need to find a power supply capable of supplying energy to all of those peltiers.

A better idea would be to use a phase change set up. A dehumidifier would probably work best, since they can run continuously and it would be fairly easy to mod it so that the evaporator can fit inside of your container.

Back